Immigration

Hi, I was wondering if anybody knows if Belize will let you in on a visitors or QRP program with an unspecified misdemeanor?  I've been scouring the web with no success.  We are planning our move next year and don't want to put the time into it if we get snagged on this matter.. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum. I have no idea, but I would suggest you check with the Belize Immigration Dept. &/or the QRP program - they are administered  by different  government  agencies. I would call them.  In general,  Belizeans  do not respond well to email – too impersonal.  In person or telephone is the best way to approach the issue.
I can tell you that to open a bank account, buy property, obtain a professional license, obtain permanent residency and other endeavours , requires a letter from your local police stating you are not a criminal. If you can obtain that, I don't see why you would have any issues. But again, I would check with Belize authorities.
Good luck!

Thanks, I will call them!  Thanks for the reply!

The police check requirement is quite simple.Visit the main Police station in the area you have lived in for at least 12 months, they can give you a written piece of paper saying you have no  'criminal convictions' on record or  they know of. Most misdemeanors don't count as criminal convictions and are expunged from records within a fairly short timeframe. They are doing this to  protect the citizens of Belize so unless 'Misdemeanor' is code for 'I just got out of jail for mass murder' you should be fine.

Thanks. This misdemeanor won't be expunged unfortunately. I guess we won't know until we try. It's an unspecified one. So it's impossible to see what it's for. Also fines were paid and time served so it probably won't be a problem!

I would go here for the most up to date and reliable information: http://belize-immigration.org/immigration/
I would imagine that you would be able to show financial support for the 2 of you, which is all they are really concerned about, so probably no issues. You might also be considered 'common-law' married, so marriage might be a moot point. You can also read forum posts from others in previous threads about the specific issues. I don't think much of a problem for anybody overall. Red tape and $ mostly.