Bahrain resident permit

Hi I am a British citizen working in Saudi. I am living inBahrain and want any help/advice on gaining a resident permit in Bahrain.

halldv2 wrote:

Hi I am a British citizen working in Saudi. I am living inBahrain and want any help/advice on gaining a resident permit in Bahrain.

You have various options !

You can get a CPR 'Paper' as you're working in Saudi !
Another way , you can get a Self Sponsored Residency if you buy a property here in Bahrain !

Hi gunner 757 sorry for seaming naive hiw do I obtain a CPR paper can I do this online or do I visit the immigration office
Thanks

Look residence permit means you need CPR.
And for CPR you need Bahrain Visa i think atleast two years if i am not wrong.
And you can talk about CPR from Your current employer he will provide you CPR or guide you how to get this.

halldv2 wrote:

Hi gunner 757 sorry for seaming naive hiw do I obtain a CPR paper can I do this online or do I visit the immigration office
Thanks

Look CPR/Smart Card are the same things.
If you're a resident in Bahrain you get a smart card. 
In order to obtain Smart Card,  you should have a proper visa,  (residency or work) .

Since you're just working in Saudi,  based on the (Multiple Exit / Re-Entry)  of Saudi Arabia,  Bahrain Immigration would give you a multiple Exit Re-entry too, now on that basis and plus a rental agreement in Bahrain,  you can be given a Paper CPR which is just a number.  You won't be given a Card like other residents in Bahrain.

Now there is another way to be a resident in Bahrain,  you can buy a property of 50,000 BD and become a resident of Bahrain irrespective of your work in Saudi.  This is called (Self Sponsorship)  and you'll be given a Smart Card.

Some people say with a Paper CPR you can't do things like getting a car,  bank account etc.

But I have seen people buy a car and open bank account too with a paper Cpr.

Thanks guys

gunner757 wrote:
halldv2 wrote:

Thanks

In order to obtain Smart Card,  you should have a proper visa,  (residency or work) .

Since you're just working in Saudi,  based on the (Multiple Exit / Re-Entry)  of Saudi Arabia,  Bahrain Immigration would give you a multiple Exit Re-entry too, now on that basis and plus a rental agreement in Bahrain,  you can be given a Paper CPR which is just a number.  You won't be given a Card like other residents in Bahrain.

Now there is another way to be a resident in Bahrain,  you can buy a property of 50,000 BD and become a resident of Bahrain irrespective of your work in Saudi.  This is called (Self Sponsorship)  and you'll be given a Smart Card.

@Gunner
Have you worked out details on the investor/self sponsored CPR thing? Would be of help.

live.ali wrote:
gunner757 wrote:
halldv2 wrote:

Thanks

@Gunner
Have you worked out details on the investor/self sponsored CPR thing? Would be of help.

Yes , have applied for my father !

Only thing remaining is a Bahraini Passport  :offtopic:  , that won't take much time either  :idontagree:

gunner757 wrote:
live.ali wrote:
gunner757 wrote:

@Gunner

Yes , have applied for my father !

Only thing remaining is a Bahraini Passport  :offtopic:  , that won't take much time either  :idontagree:

@gunner
Excellent brov ! Is the process lengthy? How long is the CPR valid for?

live.ali wrote:

@gunner
Excellent brov ! Is the process lengthy? How long is the CPR valid for?

It is not too lengthy , just a month is enough for approval .
Sometimes it's strange to feel such countries welcoming you . Indeed Bahrain is better than other countries .
For example my dad served in the Ministry of Defense in Saudi Arabia for 40 years , and Saudi can't give a Permanent Residency or something , whereas Bahrain welcomes expats who worked for 15 years across GCC to become Residents easily .

The visa is valid for 2 years , renewable every time . Smart Card is given and you will have some weightage when you're gonna apply for Bahraini Nationality .

you mean if I have worked and stayed say 20 years in saudi, i can apply for bahrian resident permit though i have never visited bahrain?

Yes exactly as I mentioned.

Totally 3 ways to get Permanent Residency in Bahrain.

1. Those with 15 years residency in GCC or Bahrain.
2. Those who own a home in Bahrain valued above 50,000 BD.
3. Those with an investment of 100,000 BD in a company in Bahrain.  :)

i want knew about Getting Resident Visa for self and Family and  validity and able to Work on that visa, in case  getting Job in Saudi Arabia  while having Bahrain resident Visa ( through owning property in Bahrain)  can travel daily or weekly. to Saudi arabia

Asalaam U Alikum. Presently i am working in Saudi Arabia and since 1999 i am Here changed many jobs 
4th or 5th Visa , with different Company , i am 42 years age now with family here in Saudi Arabia .i want Knew if i manage from My Saving 50.000 BHD and Buy A Flat In Bahrain , can i Get resident Visa, for me and my Family., how much fees for that visa ,is it renewal yearly .can i apply nationality too. after getting house, and all these years i work in Saudi Arabia 15-17 years but 4-6 months break each 4 years approximately  once changed company and visa.  how long normally it takes once apply nationality. can i will eligible to work in Bahrain on that visa, or i need own businesses and further investment
please Need your Support ,i want Decide my Future, .
Thank you

wasalaam.

Malik

I think you need to be clear on some things.

First of all, the property purchase of 50,000 BD will give you and your family visas under the self sponsorship scheme.  However, these visas do not allow you to work.  These are the standard two year residence visas as far as I know and the cost is nominal over a period of two years, usually between 200 to 300 BD. Personally, I don't think the above option is effective and would recommend setting up a company instead.  In the property option, you will struggle to sponsor extended family members for visit visas and to sponsor older dependents.

For citizenship, it is not just the property that will help.  See below.

The actual law for citizenship is - Bahrainis by naturalization:
6. (1) The Bahraini Citizenship may be granted, by order from His Majesty the
Governor, to any alien of full legal capacity, if requested by the alien who should
meet the following requirements:
(A) He has made Bahrain, his usual place of residence legally for at least twenty
five consecutive years or fifteen years consecutively for Arab nationals,
provided, however, that this period shall commences after the effective date
of this act.
(B) Shall be of good conduct
(C) Must be conversant in Arabic.
(D) Shall have a real estate in Bahrain registered in his name at the Land
Registry Office of the Government of Bahrain.
(2) Notwithstanding, the above Bahraini citizenship may be granted to anyone, by
order of His Majesty the Governor.
Bahraini Citizenship may also be granted, by Order of His Majesty the Governor, to
any Arab person, upon his request, if that person has rendered Bahrain great services.
(3) An alien who has obtained the citizenship of Bahrain by virtues of this article,
shall not be entitled to voting rights, representation, nomination or appointment in
local councils (except clubs and private associations), except after the lapse of ten
years from date of acquiring the citizenship. This provision is applicable to persons,
who have acquired the Bahraini nationality before the effective date of this Act and
the ten years span, begins from the effective date of this Act.
(4) If a person is granted the citizenship of Bahrain by virtues of this article, his wife
and minor children, shall be regarded Bahraini by naturalization, starting from the
date of granting the nationality.

And it is NOT guaranteed.  I know people who have lived their entire lives in Bahrain, are eligible and have applied for citizenship but have been waiting for decades.

Thank you dear it is great Information for me.

Hi Gunner,  thanks for your help.

I am interested in Bahrain residency by property ownership. I live in Saudi and thinking about retirement.  I like Bahrain and find the people of Bahrain very open and friendly. 

Question... Do i buy the property first and then apply for residency ?  What if the application gets rejected for some reason,  can I continue to live in the property ?

And... will this allow me to open a local bank account.. credit cards etc.

If you or someone you know offers assistance in purchasing a property and obtaining the residence permit I would be happy to hire them.

Thanks

Yes you buy the property first and then apply for residency on self sponsorship basis. If rejected, you can always live in the property if you have the right to enter and remain in Bahrain - depending on the type of visa you have. 

After you get your visa, you apply for a CPR card.  This will allow you to open bank accounts and so on. 

Most realtors would be happy to show you around the properties.  And can refer you to their PROs for the visa angle.

What you need to be aware of (and should double confirm with the PROs) is that a blanket purchase of 50,000 BD may not be enough for your needs.  For example, generally 50K will get you a 1 bed room in a good neighborhood but to get family visas, immigration would want you to show more than 1 bedroom and if at some stage, you want to get a maid, there must be a maid's room as well.  So all of that adds up and the cost you end up paying could be as much as 70K.

Thank you.

Good day all.
My partner has just moved to Bahrain. And I have a few questions if someone can help
Are we able to live together if we are not married ?
I am working for a UK based company and they are happy for me to move over and work remotely. Is this allowed without having employment in Bahrain
look forward to hearing from you all

I suggest you browse the forum.

You can live here with your partner but can't sponsor them for a visa.  Without a visa, a lot of things become difficult.

I don't understand what you mean by move over and work remotely without having employment?  details please e.g. visa etc.

Good day. Sorry I has been a while.

I am hoping that you can help. This is the situation as it stands right now.
My partner (unmarried) is working over in Bahrain. And of course has a sponsor there.
I have approached my UK based company (although they are a global company. The nearest legal entity is Dubai as they have a registered office there.
I have simply asked my HR department ..can I please be relocated to Bahrain to live with my partner and work from home (in the apartment via the internet.
There answer was simple. No they cannot sponsor me as they have no legal entity in Bahrain. And also the legal department warned me of the risks of co-habiting as an un-married couple. And of course aware of this did not endorse the idea.
We are planning on getting Married soon (Feb 2019) at which point this issue will be helped.

That however doesn't solve me problem that I need to be with my partner.

I have been advised to investigate the options of short term working visa and my partner is confident that it is possible for me to enter Bahrain with a short term working visa - however this will only allow non-hands on work. And after a short period (2 weeks) this can be extended up to 6 weeks ? then leave Bahrain for a given period (1week) ?

However I am abit confused as is this possible ? We do not have any business within Bahrain - I will be simply there working for a global company at home.

Do I need to have an invite from a local business in Bahrain ?
Are there instances that they grant the work visas and then ask you to leave - or restrict entry on the basis of not having true active business in the area.

I am sure If I can gain some solid information based on the idea that I can get a working visa etc then this I can use to present to my employer who will help me relocate.

I am really hoping that you can help with some responses so that I can move on with this as I miss my partner so much.

Look forward to hearing from you as I know you are very helpful !

Kind Regards

Mark

I think you need to understand a few terms.

As far as most of the GCC countries including Bahrain go; a work visa is always sponsored by an employer here.  There is no other visa on which you can work.  What I believe you are referring to is a business visit visa which allows you to come here for business but doesn't allow you to work.   As far as I can tell, there isn't a problem with that as you are not working for any company in Bahrain but are working remotely in your existing job.   So it is really a question of coming in on any visa whether tourist or business and exiting before it expires.

Now the problem I see, if your profile is accurate, is your nationality i.e. Iran.  This may make the chance of getting a visit visa very difficult unless some company sponsors you for it in Bahrain.

Lastly, living as unmarried couple is not recognised but Bahrain is a liberal and tolerant country - unlike Iran or Saudi so no one will bother you.  But the fact remains that you cannot sponsor each other.  Also be aware that if your partner is female; women cannot sponsor their husband for a visa minus a few exceptions.

Sorry for the delay

you have been very useful and I have taken the advice you have given me.
Just wanted you to know that people like yourself are doing  great job to help us.
I am actually British and I need to check my profile. I believe this helps my cause I have just approached my legal department of my company to hope that they will agree with my working in Bahrain with my Wife having a CPR to work from home for a non Bahrain company. Again a big thanks for your help !