I'm planning a trip to Myanmar, would like to know something

Hello expats and locals,

I'm planning a trip to Myanmar as I've heard that the best time to visit Myanmar is Oct to Mar.

As a Vietnamese passport holder, I have 14 days free visa to Myanmar and the air ticket of Vietjet Air Ho Chi Minh city - Yangon round trip is just less than 100 USD.

I don't know that much about Myanmar.
I have a Myanmarese ex-officemate when I lived in the Philippines and was about to visit him.
But he lives in Myitkyina which I checked one way air ticket is around 300 USD,
so I probably I want to save this money for something else.

I was about to book a flight to Bangkok, Thailand, then ride a bus from Bangkok to Yangon,
but the bus ride cost around 1500 bath, so I think now I just fly directly to Yangon.

I would like to know something about Myanmar.

1. As on the map, Myanmar has land border with China, India, Bangladesh, Thailand and Laos.
But currently, Myanmar is accessible by land from Thailand only, right?

2. Did the Asean highway finish? so the vehicles don't need to care about even days or odd days?

3. For expat-blog in other countries, I saw other destinations/smaller forum, like Vietnam, there are 17 destinations (Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh city, Da Nang, ...) but in Myanmar, only one. So expats only live in Yangon, other regions have very few?

4. When I travel, I usually request a stay with a host on Couchsurfing, and I usually got accepted.
I do want to see tourist spots, but I want to experience more local life/real life/real atmosphere there.
I've read that in Myanmar, tourists usually visit: Bagan, Mandalay, Inle ...
I'm planning to get into a bus to go somewhere outside of Yangon, as I've read the buses in Myanmar are very nice.

Are there anything out of tourism which are interesting?
I'm willing to work in a farm (or something like that), live with local or expats who living there.

I'm appreciate your own experiences, feelings and recommendations, any lead.

Thank you!

I can't answer most of your questions as I've only spent time in Yangon, mainly downtown area.

You're VN, I've been around HCM since 1994. Yangon 2015 reminds me much of HCM 1994. While the people are very friendly, the country is quite backwards.

I'm told only the Thai border is open to cross for foreigners. However, there can be problems there and the border may be closed for days.

Best way is to fly directly. If you want to stay longer, you could go to the Embassy/Consulate in VN and get 14days extension for about US $20.

You ask why Myanmar only has one forum unlike VN with 17. Probably the answer is because there are not that many expats outside of Yangon, except for maybe Mandalay.

If you want to experience Yangon everyday life, just walk up and down between 19th street up to 50st and you'll see quite quickly how it is there.

btw, there is a nice Viet owned restaurant called Cyclo and they also have a hotel next door. If you need to get some info or help, go there, most Viets who work or are living in Yangon will hang around there. They may be the best chance for you to hook up.

Have fun!

Hi
You sound like an adventurous person.
Check your visa for a land crossing but I am sure it will be ok.
Get an early approx 6am train from Thorbrri railway station, near Koh San rd in Bangkok to Kanachaburri (check my spelling). This takes three and a half hours and costs 100Baht. At Kanachaburri you can go by rail to the Death Railway and Hellfire pass if this interests you. If you do this trip you will need to stop overnight in Kanachaburri approx $6 a night at a guest house on the Kwai river. If you were  not interested in this you could keep going and catch a bus from the bus station at Kanachaburri going to the Thai / Myanmar border., 2 hrs and 70 Baht.
At the border a US$27 (they have a monopoly on this route unless it has changed) bus will take you to Dawei. Dawei is one of my favourite places to hire a motorbike to look around.
Your time is short and following this suugestion might take too much of your time. Plenty of buses North to other places.
By the way the road is new and 2 way from the border to Dawei.
Have fun
Malcolm

Thank you both for advices and informations!

I booked my airfares and coming to Myanmar on Oct 21 until Oct 26.
Will be/want to be in Yangon, Bagan & Mandalay, the rest is unknown.

I just want to experience local life as much as possible.
Although I know that tourist stay with local isn't allowed by law.
But I've heard that it's possible if I will be registered.
However, I don't know any person in Bagan or Mandalay who can help me to register.
Any lead is appreciated.

Or any temple/pagoda/monastery will allow people to stay?

Even meals, I just want to approach locals and ask them if I can join their meal.
I'm willing to pay for them and willing to eat whatever they have, even if they don't have good utensils and eat by hand ...
Is it possible?

I've heard that many people are poor in Myanmar.
I want to bring something for them (good clothes no longer used, books, notebooks, pens ...)
Do you think I should give that to them?

Thank you!

Thank you for all your help!

I spent all of my time in Yangon Region, and most of my time in Thabarwa centre.

You may read my trip report here.

Mingalaba

Nice report!

I see you found the cyclo restaurant and mr.lee's hotel. I didn't check the golden pho, but probably will try next time when I have to go there (Yangon).