First steps in the netherlands new adventure

hi
we are a couple in our early 50s starting our new adventure this september.
we have a great difficulty finding a place to live as we have no work yet...we are attending expat fair on 4th october..
im a dutch citizen and my wife has a romanian nationality
it looks as if ibis will be our first room...??? maybe airbnb is better?
what did you do when you looked for your first place?
it can be a room, but we have to write it as an address...we are very flexible- amsterdam is lovely but we can start anywhere.
all the best,
:)

Hello dannyre,

We arrived in Amsterdam in end March 2015 and we stayed in the Easy Hotel for a week.  It is a fairly cheap hotel and it is central enough but I am sure that there are cheaper places, we just did not know any of them.  We then set out to find a place to live.  We looked on the Dutch property websites and we found a short term rental for 7 months: fully furnished with all g/w/e, internet and service costs included.  We decided on fully furnished as we also did not have jobs nor did we have BS numbers.  We needed a fixed physical address to get the BS numbers and we did not want to tie ourselves to any area until we had jobs, so the short term rental has worked very well for us.  We did, however, have to pay for the full rental period upfront because we had no jobs or BS numbers. We moved into our home on the 1st April 2015.

Hope this helps?

Regards

you don't know how happy you made us!
so there is a way of renting, which rental company did you use?
we were thinking of starting in de haag because it might be easier than amsterdam in terms of work..
we will also have to study the dutch language although one of us is dutch (forget it all)
thanks again:)) :sosad::sosad:

We used websites like Funda and Expat Rentals.

As for learning Dutch: we started with using a free website called Duolingo and now we are taking Dutch Skype lessons (google: DutchNow . co).

I think you have to find a job first as this would be not easy. Although one of you have the Dutch nationality without speaking properly Dutch, it can be very hard. It all depends what kind of job you are looking for and unfortunately to say, your age is not going to help you either. The Dutch economy is slowly raising but its still weak.

But I wish you all the best and I hope you will succeed.

Hi again,
This time from the Netherlands: )
Can you please write down the name of the web you used?
I also tried to send you a mail..
All the best and thank you,
Dina