Dermatologist for basil carcinoma removal/biopsy in Chiang Mai

I am presently visiting Chiang Mai and went to a young male dermatologist at Chiang Mai Ram Hospital today.  I have two problem "spots" which will not heal and I know something has to be done but this guy immediately said I had to have biopsies and probably, plastic surgery.  I did not like his manner and he was making an appointment immediately for me for the biopsied without discussing price.  Any recommendations for a good English speaking dermatologist experienced with carcinomas?

Hi, You should be able to check the curriculum vitae of the doctor you have seen in this hospital, but to compare with others hospital you still need to get a free quotation. This hospital is often referred by expat, maybe expensive but never heard bad things about it.

You can try others hospital to compare the diagnostic and pricing, for example there is one which propose cancer check up, There is a dermatologist ( speak english thai ) in the website of the hospital : http://www.rajavejchiangmai.com/hospita … gists.html .

Another point is in Thailand you often heard more about : skin clinic, or skin cancer clinic facilities than dermatologist or skin specailist.

Some hospital can give online quotation for general surgery, you need to check their website, or ask for biopsy for example.

Thank you.  I did get a second opinion by a dermatologist that has good reviews online.  I saw him at his small very busy surgery last night and he told me I needed to have surgery and bypass the biopsies that the other dermatologist recommended.  I have an appointment at Ram today to see a plastic surgeon and also getting another opinion with a plastic surgeon at Sripat later in the afternoon.  If I need plastic surgery, I want to make sure I am comfortable with the surgeon, considering the two cancers are close to may eye area.

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : off topic
dianimal789 wrote:

I have an appointment at Ram today to see a plastic surgeon and also getting another opinion with a plastic surgeon at Sripat later in the afternoon.

Keep us inform about the output from your last appointments.

I totally agreed with you, when you need surgery to have a close relation with the surgeon, you need to feel comfortable with him and in total confiidence

best of luck

Well, I canceled both plastic surgery consultations and sought a third dermatological opinion from a SriPat doctor and went for surgery with him that same day, almost immediately after the consultation (talking about "spur of the moment"!) on the largest carcinoma, and the one that had increased in size remarkably.  He aggressively treated the other with liquid nitrogen.  It has now been four days since surgery and I have 10 sutures by me eye area and will have the results of the biopsy this Tuesday.  Hopefully all will be well and the other may have been eliminated by the nitrogen!

dianimal789 wrote:

Well, I canceled both plastic surgery consultations and sought a third dermatological opinion from a SriPat doctor and went for surgery with him that same day, almost immediately after the consultation (talking about "spur of the moment"!) on the largest carcinoma, and the one that had increased in size remarkably.  He aggressively treated the other with liquid nitrogen.  It has now been four days since surgery and I have 10 sutures by me eye area and will have the results of the biopsy this Tuesday.  Hopefully all will be well and the other may have been eliminated by the nitrogen!

Thanks for your feedback, I have just read on internet about this surgery called cryosurgery used in early skin cancer to freeze the cell, it is quite impressive. Wishing you a fast recovery. Cheers

cryosurgery,sounds good.will have to look into that. I sincerley hope it has done the job for you.
In the advent of a negative outcome my e/mail address is available through the moderator,so you can explore an alternative treatment that has an 100% sucsess rate.

Bumrungrad  Hospital  skin clinic in Bangkok.
Thai skin centers have little experience  with skin cancers.

I've had 30 basil carcinomas removed in Thailand over 23years, standard procedure is biopsy & excision if confirmed.
All mine have been stitches only, 1 exception on my forehead the size of a 10bht piece required skin grafts.
Hospitals such as the cancer center in Ubon are excellent (referral required) ask the Dr the price and reasons for plastic surgery as apposed to stitches. Most private hospitals speak english, but expensive. I prefer Govt hospitals, excellent facilities and care plus much less expensive. (sometimes waiting is required) costs vary depending on type of cancer. Free with Thai ID up to 25,000bht at a major private hospital.A biopsy and pathology are required to determine cancer type. and depth. Moe's surgery seldom done in Thailand guarantees success. Inquire!  Good Luck

I am an American.   Had the cancer on my nose.   Had the young plastic surgeon remove 4 days ago. Cost 53000.   Very good care and service.  Been going to ram  for 6 years.  Always pleased

Just had to ask-the 6 years you have been going to rams  is that for the same treatment in regards to skin cancers?

I think your joking.    I had rotator cuff surgery And my son was born there ,  and hypertension issues.  Always good cAre compared to the states.  Lived in Philippines 3 years.  There is.bad health care    Good luck to u

I was at the RAM hospital a few months ago for a check up on the skin. There was a young woman Doctor, I guess about 30 years old. She seems for me to be very competent. She saw a spot  which dhe was not sure what it was because of the color and also the lines were not very straight. She told me I can wait a few months for obsercation ir she can take it out. We made an appointment a week later and she was very good. After 2 weeks, you could not see any wound. Akso no pain. I can recommend her. Forgot the name but could search for it. Not expensive either.

I received my biopsy results and I did have basil carcinoma (solid infiltrating type) the surgeon said "the margins" were not totally clear and I could observe it carefully or have more surgery.  I am now in limbo as I did receive another opinion after by another young male dermatologist at Ram and he said no surgery is needed.  I am presently in Australia and visited a doctor here and she looked at my biopsy and advised further surgery.  I will be in CM Thailand for another 10 days from the 30th September and am unsure of what to do.  The thought of more surgery by my temple close to my eye is really the last thing I want to do but, because I live in a US territory and do not have health insurance there, I do not want to find myself having to fly back to Thailand within a 6 month period or so.
Chamke I have no idea how to contact you for any alternative treatment but would be willing to try.

Hi di,
             My e/mail for contact is  xxx

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please exchange your contact details in private
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I am very happy to put my 2 cents in.  I am an American who has lived in Chiangmai For 6  years as Philippines for 5. Love Chaingmai And been to Ram hospita many times for differs reasons. Last year I went for Basil cell treatment on my nose.  Had surgery left big scar cost 80000 baht.  I returned to the Philippines and within Che next 6 months developed 3 more    Did some research on line about Black Salve cancer treatment.  I decided to give it a try.   I bought all the ingredients on line and made it myself. It worked it worked l was amazed.   It kills the cancer in 3 to 7 days  and complete healing with no scar.   Please do it yourself. You will save a lot of money  and the ointment  lasts for months if you happen to get others. U may contact me     God bless and pass it forward

Take control of your health and escape the sickness industy