If Britain leaves the European Union.

I've just listened to a BBC Radio Four programme about Brits living in Bulgaria which presented a very positive view of how we can move there for a better life and how we can help Bulgarian people and their economy too.

However, some of the people interviewed expressed deep concern over what would happen if Britain were to leave the European Union. Their main worry seemed to be their pensions. I would have thought that a pension (be it a state pension, a company pension or a private pension) earned in Britain and paid into a British bank account would be relatively safe so the only thing that might have an effect on it would be exchange rate fluctuations. Am I right in assuming this?

Also, do you think there are there any other things that might change for the worse if Britain were to dip out of the EU?

I'm fairly sure that I will still move over there soon no matter what you say so please don't be afraid to hit me with the truth.

:)

I personally feel it is a big " if ", whether UK come out of the EU, they need to stay in it to sustain trading, finance, the country is not set up to run independently, you know yourself how any little fracas and skirmish UK troops turn up they do not keep their noses out even when larger more wealthy countries stay back, therefore personally I can't see them cutting off their nose off and dipping out of the EU? (I'd be more inclined to believe London would be more interested in pulling out of the UK and becoming independent the void of wealth between the capital to the rest of the UK is huge!?)
Steve.

It is indeed a big 'if' and I agree with what you say Steve, but it looks like the decision isn't going to be down to the Government. When we have out in/out referendum it will be the mostly ignorant British public that decides.

Yeah maybe so I don't honestly know how it works to be fair.
I am a firm believer in making my own path or destiny I too can be ignorant to what goes on around me in that respect.
Bit blinkered I guess, but if you can control your own way, then if it goes tits up its on you I suppose.
Either way way regards the issue like anything it'll happen if the sway of support wants it to, the voice on the so called street isn't going to be heard, issues normally are well out of reach by the time they become public, be better not to waste too much energy on something you can't change brother. Stay happy and healthy and enjoy life.
Cheers Steve.

Aye. Enjoy life. No matter where or how. That's the plan.

:)

I think,,if Britain leaves EU,it would be a disaster,,ie free movement for people & trade,,expats,,,we don,t have any info regarding Referendum,,ie,in or out? or better terms??,,,don,t forget "Rule Brittannia" dous,nt apply anymore,,thats why we joined EU,,but thank god,UK has its own currency & not Euro,,i hope BG never adopts Euro,,,,

Terry, For what it is worth, I think pension payments, European heath insurance card, residency even will not likely to be affected. I guess that in reality it would gain a status just like the Swiss do. Not part of the EU but sometimes you can't tell even. Whatever people vote for unless you move the British isles somewhere totally different they are in and part of  Europe like it or not. We have our own currency and have border controls, mind with events in Calais I am no longer so sure, so we are separate already, not so sure what voting-out would do for people like you and me.

Thanks for that beahor. I think I have already decided that I will be better off living in Bulgaria for dozens of reasons no matter what happens to Britain. Everyday there is at least one incident that makes me want to leave this place.

That's if the Queen will sanction your move!
Ha-ha  :joking:

In Britain I am  nomad, I live my own life isolated from both public and politics in an American RV and have done since 2009! I own a small bungalow as we in England call them,  in the Vratsa municipality and simply cannot wait to finally be able to put down my roots in a place I can call home. England is no longer the country my forefathers died to save from tyranny, it now has tyranny in the form of governmental corruption as does every other country! This plus its becoming a racial time bomb make it not a pleasant place to call home. I pay no interest to things which I cannot affect and as such stay focussed on my own life and future. Britain has been leaving the EU for almost 30 years isn't it now? As with most although not an informed opinion I feel it may be another 30 atleast :-) So let us simply enjoy what we have whilst we have it and leave the back stabbing and robbery to the powers that be! :-)

Many newcomers here, ourselves included, have a company. Even though EU residents are now legally able to buy property as individuals, there are advantages to having a company which owns the property --  which was the position before Bulgaria joined the EU. If Britain leaves the EU, which I think is unlikely, it is certain to retain close ties to the EU. Bulgaria is highly unlikely to force UK expats to leave but you could secure your residential status by setting up a company. Your pension - state or company - can currently be paid directly into a Bulgarian bank account now, and if Britain leaves the EU, the worst that can happen is that you lose index-linking - as is the case for UK expats in Canada and Australia.

Most of the anti-Eu feeling in the UK seems to be either concerns about the Euro -- and although BG hasn't joined the Euro its currency is pegged to it (1.98 lev = 1 Euro) -- concerns about the bloated bureacracy, or UKIP inspired propaganda.

Whatever the question to be set in the referendum states, Britain will ultimately have to decide whether it wants the free movement of goods and people, or prefers the restrictions and trade barriers. As a net exporter, UK will find it more expensive to trade if it leaves the UK. And ultimately that means higher prices for imported goods as well.

The plot thickens ...

So I'll be staying in the European Union even if Britain doesn't. It'll be nice to get away from the likes of Nigel Farage, Ian Duncan Smith and Boris Johnson.

What does everybody else think? Does anybody living in Bulgaria have any concerns?

Hi Terry,

First of all I find it very offensive that you lump the majority of the British public as ignorant. I and most of my friends are listening carefully to all sides of the 'In or Out ' debate , we want to have all the facts before we decide which way to vote. I am lucky in that I spend half the year in Bulgaria and the other half in England so the outcome is important to me. I find it very interesting that some people who have chosen to leave Britain for a ' better life ' would be even interested in the outcome I don't think they need to worry about their pensions. As yet I haven't made my mind up but when I do it won' t be based on ignorance

Have a good day Sylvia

I'm very sorry that you are offended by my comments Sylvia. Perhaps I should have said a large proportion rather than the vast majority.

Whichever way we turn, It does scare me that a decision as crucial as this to the future of our country is being made by so many people who do not understand what they are voting for and who are often so easily brainwashed by the media.

Is that better?

Terry.

Well, back to the question of how will coming out of the EU effect expats. I have to say I am following this debate far more closely than the staying in debate as I can't see a lot changing if we stay in. There are a number of serious issues for the expat that may/may not happen, not least the use of the health insurance card and the fact that if Britain does not allow EU members freedom of movement into Britain then the same could eventually apply to British people wanting to move throughout the EU. We bought our house in the days when we had to have a visa to enter Bulgaria and very few Bulgarians travelled throughout Europe, now every flight I am on is full of Bulgarians visiting Britain, if we stop this then I would not be surprised if we are back to the 90 day stay limit. I am, like many people unsure of what will/will not happen, the powers that be have yet to be more specific on details of which I feel they have no answers. We can only vote on what we feel is the best for Britain and our own circumstances.
I would be interested on any views on this topic
Best wishes Sylvia

Terry the M wrote:

it will be the mostly ignorant British public that decides.

As a fluffy bunny with a bright view on anything possible, I assume you mean "Uninformed".
Assuming that's the case, you're very probably right.

A very large number of people will get their opinion and voting bent from one pathetic newspaper or another, and many of the papers are coming down anti Europe.
I've been more than a little busy this week, but I took a moment to look at the Mail's stories on the subject, and none are at all flattering about the European ideal.
There are direct attacks against the PM, and a lot of supporting stories about Boris. The overall tone, along with mocking stories about the EU , is a "Get out" message.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … oters.htmlhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … vants.html

I'd almost forgotten why I stopped reading British newspaper until I tried to look at The Sun, not being able to find any Euro stories because of all the stupid sex articles.

Sine I will be embarking on my move to Bulgaria in a few weeks time, I would be most upset if I had driven all those miles to transfer my belongings only to find new restrictions on my resident status! Like Moonraker, I bought through a company with my property as an asset, but had begun to think closing the company would be a wise move and transfering the property into my opwn name. However I wouldn't know how to go about closing the company. I get charged a fee for accounting each year, yet do no business! I just want a quiet life in the sun..far away from the madding crowd!

Hi we also had to register as a company to buy the land and sudsequently build a house and like you we have had to pay an accountant to submit the necessary documents declaring no profit has been made on said  company. This has to be done each year and seems a total waste of money and I have thought of having the company dissolved, however, I think we will wait until we are sure of what is going to happen with the EU. At least with a company you can get residency status. If you do want to dissolve the company I would first of all speak to the accountant who submits your yearly accounts, he/she may say they don't know about this but will of course lose their yearly fee.

Hope this helps a little Regards Sylvia

Thanks Sylvia,
I wasn't aware of what you say with regards to my having a company  affecting residency status, can you elucidate a little more, please? I questioned the yearly accounts and was told it wasa either pay the 240 euro's or get fined 5000 lev!  My life has been hell for the past six years and having now done what I feel is my tour of duty I just want to settle down and relax for once in a long long time! Kind Regards Bruce

Hi,,you don,t have to have a company to get Resident Card,,just sufficient funds to support yourself

Thanks Eddie,
There are a lot of things I'm yet to learn about my future life in Bulgaria. I already have a company and  am intent on always having enough money put aside, to fly back to the UK if money gets low. At least here I can re inflate my account and then return to my house to carry on, enjoying myself. Kind regards
Bruce

That's very good to know, I learn something everyday

Hi Bruce,

I wouldn't worry too much, I am sure you will have a very relaxed life in Bulgaria, it is a lovely country.Stuff has a way of sorting itself and most things are solvable.

Enjoy the adventure.

Regards Sylvia

Hi,,,you don,t need a D visa,,,towards the end of 90 rule,apply for your Resident card

I don't want Britain to leave the eu I want to move to bg for a better life. Seeing so many people showing their selfish attitudes on social media about this small island, it's ridiculous. Sometimes I feel so ashamed seeing the wonderful hospitality given by people I other countries, where many British people, are all out for themselves and have no empathy for their fellow mankind.

Thank you very much, enough to do without going to BG embassy Uk and not being given much help! Taken weight off my mind. Hotchpotch