Buying scooter, any advice ?

Hi I am James.  I work in the area of medicine and just been around for a week. i work for a UN agency. I will be around for 2 years. I want to buy a scooter. Initially was advised to buy and drive out. With great naivety i walked over (I had been to an African country where the dealer had all the number plates, so i thought maybe same.) Dealer did not speak good english but the gist is that i have to get a local to buy the scooter and then i got lost. anybody can complete the story - am hoping the process will not be too long

JamoF wrote:

Hi I am James.  I work in the area of medicine and just been around for a week. i work for a UN agency. I will be around for 2 years. I want to buy a scooter. Initially was advised to buy and drive out. With great naivety i walked over (I had been to an African country where the dealer had all the number plates, so i thought maybe same.) Dealer did not speak good english but the gist is that i have to get a local to buy the scooter and then i got lost. anybody can complete the story - am hoping the process will not be too long

You should not need a local to buy it. you should ask a workmate to assist you in making the purchase. Perhaps look around at the expat type shops around Vientiane as you may see motorbikes for sale ads in the windows.

Also go to 'classifieds' at the top of this page and check the motorbikes for sale section there.

Thank you Stumpy.  Will follow your advice

Hello JamoF welcome on board  :)

I created a new thread from your post and the feedback you had from stumpy on the Vientiane forum so that you may more easily interact and gather informations.

Best of luck,
Bhavna