Formalities to bring your pet in Colombia

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Colombia?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Colombia?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Colombia?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

I am in the process right now.  There is no Quarantine but there are about 10 shots required. You are also required to have a broker.  I am bringing in from the US.  Where is your pet coming from

Hi nvincent,

Please note that Julian started this discussion in order to gather as much information for members who wish to know more about this subject. ;)

Thank you for your contribution.  :top:

Priscilla
Expat.com team

nvincent wrote:

I am in the process right now.  There is no Quarantine but there are about 10 shots required. You are also required to have a broker.  I am bringing in from the US.  Where is your pet coming from

Not sure exactly what you mean by a broker?

Just brought my pet Chihuahua in from the U.S. in June and didn't need one. I just went to the vet, had him fill out a health certificate (I think there are only about 4 required shots, and 3 of those come in a combo, Parvovirus, Leptospirosis, and Bordetella if I'm not mistaken,  the 4th is Rabies.) Then you take the certificate to APHIS, part of the FDA, they verify all is in order, and MOST IMPORTANTLY they stamp it with a special seal, charge you about $30, and you're set.

Just make sure every person you show the FDA Health Certificate to gives it BACK!

I was distracted during my layover in Mexico, so either the airline, or customs kept it, and I had copies, but it didn't matter, because once I got to Colombia, I didn't have the document with the darn seal,.. So had to pay about an extra $200 to get him into Colombia, agreeing to have him quarantined at my home (thank goodness not at some facility!)
I then had to have some vets from ICA come check him out and agree that he was healthy. I'm just thankful I had the money...As happy go-lucky as my little guy is, he was a little weirded out by the long trip & the plane rides, can't imagine having had to give him to strangers after all that.