Accomodations Options in Nairobi. Fully Furnished Vs Non-Furnished?

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to move to Nairobi with my wife and daughter and was looking for some guidance on accomodation options available. I will be working in Central Business District so would prefer a flat or apartment nearby that area. However I am not sure if I should go for a furnished flat or a non-furnished setup. Can anyone tell me what is the average rental for a 2 Bedroom comfortable apartment (both furnishes/un-furnished).

Would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Regards

Khalid.

Try this website it may help. numbeo.com  it gives detailed cost of living and much other information for many countries and places around the world.

Thanks Stumpy but I am not sure if the information is relaiable at numbeo. I think it would be better to get a locals point of view if possible.

Regards

Khalid

Hallo Khalid,
If you will be working within the Central District the most convinient areas would be Kilimani,Milimani and Westlands area.
A 2bedroom on the said areas go for between Kes 60,000/= to 75,000/= for the unfurnished option while the furnished goes for between Kes 80,000/= to 130,000/=
Hope this information will be a good guide as you move to Nairobi.

Regards,
Monica

Hello Khalid,

If you are planning on staying for less than a year, go for the furnished option.

Akinyi

weith wrote:

Hallo Khalid,
If you will be working within the Central District the most convinient areas would be Kilimani,Milimani and Westlands area.
A 2bedroom on the said areas go for between Kes 60,000/= to 75,000/= for the unfurnished option while the furnished goes for between Kes 80,000/= to 130,000/=
Hope this information will be a good guide as you move to Nairobi.

Regards,
Monica

Dear Monica, Many thanks for your reply! I have hears Westland is a good area with a lot of foreigners and expats there. is that true?

Also when you say furnished, does that mean it would include services as well e.g. cleaning service or only basic furniture?

akinyiadongo wrote:

Hello Khalid,

If you are planning on staying for less than a year, go for the furnished option.

Akinyi

Thanks for your reply Akinyi...Actually i would probably be staying for 2 -3 years at the least..so in this scenario you would suggest I get an unfurnished one? but i really am worried about the hassle of buying every piece of furniture from scratch :(

True. In that case rent a furnished place for two to three months as you look around for a house and furniture you like in preparation for the three years.

To answer your question, yes, Westlands is popular with expats.

skhalid wrote:

Dear Monica, Many thanks for your reply! I have hears Westland is a good area with a lot of foreigners and expats there. is that true?

Also when you say furnished, does that mean it would include services as well e.g. cleaning service or only basic furniture?

Khalid,
Westlands is quite popular with foreigners and expats, due to its proximity to major shopping malls,International schools,quality Hotels ,bar and restaurants. It is equally a generally safe area.

To answer your other question;furnished apartments have the basic furniture (for both living and dining rooms)beddings,kitchen(cooker,microwave,electric kettle,coffeemaker,utensils),washing machine and in most of them Internt connection is available.Housekeeping twice weekly is also covered in the charges. If you however wish to have a daily house maid services ,the cost will be covered by yourself.
Utility bills (water and electricity)are billed monthly as per your household's consumption.

Furnished apartments offers you the peace of mind for you do not have to go thru' the hassle of furnishing the house and eventually selling off the stuff when your duty comes to and end . But then again it all depends on your personal preference.

Regards,
Monica

Hi Khalid,
I came to Nairobi a year ago and also wanted to be close to the Central Bussiness District (without actually living there). I have seen a lot and found a place I am very happy with in Upper Hill. I first wanted to rent furnished (for convenience), but to begin with I didn't see furniture I liked, so looked at many nice unfurnished apartments. In the end I found a nicely furnished apartment and I am now renting it for the second year.
Let me know if you want some more specific hints. Hope you find a good place!

Carsten

Hi,

Our family owns a fully furnished apartment in kilimani. Kindly inbox me if interested, I'd be glad to assist.

Regards.

Carsten1953 wrote:

Hi Khalid,
I came to Nairobi a year ago and also wanted to be close to the Central Bussiness District (without actually living there). I have seen a lot and found a place I am very happy with in Upper Hill. I first wanted to rent furnished (for convenience), but to begin with I didn't see furniture I liked, so looked at many nice unfurnished apartments. In the end I found a nicely furnished apartment and I am now renting it for the second year.
Let me know if you want some more specific hints. Hope you find a good place!

Carsten

Hi Carsten,

Many thanks for your reply. Great to hear the views from another expat. How much is the appartment rent per month? also is it fully furnished with furniture, basic kitchen appliances, internet etc?

Also if you rent it on yearly basis is there a different in cost per month? like any bulk discounts etc

Looking forward to stayin in touch!

Zoe Mdachi wrote:

Hi,

Our family owns a fully furnished apartment in kilimani. Kindly inbox me if interested, I'd be glad to assist.

Regards.

Hi Zoe,

Thanks for your reply. Is Kilimani near to CBD? also what are the specs of the appartmnet? 2/3 bedroom? drawing/dining etc?

And also I would like to know the approx rent if possible please.

Regards

Hello Zoe Mdachi -> Could you please post an advert in the Housing in Nairobi section? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Khalistan.welcome to Nairobi.well a good and secured paled would be between. 65,000-90,000ksh.plus it also depends on the location.a furnished one would be a bit higher.

i want a 2 bedroom furnished accommodation for 2 years. My budget is around KSH 70000 per month. I am looking for apartments on ground floor or a building with lift, since I have an elderly mother. The areas that I am looking are Westlands/Parklands or near about.

Hello aditya0532,

Welcome to the Nairobi forum.

I draw your attention to the fact that this thread has been inactive since 2013. However, you can drop a detailed advert in the Flats for rent in Nairobi section of the website and even browse through the existing adverts.

Best of luck,
Bhavna