REASONS

Hi there,
What do u think are the most common reasons for coming to and leaving Jordan?

Expatriate jobs are one of the most common reason to come and leave Jordan,  just like tourism.

Are job offers so high? According to posts, lots of people complain about low wages, start searching after already living here for quite some time! I think only a few percentage have a serious job offer in the sack before arriving..

Have you any idea how big the foreign community is in Jordan?  You'll be surprised.

Not to mention the tourists.

Of course people always complaints about wages, it's never enough for them. While they make big money,  the locals can only dream of it.
I know it's a kind of compensation (leaving your country and so on) but you get much more in return and that is what some of them doesn't want to see.

I have heard about the tourism boom. I think foreigners make their money more independently than being payed by local companies. And the ones hired by local companies do not really earn that much unless really qualified and desperately needed... I have travelled the country several times, stayed at different locations, never saw any foreign staff. Another point you should take into consideration, the service leaves much to be desired, meaning they have noticed that tourists come anyway. Due to the huge run on Petra despite the salted entrance fee, I have heard ( possible rumors) the fee shall be tripled in the future! Still, I don't really believe that most foreign stuff is payed so much to relocate just for the money, unless like already mentioned, they found a big lack of experience desperately needed. Excluding exchanging programmes such as education f.e. They play in a league of their own :)

Hi Jo/EU

I've been back and forth to Jordan over last 10 years.  Met many expats from very many cultures.  Many western expats are commissioned by organisations outside of Jordan; I can quote large building projects like hotels, airport, United Nations, Embassies, Global Charities, News Agencies, Hotel management, Armed Forces, teachers and people who just love Jordan so much they want to stay.  Primadonna is right there is a large expatriate population more especially since the refugee crisis and the necessary humanitarian aid.  You are right that some salaries locally are low and therefore would not necessarily attract western cultures, but salaries are triple some of the eastern cultures where if they can find work locally they would earn a dollar a day compared to 3 JOD an hour in Jordan.  Maybe we just see expats as westerners but this is far from the reality.

Hi brit, and welcome to Jordan  :)

I must admit I don't have the insite to tell exactly how much one earns, it's just from hearing. The people I have met were not too enthusiastic though. I can not tell either whether the JD3 are payed on a regular 9 to 5 fulltime base, or just to help out. In Europe when I first started making money without any experience, just languages, any hotel would pay minimum JD 850 without the usual tips.  I think staying here is much desired since peaceful. Although tourism has served more or less as a accommodation job,  I considered it as a luxurious one about 25 years ago ... Money at the main Desk one definitely doesn't  earn here. According to TV reports, thousands went to the Emirates first when they started to become rich within the tourism branche, nowadays they can't afford rent there with the sallaries payed unless one enjoys a leading position..  Obviously in Jordan they are more generous  :top:
But generally, I still think wherever one comes from, one needs to be highly qualified in order to enjoy the high wages u mention... Or simply a good portion of luck  :D

Somehow I missed that you mentioned that many expats are being commissioned by foreign companies. That's correct, and they do earn better money. But whats helping them out are more the bonuses, like free accommodation, food and beverage, travel expanses etc....  Many of them are actually sent by huge hotel chains.  Nevertheless, rather  thought we were talking about the expats living here hired by local tourism companies.

It looks like I was focusing on tourism, while u were talking about expat jobs in general.

I really doubt jobs as being one of the main reasons for coming to Jordan when the wages and working environment in most places are not good.  Jordan is one of the most expensive middle eastern countries to live and the wages are very low.

What do you think what is the most common reason, Ladyluck?
Don't forget that the internationals and Embassies pay very well for their employees. Why do you think that the most expats living in the most expensive area and shops in the most in these areas too?
I never saw a foreigner buying fruits and veggies from the local market like I do.