Driving in Mauritius

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Mauritius? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Mauritius?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Mauritius: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Ex-Pat Flic-En-Flac to Port Louis would take around 45 Minutes , Mauritian driver around 35 minutes , Mauritian Taxi or Late night bus driver can do the same journey in about 25 minutes !!!!!.

Most Mauritian drivers learn the 30 second rule , your car demands that if you are waiting behind somebody then after 30 seconds you must try and overtake no matter where or if anything is coming towards you.

ARMCO in Mauritius has some sort of force field that attracts vehicle to it on a regular basis. Many sections have been fighting with cars every week but the cars still come back for more.

Buses are required to leave their indicators on at least 30 seconds after leaving the Bus Stop.

Motorcyclists are expected to overtake on the the left hand side of the road and take no notice of you even if you are turning left.

Dipped beam headlights are optional on most old cars and if in use the car only has one working. However the full beam seems to work always as do the christmas tree of coloured LED lights dotted around the car or on the roof etc.

Often you will see cars coming towards you and the drivers flash the headlights,  it is not some sort of special freemasons code , but very often they are warning each other that the MPF is just around the corner making random checks so always have access to your driving licence and insurance details in the car with you.

By the way  MPF means the Mauritius Police Force and not after a random check  Must Pay Fine !!!!

I drive around on my scooter.

These are my annoyances:
Port Louis -> Flic en Flac.  Most of the time people are okay but some of them drive like proper aholes, overtaking 5 cars and a bus at once.

The cars from oncoming traffic don't care when they overtake if you on a scooter, they just think of you small enough to hug the curb so i can overtake and almost have a head on collision with you.

Why do you need to overtake me doing 70/80 on this road when there is a bus infront of me and no way of going past?  How is this going to help you?
Same as above, Why do you need to overtake me at 120kmh and then literally come to a stop when going over those small little speed bumps and i overtake you because i just go at a consistent speed?

Sorry rant over.  Generally people drive alright though, just the odd few here and there that make me want to punch something.

There is a saying which goes by: if you can drive in Mauritius, you can drive anywhere in the world. It sad that i have to drive carefully not for myself but for people who have zero driving etiquette. Worst drivers are courtiers [vans], Bus Drivers [contractors especially for people who drive in the south] & finally people on their bikes who doesn't about being hit at all. A quick example are taxi drivers overtaking you in a one-way lane and doesn't care about being hit. I am not shocked to see all these road accidents all because of a few people who want to drive like @**holes. Taking your foot off the pedal doesnt hurt sometimes. Peace & Love K

Hi,

Driving in Mauritius is unsafe, a huge worry if you have a toddler with you. Mauritian people don't like to use common sense, they over take without evaluating the situation. Motorbikes think its fine to over take from the left!

Drivers cut into your lane form the opposite direction and flash headlights at you to stop, so they can get through. Bus drivers do not pull over to the complete left to make is difficult for cars to over take them. Buses speed and race other buses to pick up more passengers putting other peoples life's at risk so they can earn a few rupees more.

Their are many other issues on the roads. But for the people who do drive safe need to kick up a fuss when this happens, need to make a noise and let them know is not fine, for example if I see a bus racing and trying to over take me - he will not get passed, I will not speed but take my car to the right a little (they soon get the point). Also buy a dash cam.

Above all, the government chooses to turn a blind eye until a few 100 people have died. Government needs to put adverts on TV to show what is okay and what is NOT okay. We have these adverts in England and they are a powerful message and indeed soon enough people will start knowing right from wrong.

Mauritian drivers are the most selfish in the world!

Agree with everything said on here.
Will just add that another bug bear of mine is taxi drivers who cruise for a fare and stop dead in front of you without warning - this happens frequently on the Pereybere to Grand Baie  main road.

you can also include the 'un-licensed cabs' that lurk around bus-stops etc waiting to take people in their private cars.

Un-licensed is a bad thing as you do not know who you are with or the state of the car or insurance etc.  , these cars do not have either a taxi sign or the yellow plate on the side. they are best avoided if you can spot them as they will stop anywhere to either drop people off or pick them up. A favourite is at traffic lights even when they are green and by the time they get the passengers in and out of the car the lights are back to red.

I have never seen any Mauritius Police Force actually stop one of these people operating in this way.

i will say that the people who drive 20/30km UNDER the speed limit can be even more dangerous than the speeding ones.  Jeez i  saw some close calls the other day with people get frustrated by slow drivers and then trying to overtake at any given time without looking further than 1 car ahead.  People need to chill out and stop rushing.

I absolutely agree with you. I drove fromRose Belle to Chemin Grenier Last night at 6.30 pm and it was horrible as you could not possibly overtake any of those "escargots" on the road. It is just like in the UK, the weekend Drivers!! Honestly, I must admit that you need to change the attitude and slow down and do not allow your BP to rise.  It is only a tiny island and no one should be in a rush. Take your time,think and concentrate on your journey!!

There are no "safe roads" in Mauritius. The standard of driving is abysmal. I know it is by no means the only country where that applies but I am amazed not more people die. How they get licences one has no idea. The crawlers, the wannabe F1 drivers, the kamikaze over takers, those who stop in traffic lanes to take calls or talk to friends or just because. No lights at dusk or in bad weather. Keep left and pass right on motorways? You must be joking. Half the problems of traffic jams are caused by bad driving. People seem incapable of working out that if you overtake and squeeze in it actually saves you no time at all. Just wasting fuel and wear and tear on your own vehicle. I used to get upset but now I just let them go. If you want to have a head-on with a bus, be my guest but you will not take me with you,

I've travelled all over this planet and never experienced anything like the driving in Mauritius. It is so sad and terribly scary. Until the police actually enforce the rules of the road (and hand out fines that really hit the pocketbook) and attendance in a reputable driving school is required before a license is given, I don't believe anything can/will ever change. 😞

Driving in mauritius is indeed atrocious, but I doubt it compares to Delhi or Manila. Try those cities on for size.

I'm sorry to say that drivers in Mauritius don't have any discipline ther drive like maniacs  they don't give away they don't stop iin zebra cross specially the buses government should do something about the  exhaust feel the smoke is so bad I hope the next time I come to Mauritius it all changes if you don't agree with me please reply

Meant to add...in order to drive safely in Mauritius my tips would be:
1. Take your time.
2. If (WHEN!) someone wants to overtake, just slow down and let them do it.  It's not worth putting yourself and others in harms way when someone chooses to pass you with oncoming traffic or on a solid white line (or on a blind curve or on a hill...you get the idea!)
3. Remain calm, breathe deeply and try to take in the beauty around you. 
4. Defensive driving is key here.  Always expect the unexpected (bicyclist leaning with his/her head in the road examining their bike tire, stray doggies running in front of you (although they have a real knack for staying out of traffic most of the time--amazing!), people stopping their cars in the middle of the road/making little to no effort to pull safely off to the side to have conversations with others or speak on the phone, motorcyclists passing on both sides, huge sugar cane trucks/busses/vans zooming around blind corners and into your lane.) 
5. Plan your time and leave early so you aren't in a rush.  This will allow you to be calm and less stressed when driving to your destination. 
:)

The accuracy of your comment is astonishing!

My 10 tips:
1. Cars coming towards you that flash their lights - In the UK that means come on I will wait, here it means get out of my way I am coming through,
2. Beeping their horn as they over take you, not in anger but just to let you know they are overtaking
3. You leave a safe gap between your car and the one in front in case they break suddenly but someone will overtake to take the gap.
4. Make sure you slow down if someone is overtaking you on a hill or on a bend, just in case someone is coming the other way and a crash ensues.
5. Watch for buses pulling out from the bus stops without signaling - I have had a few near misses
6. Allow at least one metre when overtaking a bike with his wife and child, baby, shopping and a car tyre on board, I overtook someone like this once and the police stopped me and said I should leave a bigger gap i.e. one metre - no mention of how unstable the bike was due to his load
7. Dual Carriageway driving, expect someone from the opposite side of the road to be driving towards you using your lane and flashing at you to get out of the way ;)
8. Try not to stress when the car behind you is so close you can see the driver and not the front of his car, I just slow down a little so he can overtake.
9. Be extremely careful when turning right, even using your indicators, someone will try to overtake as your pulling over - had my first accident like this :( Check your mirrors time and time again before turning, also stick your arm out!
10. Zebra crossings - not many people stop at them, so be careful if you do, check your rear view mirror to make sure no car is close to you before you stop. In the UK we have to stop and we have to wait until the person is totally off the crossing before we can move forward.

Try not to get stressed or angry at inconsiderate or dangerous drivers, hang back a little and let them get past you, and carefully go on your way :)

I always thought driving in Mauritius was easy, as long as you realize that all the others on the road are either idiots with no driving skills and/or judgement of traffic whatsoever, or psychopaths/people with a death wish. It's just a matter of anticipation. And sometimes going offroad when you really can't avoid a head-on collision.
In my opinion, the most dangerous part is avoiding the bikes without lights once the sun has gone down.

gronk007 wrote:

Driving in mauritius is indeed atrocious, but I doubt it compares to Delhi or Manila. Try those cities on for size.

Thanks but no thanks. No Delhi for me

I am a French driver, I have driven for decades on the right side of the road. It has been quite a challenge for me to adapt. My old vintage car suffered a lot but I never hurt nor killed anybody neither have I been hurt nor killed. But I've been abused a lot, especially as I am a woman I've been told to go back to the kitchen to cook dinner.

In fact I am becoming aware that my driving has dramatically improved since I am here. Since 90 percent of the population doesn't respect the  road law I am becoming much more vigilant. My patience too is improving, however I haven't found a way to cope with the constant horning.

Thanks to those who contributed above. I've learnt a lot from them.

Rosiewestie wrote:

My 10 tips:
1. Cars coming towards you that flash their lights - In the UK that means come on I will wait, here it means get out of my way I am coming through,
2. Beeping their horn as they over take you, not in anger but just to let you know they are overtaking
3. You leave a safe gap between your car and the one in front in case they break suddenly but someone will overtake to take the gap.
4. Make sure you slow down if someone is overtaking you on a hill or on a bend, just in case someone is coming the other way and a crash ensues.
5. Watch for buses pulling out from the bus stops without signaling - I have had a few near misses
6. Allow at least one metre when overtaking a bike with his wife and child, baby, shopping and a car tyre on board, I overtook someone like this once and the police stopped me and said I should leave a bigger gap i.e. one metre - no mention of how unstable the bike was due to his load
7. Dual Carriageway driving, expect someone from the opposite side of the road to be driving towards you using your lane and flashing at you to get out of the way ;)
8. Try not to stress when the car behind you is so close you can see the driver and not the front of his car, I just slow down a little so he can overtake.
9. Be extremely careful when turning right, even using your indicators, someone will try to overtake as your pulling over - had my first accident like this :( Check your mirrors time and time again before turning, also stick your arm out!
10. Zebra crossings - not many people stop at them, so be careful if you do, check your rear view mirror to make sure no car is close to you before you stop. In the UK we have to stop and we have to wait until the person is totally off the crossing before we can move forward.

Try not to get stressed or angry at inconsiderate or dangerous drivers, hang back a little and let them get past you, and carefully go on your way :)

Tip 1 has now both meanings I think. I was quite puzzled at first. In France it also means "come, I will wait." So that's what I tend to do.

Tip 2: it took me two years to understand but I still stress each time somebody horns and wonder "What have I done wrong?"

Tip 6 is just unbelievable!!!

Tip 7 this annoys me a lot and I flash back or even horn and do improper gestures (that's bad)

Tip 9 I try to never turn right

Tip 10 I check my mirrors ALL THE TIME but I will never stick my arm out in case somebody overtakes and breaks my arm. It happened, not to me.

Tip 10 : then years ago Mauritian drivers stopped at zebra crossings. In France no drivers at all stop at a zebra crossing. So they adopted the French attitude. I try to stop at zebra crossing but as you say I check before there's no car close to me.

Phew - this is exhausting -it teaches me patience !!!

GENE78,
Your '10 commandments' are awesome and 100% on nail's head and will save lives if heeded. Took me a few months of driving here to realize these unwritten rules, I had to learn a few more since I was a full UK licensed biker...yep! those were scary times...I sold the bike.
May I add...if cars or vehicles are overtaking a stationary parked car or whatever, be very careful of oncoming vehicles bumper to bumper on YOUR side of the road...they expect YOU to stop to give THEM the right of way...I know, I know, it doesn't make sense and is extremely dangerous...there are lots of things that 'don't make sense' in Mauritius :D.

Chigong, the 10 commandments are not mine but Rosiewestie's. I read them thoroughly and made comments. And yes Mauritius is a non-sensical island, like some excerpts of "Alice in Wonderland" Did you know there's a dodo in Lewis Carroll's book?

A Dodo? :o ...I suppose just like the 'theory'  of Yin & Yang and relating that to what Mark Twain supposedly said about God modelling paradise on Mauritius... The Dodo never saw it coming ;) because they had no idea that hell even existed for them on such a beautiful island...  :whistle: . Drive safely.