Pre marital blood test Jordan

Hi, has  anyone been through pre marital formalities in Jordan recently? Pre marital bloodtest.(?!)... little invasive isnt it? what do they test there for exactly? Many thanx

hi,
welcome to jordan... it is for HIV.

Hi!  I went through it in 2005.  What they were actually checking for was Thalassemia.  Thalassemia is a genetic mutation of the blood cells akin to sickle-cell anemia.  It is indigenous to the Mediterranean region, and like sickle cell, the problem is with two people who carry the factor having a child if it inherits both factors -- it then develops the malformation in the blood and can have all kinds of ensuing bone and soft tissue responses to the anemia.  It's not fun and potentially deadly.  So they are checking the factors to let people know.  Both my husband and I don't share in the factor, so I don't know what happens if your tests come back positive.  You should receive results from the test that tells you what they were testing for unless they have stopped that now?  I know we had to bring the results to the next place...

The HIV test is for all Residency Applicants to Jordan.  Its standard procedure , but not a pre-marital requirement so far as I know so Im guessing vintage violet is correct

Hello,

I dont think there is any law that says HIV test is required for residency purpose, I am resident and came from Pakistan, the time i was applying for residency (temporary residence card) i was not asked for any medical test.

I was and that was in 2005 .... it comes in the form of a blood test

Everythingistaken wrote:

Hi, has  anyone been through pre marital formalities in Jordan recently? Pre marital bloodtest.(?!)... little invasive isnt it? what do they test there for exactly? Many thanx

Each day I learn somemething new on the forumn.
Back home there are couples that opt for premarital testing and its specifically for HIV and other STIs.  Its not obligatory but advisable for couples. Pretest counseling is offered before the tests are down and post test counseling before results are given

Been there,and YES..it is an Obligation to all couples who want to get married here in Jordan :)

Good Luck  :top:

vintageviolet wrote:

Hi!  I went through it in 2005.  What they were actually checking for was Thalassemia.  Thalassemia is a genetic mutation of the blood cells akin to sickle-cell anemia.  It is indigenous to the Mediterranean region, and like sickle cell, the problem is with two people who carry the factor having a child if it inherits both factors -- it then develops the malformation in the blood and can have all kinds of ensuing bone and soft tissue responses to the anemia.  It's not fun and potentially deadly.  So they are checking the factors to let people know.  Both my husband and I don't share in the factor, so I don't know what happens if your tests come back positive.  You should receive results from the test that tells you what they were testing for unless they have stopped that now?  I know we had to bring the results to the next place...

Wow.this is a good initiative. It would help and prepare the couple for the possibility of having an offspring with sickle cell Anaemia that's if one of them is a carrier.
This genetic infection is prevalent in the tropics too and very common in my country.its a very disturbing disease but usually detected at an early stage of life.

Children with sickle cell Anaemia are prone to any infections since their Red blood cells are abnormal?  White blood cells are weak so their immunity is boosted by Multivitamins , Folic acids and good nutrition.