Costa Rican cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in Costa Rica?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of Costa Rica and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Most chicken dishes here in Costa Rica are good, the Tico's seem to find different ways to prepare it.  The beef down here is like rubber to us expats, but the Tico's can also turn beef into something that we are able to chew, and it also quite tasty.  The food serviced in tourist type restaurants is good, but the prices in US dollars is much too high for the average Tico, so they use the SODA restaurants where the food is only half the price, and the portions are bigger.   We get great lunches at SODA locations for about 2,500 colones "and we can hardly eat it all", that's about $5.US

Cuisine is all about the ingredients, techniques and dishes. The only thing in Costa Rica that is included in that word is "Ingredients". This country has some good ingredients, like vegetables. Other than that the use of the word Cuisine should not be used here. I grew up as one of nine children in the USA and I have yet to taste anything in this country that even comes close to the delicious food I survived on in a poor household. So let's finish up the definition of cuisine with the second call out "Techniques" If a cooking pot and a skillet qualify as a cooking technique then Costa Rica has two techniques to their cooking. The word technique has a broader definition than "cook it, serve it". When it comes to "Dishes", holy cow, this is a tough one! Let me explain that this way! "What food Dish is unique to Costa Rica?" The only possible answer to that is "NONE". If anyone thinks that "PINTO" is unique here then they live in a cave. Rice and beans is peasant food and always has been. Let me sum it all up like this, The food in Costa Rica is not unique in any way shape or form. I actually hate writing in the negative, but when it comes to Costa Rica food and anyone implies that it is good, it makes my blood boil. Ask yourself this: Why don't they have ratings for restaurants here? Because they are all the same, boring, flavorless, uninspiring. If you visit the USA in any big city, ask a cab driver to take you to a Costa Rica restaurant. What do you think he, or she, will say about that???????? After they stop laughing ask them to take you to an Italian restaurant and they will suggest the best one, of many, in their mind. OR how about Chinese food? What do I eat then, you ask? I cook for myself so I can enjoy food!

Costa RIca is not known for its good food, much like England in that regard.

Ticos do not know how to use spices and salsas well.
I was shocked that they don't have Mexican style salsas, not even their own versions of it. Tomatoes are inexpensive, chilis grow there, yet they don't use Mexican style or any similar style salsas. Guatemala and other Latin American countries do but not Costa Rica.

Aside from that they just don't seem to have a flare for cooking.
Be VERY careful when ordering an omelet!!! I've found restaurants in 3 different parts of  the country that make omelets by basically DEEP FRYING eggs and folding them over, all soaked in crappy oil, which is inedible without getting sick! Could this be some kind of anti-gringo agression? I don't know but I have learned not to order an omelet without seeing someone else with one first! Last time I said to the waitress, "The cook isn't going to drench it in oil is he?" "No!" i was assured. Then I received an oil-drenched inedible omelet!

Okay but on the bright side:
Fresh juices are good and cheaper than in the USA! Just tell them NOT to add sugar or they may well add it to even the sweetest natural fruit!

Gallo pinto - black beans, rice, and eggs sometimes with meat : you'll either love it or hate it. I happen to like it and I get mine with scrambled eggs which they do tend to cook nicely! You can still get a 2 egg gallo pinto breakfast at small "sodas" with coffee for under $5!

Fish and chicken is often good if they don't buy the chicken from one of the big agri-business farms which they DO have in  Costa Rica unfortunately.

Fruit is almost always good!

Mexican restaurants: I've yet to find a really great one. Some are good but ...

Italian: same thing. I'm sure there are some good ones, I just haven't found one.

Pizza: YECCHHH! They just don't know how to make it.
Have tried about 10 and only ONE good one so far and it was in Montezuma, way out on the Nicoya peninsula.  They NEVER use fresh mushrooms (why is that?), never have black olives (guess they're imported so expensive), and just don't know how to make a good pizza sauce and don't have good pizza cheese. So much for pizza!...

As someone above said, restaurants are expensive by and large, except for the local "sodas". Expensive would be okay if they were really good but they tend not to be...

I love San Ramon but I'll say it right here: San Ramon does not have any great restaurants that I have found so far. I'm open to suggestions though!

San Jose' - I have heard there are some good ones but I haven't tried them. Most restaurants I've tried in San Jose are so-so at best.

One more note: sometimes the Ticos themselves, in their homes, cook some really good stuff!

I was about to make a statement about not having any good Tica food, until I read your last sentence. I have met some friends that go to each others home for dinner during the week and everyone brings something. It was always a feast. One of the meals, I made a clear BBQ sauce (family recipe) and grilled the chicken and it was a big hit. So at least the friends, that I have met so far are very creative, when it comes to cooking.
I ate at some restaurants in the mountains and thought that they had some really fantastic dishes.
I guess that it depends on where you go.

Coloradomike wrote:

I was about to make a statement about not having any good Tica food, until I read your last sentence. I have met some friends that go to each others home for dinner during the week and everyone brings something. It was always a feast. One of the meals, I made a clear BBQ sauce (family recipe) and grilled the chicken and it was a big hit. So at least the friends, that I have met so far are very creative, when it comes to cooking.
I ate at some restaurants in the mountains and thought that they had some really fantastic dishes.
I guess that it depends on where you go.

Yes, for some reason I took the original post as meaning "local RESTAURANT cuisine".
I think one fares better with actual Ticas/Ticos in their homes.

That said, way back when I did a home stay with a Tica while I was learning Spanish and guess what? Her cooking was lousy!  :/

when it is made right, "olla de carne" is amazing.  It is a beef/vegetable soup/stew.  When made right the  beef is very tender, the broth savory and aromatic.  One amazing component is the use of yucca root.   Similar to a potato in texture, it is much more flavorful.   I highly recommend this dish when cooked properly.

Wow! It's hard to believe!
I have always loved peasant food no matter where I go. Soul food, is soul food no matter where you are poor.
Southern Americans call it chittlin's, Scott's call it Haggis. The only savory rice is peasant rice. Call it Risotto, Paella, or gruel. Scrambled brains and eggs can be found around the world. I've seen them in the Carolina's, in Italy and in Portugal. You just need to know where to look for these unique foods and I'll give you a hint... don't look in the city for them... they are hidden too well.
My Grandmother would roll over in her grave if I told her Soul Food often times reminds me of her Italian cooking! Peasant food is peasant food where ever you may be!
All peasants eat rice, pasta, veggies, eel and organ meat. As N. Americans, we were raised to filter out certain foods.
Organ meat is high in cholesterol for a well fed populace. For those who can afford almost no meat, it may be the only protein or source of needed enzymes.
In Sardinia, donkey meat is more expensive than beef! They believe they are the only people in the world that eats donkey meat but to starving peasants, it is as common as horse, dog, cat or mule. American Indians preferred mule meat to beef or horse.
I have heard expats speak fondly of beans and rice. There must be some local specialty there. Maybe with Cuttle Fish, Mussles or pork? It can't be as boring as all that!
Are you sure it isn't only bland for North American tastes? Maybe beans and rice are the only things an American/Canadian pallet recognizes.   
I'd love to hear of some regional dishes that are tasty! Doesn't anyone have a good food story to tell?

dominic, no, in MY opinion Costa Rica has the worst food of any country I've ever visited in Latin America.
Guatemala, Mexico, El Salvador, Panama - all have better food than Costa Rica.

I mean, "gallo pinto" - basically, rice and beans with eggs or meat - is okay but it's not "RICO!"

My friend loved the chicken down there because I think at that time - many years ago now - he was getting mostly organic grass-fed chicken which he was not used to getting here in the USA. But I don't eat chicken so I don't know.

I wouldn't be so confidently negative about the food of Costa Rica except that in the 22+ years I've been going down there and meeting others who've been there, and knowing residents there, I NEVER hear anyone talking about "how great the food is" there! LOL.
I mean there MUST be at least a few good restaurants there, somewhere but the only outstanding food I have ever found there was a pizza over in Montezuma.

I do love their coffee, and they tend to know how to cook eggs the way I like. If ONLY they had Mexican style salsa fresca! (they NEVER do!) My wife is Mexican and we may start a business selling salsa!

WOW! And to think... yours is one of the BEST reviews I've heard. Man! That's hard to take.
I love food! Of course, I prefer my own cooking here too.

It is true, Costa Rica is not known for it's food. Has anyone ever seen a chicken eat grass? That's a new one for me.

Good one, rendrag!
I agree that while a casado is usually a decent and inexpensive meal, it definitely doesn't put Tico food into the 'gastronomical delight' catagory.

OMG!  Everybody, please come to Zarcero! 'Comida Tipica,' or traditional food, is celebrated here!  There are local festivals every weekend and it is put on display to its' best advantage!  This weekend, Tapesco is the location of the festival.  It's just past Zarcero, on the road to Ciudad Quesada.  I expect all kinds of sweets, like candied figs and candied grapefruit.  Coconut candy, carrot candy and cheverre candy are also common.  The 'pan casero,' rustic bread, looks good and the locals are mad for 'queso palmito,' the local cheese that's sold in a ball shape but it's supposed to be like string cheese.  I've written articles about several of the places nearby that have local food all year long.  La Palmita, just before you get to Zarcero on the road from Naranjo is one place you can stock up anytime you make the trip to look at the topiaries in our central park.  I wrote about the Don Beto organic cheese company that's near here too.  Locally made cheese in a wide variety, including smoked cheese.  Near Tapesco is a really huge organic produce and milk product store where you can buy as much of the local organic fruits and veggies as you can fit in your car.  I'm writing about them on Sunday.  Another article I did was about a restaurant, very near Zarcero, called, 'El Sueño del Indio.'  Wonderful traditional food at great prices with a mountain view that's absolutely spectacular.  I wasn't sure if I could leave links.  Anytime you're coming this way and want advice on places to get the local food, message me, either here or at Costa Rica Bargain Hunter on Facebook.  There's even a local bar that has traditional food on their boca menu that's free, as long as you're drinking.  You could put together a tasting menu FREE and get a really good idea of what real Costa Rican food tastes like!

Thank you! Yours is the first positive feedback I've had on CR food!

I've heard bad reviews too but up here, it's different. The locals are also very into preserving the Costa Rican culture. It's a wonderful place if you really love Costa Rica!

Thank you for this bit of information which is really quite important to foodies like my wife and I. We will be traveling through Costa Rica in Jan 2016 for 3 weeks looking for a suitable place we may wish to rent for 3 months or more. However, for the Jan trip we will be staying in Playa Samara. How far is this place from where we are? We plan on touring a lot from Samara. 
Robert & Marsha

I don't drive so I'm not great at estimating travel times. I have friends at the Samara Info Center. They're on Facebook. They should be able to tell you how long it would take to get here. Also, if there are good places to get traditional food around Samara, they will know about them. Tell them Dolores sent you!

Costa Rica Bargain Hunter wrote:

OMG!  Everybody, please come to Zarcero! 'Comida Tipica,' or traditional food, is celebrated here!  There are local festivals every weekend and it is put on display to its' best advantage!  This weekend, Tapesco is the location of the festival.  It's just past Zarcero, on the road to Ciudad Quesada.  I expect all kinds of sweets, like candied figs and candied grapefruit.  Coconut candy, carrot candy and cheverre candy are also common.  The 'pan casero,' rustic bread, looks good and the locals are mad for 'queso palmito,' the local cheese that's sold in a ball shape but it's supposed to be like string cheese.  I've written articles about several of the places nearby that have local food all year long.  La Palmita, just before you get to Zarcero on the road from Naranjo is one place you can stock up anytime you make the trip to look at the topiaries in our central park.  I wrote about the Don Beto organic cheese company that's near here too.  Locally made cheese in a wide variety, including smoked cheese.  Near Tapesco is a really huge organic produce and milk product store where you can buy as much of the local organic fruits and veggies as you can fit in your car.  I'm writing about them on Sunday.  Another article I did was about a restaurant, very near Zarcero, called, 'El Sueño del Indio.'  Wonderful traditional food at great prices with a mountain view that's absolutely spectacular.  I wasn't sure if I could leave links.  Anytime you're coming this way and want advice on places to get the local food, message me, either here or at Costa Rica Bargain Hunter on Facebook.  There's even a local bar that has traditional food on their boca menu that's free, as long as you're drinking.  You could put together a tasting menu FREE and get a really good idea of what real Costa Rican food tastes like!

Thanks for the info. I figured there MUST be some good food somewhere, but it has not been easy to find.
We'll be living in San Ramon soon so we'll definitely put Zarcero on our list of places to check out.

The only comment I have about your post other than being happy you gave us this info is that the "queso palmito" is - to my taste buds - really lousy! My friend who tried it with me didn't like it either. I'd describe it as a rubber ball of tasteless stringy stuff. :P

I hope I can find local cheese that is good and not more than $4/pound. Here in the states I eat a lot of cheese and I notice when I am in Costa Rica I can't afford the imported cheeses. Instead of a great cheddar or jack for $3-4/pound they are like $8 a pound in Costa Rica!

My wife and I are going to try to make our own cheeses.

Rolllingstone wrote:

Thank you for this bit of information which is really quite important to foodies like my wife and I. We will be traveling through Costa Rica in Jan 2016 for 3 weeks looking for a suitable place we may wish to rent for 3 months or more. However, for the Jan trip we will be staying in Playa Samara. How far is this place from where we are? We plan on touring a lot from Samara. 
Robert & Marsha

Samara to Zarcero is going to be pretty much an all-day excursion for you.

Driving Distance: 209 km , Duration: 3 hours 47 mins, Route: Route 1
Different Units: 208.65 km, 129.65 mi, 112.66 nmi
Straight line or air distance: 129.04 km, 80.18 miles, 69.63 nautical miles.
Back to Distance Calculator OR Jump to Directions Map
FROM: http://distancecalculator.globefeed.com … ulator.asp

Not exactly "cuisine" but I thought I'd mention that I absolutely LOVE pejibayes with a little sauce of some kind, sour cream or cream cheese or whatever - the Ticos often serve them with mayo but I try to avoid mayo.

Does anyone here know where else in the world pejibayes grow? I've only ever found them in Costa Rica. I suppose I could do a duckduckgo.com search on them but just haven't gotten around to it.

I always look forward to eating pejibayes when I'm in Costa Rica!

I also love the fresh pipas - young coconuts. I swear these are super healthy and if you have a cold or flu they help get you better or at least make you feel better! (Disclaimer: this is not medical advice. I am not a doctor in spite of my vast knowledge of health supplements.)

In fact what I love about Costa Rican food is that there are lots of fruits and veges available at prices that are usually lower than in the U.S. When I'm getting business done in Costa Rica I often just buy a huge avocado, a papaya, some pejibayes and a pipa and eat those throughout the day. I have never seen any nutritional info on pejibayes but a really old "back to the land" type Tico who lived without plumbing or electricity told me you could live on pejibayes!

ONE good comment on Costa Rica food????  Just ONE???? That should set off alarm bells in your head and surely you must see many red flags pop up. I know that I had to take a deep breath at the flowing compliments about the food in one small town in Costa Rica. Then I wondered why is it that only one town has good food in all of Costa Rica? (Yes, she said the whole own has great food, no matter where you walk in the town, the food is delicious!) Well, I am not Sherlock Holmes but I have my own opinion and conclusion about that woman's review.
1. No such town exists! (But I have been through that town and it does exist, or I was mistaken about being there!)
2. The reviewer is an overly emotional do-gooder that just can't bring herself to be honest about anything. She must be positive about every aspect of living here or she thinks she is being unkind to someone. This same person, I'm sure, would be able to tell you the good points about the Ebola virus! I'm sure she is a very nice person, but something is very wrong there.  Is she really talking about her town now, or is it some past life experience she is relating?
3. This must be a mythical town, or the food is mythical! The reviewer got the name of the place wrong, Honest mistake!

I can only hope that some reader has the resources to go to that mythical town and give an honest review of what the food is like.My conclusion to this out-of-touch review is that something is very wrong with the reviewer. It can't be real. If she is correct then everyone else is wrong. What is she, The Pope??

I'm guessing the above comment refers to my review of the food around Zarcero, del12k. Bless your heart! You probably spelled the name of the town wrong. Zarcero is located on the road between Naranjo and Ciudad Quesada. It's the town with all the topiaries in the central park. It's a Costa Rican landmark. Other than that, opinions about food, and everything else, in Costa Rica are very subjective. I think you lean more toward the negative about most things. I'm off this thread, as I don't fight on line with people.

When I first came here I found most Costarican foods to be pretty bland and boring, but realized this is due to two reasons: 1) our American palate is bombarded with salt and artificial flavors so anything naturally flavored may seem boring. and 2) it depends on the cook.  I've had boring arroz con pollo, I've had horrible arroz con pollo, and I've had moist and well herbed arroz con pollo.  I have had quite a few terrible restaurant experiences, interestingly enough they were all from Costarican-owned restaurants (terrible food, old chicken, food poisoning).  Most of my good restaurant experiences here have been in Colombian, Argentinian, and US-owned restaurants. 

The beef here is pretty damn good, when you buy a good cut fresh and make it yourself.  We buy a big cut from pricemart that has a line of fat on it, and it tastes so amazing grilled.  My father in law tells me that the beef here is primarily grass fed, which may explain the flavor difference vs average U.S. beef.  It's a little tough, I imagine because of the terrain, but it is soooooo flavorful, sort of like Angus.

We buy salchichón and chorizo from a local deli guy, and they are amazing.  He makes them estilo casero, using a family recipe with fresh herbs and no preservatives.   

And I have to agree with Samramon, Pejibayes are the best!!! 

OH and those cheesy tortillas that you make with queso baguaces (sp?) and yogurt/sour cream and yellow corn flour.  Om nom nom.  Home made, of course, with plenty of sour cream on top. 

In the end, I believe that the food you make yourself is always the best, because you can make it to your liking.  I cook lots of traditional Costarican dishes, but I do it to my liking, adding extra fresh herbs and salt for flavoring to give it a little pizazz (ok, just kidding, the hot sauce is for pizazz).

I agree - Food is not CR´s forte.

1Q

It is horrible to generalize and state that there is no good food in Costa Rica. Sadly, that's very close to being true. Do we enjoy the chicken casada (chicken with rice and beans thrown on a plate) at the local sodas? Sure, it's a fine, cheap lunch if you're returning home from the beach. But if you want to eat well in this country (and you can, you definitely can), you'd better learn to cook. We eat at home 99% of the time. I had a wonderful Thai chicken salad last night at a restaurant in Samara . . . but had I prepared it myself it would have been outstanding. Learn to cook. I've got a number of recipes on my blog and am adding more all the time.

Given all of the above, I hesitate to ask - but can anyone recommend a decent restaurant in or near Jaco?

In Jaco…go to Soda Raquel.  Terrific food, especially the red snapper and the spicy chicken!

In Jaco there area lot of restaurants, and very few good ones. One good one is called El Cafecito by El Mono Verde.

After I found it I ate there everyday for breakfast. But I heard from various people that their dinners are excellent as well.
While I was in Jaco I ate out everyday for seven days, breakfast and dinner. And all that time I only found this one really good restaurant. The only reason I didn't eat dinner there is because it was a little far from my hotel.

There were a few others that were okay, but this was the only really good one I found. However there are hundreds I did not try. But the percentage of good ones is almost certainly very low. I probably ate at eight different restaurants and only found this one really good one. Ticos generally just don't know how to cook with any expertise.

While I'm on here, I will give a shout out, though, to a couple of pizza places I discovered in San Ramon where I lived for 6 years. The last year I was there, I discovered two Pizza places. Actually they serve Italian food, but I just went there for the pizza:
Chepe's... and Oct 29...
The former is across the street and 25 m in front and a little down the side street from Jackson Memorial clinic. And October 29th is north of the fire station near Bugys.

Thanks for the recommendation!