Canadian Family wanting to apply for visa

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me with which visa I should apply for?  My husband works around the world so we wont be working in NZ. I may look for a job once we get settled though.  I want our 3 kids to be able to go to school there too.  If I don't work, I may go to school as well. Being Canadian, can I come over for the 3 months and once I'm there, apply to stay longer or should I try to get a 12 month visa first?  If so which one?

If you come here on a visit visa whether 3 or 12 months your children will pay full school fees as foreign students to be exempt from this you either need a work visa or resident visa then the schools are free same with medicals will be subsidized or its pretty high.

Do I need to find a job or enrolled in a school before I come to NZ?

Well you can but its more difficult to find a job before coming here what people generally do is come here on a visit visa and find a job or find a job before coming here which as I said is more difficult once you get a job when you are here you apply for a visit visa and your children can attend school. It would pay to check the NZ immigration website.

ok thanks.  It's just chancy to come with my family leaving our country with the chance that we may not be able to stay longer then the 3 months that a Canadian can stay with out a visa

I believe you can get an extension if you receive only a three months visa on arrival but its best to check with the NZ High Com or apply for a one year visit visa before you come here try also applying for a work visa.