Music in Germany

Hi,

Music is said to be a universal language. Indeed it helps to discover and better understand the culture of a country.

What are the most popular music genres in Germany? How about traditional music and instruments?

Who are the local artists you would recommend?

Where can you listen to them: are there any concerts or music festival held regularly?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Kenjee

I have lived here on and off for 30 years, and lately for 10 years with my British husband. He and I have been making music as a duo here for these last 10 years,  in the Country, Rock and Folk gendre. We found that the 60`s music is very popular, especially in the rock era. We mostly made music in East Germany, as they like to party very much,  and are very musical, and have been brought up with the 60`s bands, i.e. Beatles.Rolling Stones etc.  Nonetheless, we find that German traditional musical is very popular here. There appears to be in nearly every town and village, music associations and groups, where children and adults are taught to learn to play string and brass instruments,  These often perform in local celebrations, i.e. Kirmes, special holidays etc. Also there are many groups for voice, singing the favourite old traditional folksongs is also very popular. Also Acapello.
Unfortunately, my husband is very ill with cancer and we have had to stop making music. It`s a shame as we were very popular. Also the younger people are getting most of the bookings.

I also forgot to mention that when I was here in the late 70`s and 80`s I was in a band and we played on the American German club circuit all over Germany and sometimes in France.  The music was Country & Western and Rock. After the American forces left around 1986, the chances for British & American bands to play here, went very much downhill. The ones that stayed still got some work in German clubs. I also forgot to mention that my son, who is 31, living in Frankfurt, is a DJ for Drum and Bass and plays all over Europe on weekends. He is in a syndicate with four other DJ`s. Clubs with DJ`s are very popular here. I think the German music scene is very good. There are also very many concerts. German Pop music (Schlager) is also very popular here. Unfortunately, the Casting shows are ruining the business for real talented artists. Too many Casting shows. That is pure manufactured music.