Driving in Oman

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Oman? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Oman?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Oman: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

i think traffic's quiet controlled in oman - the only problem's extremely slow/nervous and fast drivers - both of'em are a great danger/risk to others.

Hello,
i have been in Oman for quite long time and driving from last 8 years.
i find driving in Oman is safer than driving in my own country.

Driving in Muscat is very different as compared to driving back home.

One point which I would like to highlight is during overtaking.
Drivers should look and ensure that overtaking is safe, then signal and then check again that road is clear, reduce speed and then overtake safely.

I observed that most of the drivers overtake or change lanes without checking.

Please bear in mind Speed Kills.

In fact I sent a draft about traffic in Oman two months before ,but it seems it went with the wind. Anyways,I found traffic in Oman ideal same is roads quality and police delligence.I drove in USA,UK,Germany, and Europe ,MENA,the Gulf,Thailand,and had been in many other countries. Oman comes amongst the best ,notwithstanding the fact that more than a hundred nationalities are scattered in the streets ,with different cultures,backgrounds,IQ levels; One uncivilized phenomena is really embarrassing when going left as traffic light turns green ,a few drivers take extra lane to the right and shoulder the disciplined queing drivers to insert those (few law-breaking cars) in the way of the disciplined ones .Otherwise thank God and many thanks to those drivers who 99.9% abide fully and follow rules,signs and drive safe.

Hi all...
I got my Oman driving license a few months ago and have generally found driving in Muscat a pleasant experience. I've even 'unlearned' a couple of bad habits such as switching lanes when driving out of the roundabout and following vehicles too closely along the freeway. I've driven in Malaysia, Singapore, UK, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand but the Oman experience seems the best...perhaps there are fewer cars on the road or drivers are less in a hurry. I plan to drive out of Muscat to other areas in the coming months and time will tell more about the drivers and driving in Oman.
Cheers!

We need more foot bridge or subway for crossing road. Especially between Ruwi to Barkha for those people who don't have driving licence.

There is no much difference. I hope there is a unified driving company and liscense system for the people who would like to learn how to drive.

Driving in Oman is very dangerous. Omani's are not taught the road rules during their road test. They drive extremely close behind you as a way to have you move over. This is a everyday driving. They all do it. They have frequent accidents on the road. They also do not believe in securing their children in car seats or using seat belts. I have seen women with infants and young children in the front seat of a vehicle. Children walk around in moving vehicles and they are not stopped by the police. In all, Omani's have no regards for the road. They believe that it is the car that will end up in a fatal accident and not themselves. Overall they are reckless drivers.

Driving in Oman - well, like anywhere have your wits about you but possibly more so as most of them don't appear to have theirs as they are too busy on their phones or racing their pals. The driving is generally of a poor standard with a high road kill rate though possibly not as bad as neighbouring countries as the cars are (not yet) as big and fast and eye contact is possible as the windows unlike those in the UAE and Saudi are not blacked out. A look often gets an apologetic smile.

Signalling is optional and Real Men (for it is always men) don't give way. If the car ahead signals in all likelihood it will be a migrant worker from the west. Lane indiscipline is as rife as you would expect. The cops have recently had a higher profile and do give out tickets but it's not much of a deterrent.

Out of Muscat driving is a breeze, well I thought so, there are some good roads most of which are empty so you can relax until some moron decides it's a good idea to tailgate you at 200 kph. Statistically said young male moron will probably end up as a statistic and take himself out of the gene pool for the good of everyone.

That said, I never had any problems driving in the Gulf - a few hairy moments but nothing that being alert and driving as I would back home doesn't solve and it such experiences have made driving in Rome and Paris painless.

A solution to the useless driving - ban automatic cars, then they would have to concentrate on changing gears rather than sending messages.

My Experience Driving in Oman for 1 1/2 years . i love and enjoy driving in oman due to a lot of road challence  iT was never been a boring ON road. if you drive from muscat to Sur,( pass through nice curving road and the natural beauty of oman A very nice the mountinous rock.   and if you wish to climb TO maountain in oman to discover rivers waterfals, and lot of places , and you are still safe, the Omani Attitude in terms of driving they more humble and well smilled nationals, they are friendly to expat. Compare to Other GCC Nationals..
in terms of traffick  80 kp/h  100 kp/h and 120 kp/hr they say its plus 15 kl/h  and i love to drive 135 kl/hr as normal highway
and  when i drive from out of Muscat to Salala i drive 180 Kl/h for almost 4 hours thats time still no road survelance....
I love to drive in Oman  you will  never got boring on road.... Nature's beauty  everywhere...in oman...
i miss my fishing in oman...

Driving is horrific in Oman. I come from a country with almost the same population yet Oman has nearly a thousand times more fatal road accidents. Speeding, altered state driving, tail-gating and not indicating appear frequently in Oman. It's also  taking a very long time for many to accept using seat belts.  There can be sense of fatalism in Oman so many may not view driving techniques as their responsibility.
No matter how horrific another driver may be, even if s/he practically kills you-do NOT appear upset or angry and definitely do not how a rude gesture or say a rude word. This risks being charged under defame laws. One must be warned about this.

Good one

My driving experience after 11 years: take care of yourself as nobody will take care of you! On a 3 lane road you will find in the center lane the slower traffic, on the left the faster but on the right lane the dangerous: overtaking with a high speed, sudden change of the lane without indicating and tailgating is very common. Stop signs are just decoration. Humps on service roads seem to be the only way to stop speeding - and if needed there will be even 8 of them per km.
Police is working hard to fight reckless driving but officers get bonuses for parking tickets - what to expect....
Once I had an accident: at an intersection a car coming from the service road stopped to let me pass (my right of way) and blocked my view. Passing that car I was hit by an other one behind which couldn't even watch the other traffic and didn't want to stop at the stop sign. Small kids inside without seatbelt. When we met the next day at the insurance office he brought a different car and was insisting the crash never happened. Checking the licence plate and chassis number made it simple to find the liar was guilty but shows what to expect. Beware of Lexus drivers!