Your experience of culture shock in Honduras

Hi,

Living in a foreign country implies to discover its culture, to learn and master the cultural codes.

How did you deal with that? Share with us your culture shock stories where you experienced a funny or awkward moment in Honduras.

What is your advice regarding the don'ts and what would you recommend to avoid any mistake?

Thank you in advance for sharing your stories,

Christine

I can still get culture shock here after being here so many years, however when I first arrived it was extremely difficult. Much has changed and Honduras is extremely modern in comparison. I knew little Spanish and was located in Marale, Francisco Morazán. It was extremely poor and backwards. There was only one person who lived in Montaña de la Flor, who spoke English. You have to be careful and avoid depression.

This could get lengthy but I will keep it as short as I can. I have been here for 15 years and few people talk about culture shock. Living in the Bay Islands, where mainly English is spoken, it can really catch you off guard if you are not aware that it is possible and what it is that you are actually feeling.  People can get to foreign countries and "fall in love" with the place. Months later they can be bothered by everything.  My experience has been that it really does not matter if you made the move permanently or on are a long term visit.  "Culture Shock"  basically is a "feeling" that can come over you
that makes you uneasy. Normally triggered by an event that makes you realize that this is definitely not like home. That
"wave" or "feeling" can really get you if you let it.  It WILL happen. If you are here for six months or here permanently
you will feel the "wave". If you recognize it for what it is "culture shock"  you can say to yourself , "hey, self' that is culture shock and you then can deal with it.  If you do not recognize it you can really get upset, depressed, angry, all of it.

Part of the feelings that may be negative, when you think back on it make you laugh.  This post made me think of one that happened to me in San Pedro. I went to a store and right when I was going to pay for something the power went out and I could not use my credit card. I tried to pay them in U.S. dollars and they told me they could not accept them because the dollars I had were dated 2007 and it was 2008. Basically they told be they were expired!  After arguing in my best/worst Spanish, to no avail,  it really upset me in that I flew all the way to SPS just to buy that item.  Looking back it actually is hilarious. Then not so much.

Great Story! How about how change is given 10´s 1´s 20´s no order whatsoever, but always the correct amount!

We had positive experiences during our two years there and would love to go back. We were struck by how beligerant some parents can be about their child's private school.  Some parents seem to think that because they are paying tuition, that guarantees a passing grade,no matter how little the student works or studies!  They will badger the principal and even threaten to sue the school!  We saw this happen several times and the school was of average size.  Also, if you marry a Honduran, you also marry their whole family!  Don't ever try to get between someone and their family!