I really need some help please!!

Hi all, this question has probably been asked so many times but I really need some help. I've been to the Evans building in Valletta (Id and residency office) to apply for my residency and and ID card they have me no information at all just a hell of a lot of forms! I've filled in all the forms but I don't know what documents I need to take with me! Me and my partner are both from England (we're not married) my boyfriend does painting and decorating and I'm looking for work. Please can someone tell me exactly what we need to take and whether we need to apply for residency before ID card or if we can apply at the same time or if I need a work permit? Thank you so so so so so much in advance. X

ID card doesnt exist anymore for non maltese - it is an all in one document called a Residency Document - or e-Residency Card in a plasticised card format.

as an EU national you can stay as long as you wish,,,,,, the card above is a requirement of you staying here. Normally you need passports, a rental agreement or house purchase evidence, photos, proof of income to support you  - that can be either a contract of employment or a self employed certificate for local work, bank statements to prove your wealth and ability to support yourself and family if relevant without being a burden on the state. If you work you wil pay social security contributions as well as tax and that will get you healthcare provision.. if you dont work you will need private healthcare.   

you do not need a work permit to work here as an eu national

right if you are  both eu citizens - you wont get an id card its an e-residence card
1. if you are  not working yet then go and find jobs before applying for residency
2. you dont need a work permit  to work in malta unless you are  not an eu national (if you are british your an eu national)
3. forms you will need to apply for residency ones you have a job are FORM A  both of you will need to fill in this form FORMS ID1A and form ID 2 you will also need to fill in the european election form even if you dont wish to vote ..
4. you will need your contract of employment , letting contract or proof of sale  , passports
5. make sure you take copies of all documents with you when you apply - they will not photocopy them for you

if you have any other questions please ask and i will help you with whatever you need

Thank you so much Rob. That's a great help, 1 more question though - I cannot apply for my e residence card unless I have a contract of employment? We are renting (we have tenancy agreement) and both have British passports. Thank you so much. Also, are you living in marsascala? How is it for work down there? We are currently living in bugibba but I want to relocate to marsaloxx. Thanks :)

you can apply as self sufficient but you would have to prove your income or you could apply as a family member of your partner if he is working but you would need to prove a relationship exists 

jobs are very seasonal in marsaxlokk - its a lovely place to live if not a tad on the quiet side - i enjoyed that but many dont
i moved to marsascala two months ago and i really like it here  its busier but still quiet

work wise your going to find it easier to work in the nothern areas

You don't need a work contract necessarily ! If you register with the ETC as looking for a job that counts too.

You also don't necessarily need private health insurance  but you have to show entitlement. THat is quite easy if you are an UK citizen. Go get your certificate !

But it will be difficult to find qualified work in the south. So it will probably mean a lot of commuting. Consider that when you see the cheap rents in the south.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you thank you thank you so much everyone!! I really appreciate all of your help! X

How much does it cost? I have looked at the website, but like lily I've found it confusing. Thank you rob for clarifying the whole process. Deb x

It doesn't cost anything If your an EU citizen

Thank you. Deb

You also need to have the photo verified by a professional before putting the forms in. It won't be processed without don't bank on somebody at the residency place doing this go a police station qwara will do it for you .

emma1979 wrote:

You also need to have the photo verified by a professional before putting the forms in. It won't be processed without don't bank on somebody at the residency place doing this go a police station qwara will do it for you .

this is no longer correct
they are taking the photos at the office now  and are not accepting passport photos from anyone

Ok thank you!

As an EU citizen you can get residence on the grounds that you are financially viable - Evans building is an admin nighmare but to be fair its getting better - The website is fairly explicit for what you need to complete form wise and what information you need. But a word of warning its not easy for any foreigner in Malta and you will find it hard to get a job - despite what other may say. Our Maltese firends told us to research very hard before deciding to come and live in Malta they were right holidaying and living are very different and there is definitely a section of the Maltese Population that is against all foriegners. I suggest that if you have real issues take the matter up with the office of the Prime Minister because unfortunately many Brits moan about the issue but do nothing about it - Maybe not what you were looking for but this advice is from a Brit who has lived three years in Malta and has managed to get the citizenship dept moving by complaining - others on this site may disagree but its pot luck how you get treated.

As an EU citizen your entitled to live and work I. Malta without restriction however they do like to get you to apply for residency and there are a number of categories not just being financially viable .  They have split the Evans building into two areas now - the EU applicants go in one door the rest in another it's done on a first come first served basis but you get given a ticket on arrival- they go through all the forms with you on arrival to make sure you have everything and to be honest it was quick in/out better then when I applied last year.
They have updated to a new website this contains all the forms and everything etc

As for finding a job it's pot luck but there are jobs available and many I know have found jobs pretty quickly .
Take heed of people's warnings but don't let them put you off giving it a go !!

Also just to add I haven't come across any Maltese citizens who have problems with British white people but I guess I'm just lucky then ?

Lothianba wrote:

As an EU citizen you can get residence on the grounds that you are financially viable - Evans building is an admin nighmare but to be fair its getting better - The website is fairly explicit for what you need to complete form wise and what information you need. But a word of warning its not easy for any foreigner in Malta and you will find it hard to get a job - despite what other may say. Our Maltese firends told us to research very hard before deciding to come and live in Malta they were right holidaying and living are very different and there is definitely a section of the Maltese Population that is against all foriegners. I suggest that if you have real issues take the matter up with the office of the Prime Minister because unfortunately many Brits moan about the issue but do nothing about it - Maybe not what you were looking for but this advice is from a Brit who has lived three years in Malta and has managed to get the citizenship dept moving by complaining - others on this site may disagree but its pot luck how you get treated.

I don't think the Prime Minister will give a second thought to your issues because he will never even see your complaint, if you have one! The attitude is if you don't like it don't come here!
We moved here 3 years ago and as long as you realise that things take time - no problem.
For anyone who thinks they can come here and get a well paid job easily or even worse, think they can still get benefits, it does not work like that!

Ray

when did they start to take photos at the office...i know they did last year when i did my e res docs but when i went to do change of address this year i had to go away and get photos done and verified ??

mdillyd wrote:

when did they start to take photos at the office...i know they did last year when i did my e res docs but when i went to do change of address this year i had to go away and get photos done and verified ??

i dont know the date but they were telling people you come here for photos and also sending letters out to those who had already applied to come an get photos taken.
so i suspect its a fairly recent change

robpw2 wrote:
mdillyd wrote:

i dont know the date but they were telling people you come here for photos and also sending letters out to those who had already applied to come an get photos taken.
so i suspect its a fairly recent change

So that would mean that you can no longer apply by post, which seems a bit strange!

It's like some people being charged for getting a new card because of change of address and some not! Friends of ours were charged 22 euros (and got a receipt for it) but two others I know were not charged at all. (nor were we)