Residence Permit

Hi Everybody,

I come from Thailand.I would like to ask about residence permit .

in case I married with hungarian man.

I got visa from Embassy of Hungary in Bangkok , Thailand.

My type of visa : C - EGT ( Schengen MULT 90 Days)

So When I arrival there I would like apply residence permit .

I read  some information from website but still not clear for me.

What Documents for the Application need ?

Any Documents I must translate to HUN or English ?

How long processing time for get residene card ?

What about money to show how much?

will they ask interview?

If you have any suggestions , Please feel free to let me know.
I worried about it coz we are not rich.
And if i cant get residence card I must fly back to Thailand.
I will take long time save money agian.
And cant live together.

Try to get your resident permit before coming over to Hungary. I am married to a Hungarian for 40 years and it was still very hard to get the paperwork for my resident permit before 90 days were up. I had to pay extra for an extention while they filed my papers and I had to send to the US for more papers as I went along with the process of getting my permit.
They are NOT helpful at all here at immigration in Hungary.
It is better to finish with your local embassy for a resident permit then to start it over in Hungary.
It took me a total of nearly 6 months to get it done in HU. Very stressful time. We wanted to do things in HU but were afraid we couldn't stay so we did nothing but wait for my papers.( Things like buy a car, fix our flat )
Good luck, they will let you have a resident permit if you live with a period of time. I am not sure if it is 2 years or 3 years time you need to prove it however in paper.
Use the embassy because they don't help at all in Hungary, they send you here and there and then ask for something else to make it start all over again in circles.They only want money here, most people hire a lawyer for immigration over here so cheaper to use the embassy.They also say they speak English here at immigration in Budapest. It is no very good English and they don't understand much in English even if they think they do.

Thank you for your information Marilyn Tassy,
Here embassy said if i need stay in Hungary more than 90 days I must contact immigration in Hungary.
The Embassy they are working only apply visa NOT residence permit.

Good luck then, Just be sure to have all important papers with you ready to be translated here in Hungary. Birth, marriage papers etc.
Get to the immigration office early in the morning because it gets super busy and crowded.
You can pay for a visa extension at immigration if things take longer then 90 days to get finished.
it is stressful but if you can take someone who speaks Hungarian with you to all the many places they are going to send you out to then it will be cheaper then hiring someone to help like a lawyer.
It seems everything is rigged for them to make some extra side money and that they all are in it together.
Immigration makes it so hard to do yourself that people finally hire a lawyer who hangs around the immigration offices just waiting to help people out for a fee.
could be wrong about them all making side money from desperate people but that's what it looked like to us.
I have forgotten ( because it just made me crazy to think about it all) how much it cost us when all said and d
one. Perhaps somewhere around $400. to $500. for my resident permit with all the stamps, translation fees, post and rush delivery for more papers from the US etc. Not to mention the physical costs of undo stress.
Just have every sort of paper you can think of because they have you come in and bring one paper they asked for and then decide to ask for another paper out of the blue, just to keep things dragging on and on.

Hello,

As was said before it is quite a bureaucratic and lengthy procedure to arrange your residence permit as Spouse of a Hungarian Citizen.

Eventually personal presence will be needed and make sure that you have the marriage certificate issued in Hungary or authenticated by the Hungarian Embassy in Thailand and the same goes for the translation of the birth certificate. The administrative cost of the procedure is 10.000 HUF which shall be paid with revenue stamp .

You are free to proceed on your own but many people decide to hire a local lawyer to represent you given the complexity and time consuming nature of the matter.

Requirements:
a completed form, the required annexes and the payment of the processing fee.

Please note that when submitting the application to the authority, you are required to appear in person, unless you are unable to appear due to your state of health.

While submitting the application, a photo portrait and, (over 6 years of age), fingerprints will be taken for the issuing of the residence permit which contains biometric data.

The decision on residence card application will be made by the regional directorate within 3 months.

As I work with immigration law I would be happy to give a quote in private message.

All the best,

good day sir, if its ok, since you were working with immigration, may you tell me what really are the documents they are asking for the residence permit in hungary?? so im able to prepare them when i apply for one,i am married to a hungarian and we got married in philippines now i am about to go to jakarta for the authentication of our marriage cert and for my visa application to go to hungary.so far all they told me is pressent my authenticated marriage cert. and have it registered in hungary,then after that once registered thats the time i go to hungsry and process my residency permit. but im am just wondering aside from my birth certificate translated and have the phil embassy in budapest stamp what else do i need to prepare, so i wont need to waste more time obtaining my documents.thank you and God bless

Your Husband Document :

1. Bank statements last 6 months or more ( He should have some money that enough for you and her)
2. Passport and copy
3. ID card and copy
4. Address card and copy
5.House Document in Hungary. In cause rent the house you bring house contract.
   If ower house . bring document that proof he is the owner.
ุ6. Work Contract
7. Marriage certificate in Hungary.

Your Document :

1. Passport and copy
2.Copy of your passport stamped
3.Copy of your Schengen Visa
4.Health insurance valid 1 year ( Acceept only you make it in Hungary )
5. 1 photocopy  2x2
6. Your bank accout all bank from your country last 6 months or more
7. Certificate Employee
    In cause If you have own business from your country pls translate to english or hungarian
    - Company certificate , Tax Card and stamp at  Ministry of Foreign Affairs in your country

BAH will process about 3 months but in the real only 2 months and some day.
Between processing Police will go to check you and your hunsband at the your home ( same house document address as you gave them)
Police wont tell you when they wanna visit you. For my cause after I gave them my document 2 weeks they came.
They will take picture of house.and ask about your relationship.
for example : Where you meet.When your wife arrival to Hungary.
Would you like working here. How long you relationnship......etc

After residence permit done, you will get the letter. and you go pick your residence card.
After that about 1 month they will send you address card by post.

Good Luck...and Take care... If need more information pls ask me anytime.
Nice to meet you.   

Thank you very much for a detailed info.. I greatly appreciate it.😊😊😊

i wonder if the refuges situation in Hungary affect the legal residents or not and residence permits acceptance ratio i hear that it's not a good a time to apply for residence permits "specially for Arab" even if it's legal, is it true or not ? can anyone explain ?

mrs.balogh wrote:

Thank you very much for a detailed info.. I greatly appreciate it.😊😊😊

Welcome  :)

muhammed-tal3t wrote:

i wonder if the refuges situation in Hungary affect the legal residents or not and residence permits acceptance ratio i hear that it's not a good a time to apply for residence permits "specially for Arab" even if it's legal, is it true or not ? can anyone explain ?

According to Tarki, which has tracked Hungarian public opinions about foreigners since 1992, sentiment against foreigners is now at the highest since 1992 with 46% generally against foreigners of any type.

45% of those polled were "undecided" about taking a general stand, but when asked about specific groups 94% of this "undecided" group had some type of negative view about people of Arab ethnicity.

Hungarians are publicly polite, but that at times is just a mask that hides their real personal feelings. I am ethnically European, and people here are publicly polite to me. But I am still a foreigner. And I also am in the position to know, via local real friend contacts who know the local gossip, how some people here think of me. And that back fence gossip is not always polite.

Thanks klsallee, I know that Hungarian people are polite and educated but when i read the Hungarian news it seems to me that governors has took advantage from the refuges situation to apply any policies on foreigners both legal and illegal. i hope everything gets better in all over the world  :(

klsallee wrote:

... but that at times is just a mask that hides their real personal feelings. I am ethnically European, and people here are publicly polite to me. But I am still a foreigner. And I also am in the position to know, via local real friend contacts who know the local gossip, how some people here think of me. And that back fence gossip is not always polite.

I second that. 

Hungarians are generally worried by anything "unusual" or "strange" and that includes people.  Things might get better when Hungarians return from working abroad once the current political extremisim improves.  You'd think that Hungarians would have become very cynical of their politicians given the history but most of them are in no way internationalised. Those that are and are capable have most probably already left for somewhere considered "better". The unpredictability of the political classes creates a depression that has left people subdued - the mood is similar to that in the mid-90s.  There's little optimism I can detect currently.

I continued to be amazed by the i extremist idea that refugees (aka human beings) from Syria or other conflict zones should be unwelcome in Hungary (e.g. the fence on the Serbian border). And the EU response is terribly weak.  Hungarian's knowledge of history surprises.  In 1956, about 200,000  Hungarians were welcomed into other countries as refugees and there are plenty of memorials to Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg in Budapest. Building a fence seems inappropriate given the history.

I've just been in Portgual. It's very diverse and people speak multiple languages (usually English) without a second thought, even supermarket check out operators.  People are not really afraid of diversity or differences.  A different way of thinking there.  If political Hungarians would improve their knowledge of other societies, people and language, they will be a lot more tolerant.

I was sort of wondering myself about the immigration situations now because of so many people coming into Hungary illegally.
I have been married for 41 years to a Hungarian, know more Hungarians then fellow Americans even in the USA.
I honestly have to say , it is true they smile at you but really think they are different from you. In the US most of us are mixed nationality and somehow most Hungarians think we are somewhat like stray dogs.
Not all mind you but more then I actually want to think about.
I once was asked what my race was by a younger Hungarian women here in Hungary.
I told her I was half Carpatho Rus from Poland, 1/4th German and the rest English and Mohawk Indian. By the time I said part Indian I thought she would faint.The expression on her face was like, What?
Most people in Hungary where we live speak Hungarian to me if they do not know I am from the US. Guess overall, I pass by being such a paleface.
I wanted to invite my brothers over to Hungary but have decided to put it off for now, they both are dark and are mistaken for Mexicans all the time.All I need is for them to be mistaken by the police in a roundup, darn one bro is a biker and has already been hog tied by the LAPD. Don't need that sort of hassle.The other is a ex military man.
I really feel sort of bad for people of color trying to legally be in this part of the world at the moment.
I understand it is nice to be proud of your culture, the Hungarians will all say their relations died for Hungary and they really truly do resent people just coming in and"taking over" as they see it happening, true or not.
My DIL is from Japan, many of our Hungarian friends have all married ladies from Japan in Hawaii. One visit to Hungary is about all any of them ever did. They now send their husband's alone to visit Hungary and they take a holiday to Japan by themselves. Too many stares for these mostly shy ladies to handle.
Even my husband who is about the most kind and honest person I have ever known takes on a more "red neck" attitude when he talks or hears about people coming in and not respecting those who went before here in Hungary. I suppose Hungary has really only been open for 25 years and it will take a few generations to be more liberal when it comes to their homeland.

Understand what your saying but remember in 1956 the cold war was on and people in the west felt more "obligated" to be kind to refugees, also many had family in Europe, cousins, grandparents etc.
The people coming in from the middle east have a different culture, religion etc.
This scares the cr** out of most people. They feel overwhelmed by floods of people coming in.
My husband said only a short as 25 years ago Hungarians themselves would call up the police to check out a stranger in their villages, even if they shared the language and culture.
I remember my first visit to Hungary in 1978. Not exactly on the normal tourist guides at the time.
I had people literally stopping dead in their tracks to stare at me, they were frozen solid in place just standing there with their mouths open.
Very uncomfortable for me at age 23, my first trip to Europe, was not what I dreamed it would be.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

attitude when he talks or hears about people coming in and not respecting those who went before

Reminds me of this political cartoon:

http://historyproject.ucdavis.edu/marchandslides.bak/5023.jpg

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Hungary has really only been open for 25 years and it will take a few generations to be more liberal when it comes to their homeland

The above cartoon was first published in Puck Magazine, January 11, 1893. One-hundred-twenty-two years ago. One need only observe the rhetoric currently going on amongst Presidential candidates in the USA on immigrant issues (despite being a nation of immigrants) to get a feeling how slow change might actually be.

What a great cartoon, seems some things never change.
My father was born in Poland and came through Ellis Island as a young kid. I never knew exactly where he was from until just 2 years ago when I was 58! He wanted to forget his past, only a bottle of Vodka would allow him to remember and sing and cry about Poland other wise he was a full blue blooded American. So weird how people feel they deserve rights but other don't.( Once a poor little village has turned into a major resort area in Poland,everyone is loaded now)
My mom's relations were all full blooded Native Americans, great-grandparents were living on a res.
No one asks the opinions of native Americans,do not want to hear the truth.

North Africa culture is completely different during the world-war |&|| Egypt for example was a kingdom with a strong economy although the British occupation but Egyptians welcomed a lot of Italian&Greek&Armenian refuges and there is nothing in history books that mention anything about hate or fear of these cultures they worked and lived with each other they became a movie stars and contributed in art and a lot of industries now in the present time Egypt struggling to fight terrorism and building economy and we have a lot of Syrian refuges "again" Egyptians never worried about the weak economy to be weaker.

i don't mean or want to judge anyone but reminding history at this time is ironic  :)   
i hope everything get better

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your contribution on this thread.

Reading your posts, i would like to invite you to contribute to the following topic "Your experience of culture shock in Hungary", it surely will be interesting  :happy:

Sorry for the off-topic here.

Reposting the subject below :

kayla77 wrote:

Hi Everybody,

I come from Thailand.I would like to ask about residence permit .

in case I married with hungarian man.

I got visa from Embassy of Hungary in Bangkok , Thailand.

My type of visa : C - EGT ( Schengen MULT 90 Days)

So When I arrival there I would like apply residence permit .

I read  some information from website but still not clear for me.

What Documents for the Application need ?

Any Documents I must translate to HUN or English ?

How long processing time for get residene card ?

What about money to show how much?

will they ask interview?

If you have any suggestions , Please feel free to let me know.
I worried about it coz we are not rich.
And if i cant get residence card I must fly back to Thailand.
I will take long time save money agian.
And cant live together.

All the best,
Bhavna