Driving in Gambia

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Gambia? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Gambia?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Gambia: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Hi Maximilien,

What do you think of the way people drive in Gambia?
Westerners Drive Normally, The Gambian's drive any way, go on the wrong side.

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, what are the characteristics of the driving style in Gambia?
Westerners Drive Normally, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, Crap, but they are getting better..

Speed excess… Only got a New Vehicle, most go around at 30/40mph, and things pop of, Tyres, Exhaust, Doors..!!! Oh and Goats and Chickens..!!!

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Gambia: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.
Gambia: peak hours, get a good Book..  Road conditions, not to bad, but when you go of the Tarmac, Your on Sand..  As for accident's strange not many..

Ricgrey...

Coming from the UK I have noticed that the driving here isatrocious  very dangerous on the roads no respect or courtesy so I have learned to give no courtesy to any of the taxi drivers or buses  they do t even know to stop at a red light  the police should have more control on the driving I jave seen people drink alcohol all day and get in their cars and drive so you must be vigilant at all times and let people know when they cut you up or nearly kill you with a few good English swear words because that is all they seem to take notice of sorry to say but I drive here every day and at least four or five near misses by taxis etc I dont think they have passed a driving test really

Shocking driving here

As long as you are not faint hearted, have a good sense of humour and have no concern for your personal safety it is hilarious!  50% of vehicles are mot failures and the other 50% are driven by lunatics!
So as long as you don't even blink when driving and treat every vehicle as guided missile locked in on you it's fine.
Great fun though!

Hi Alan Ames
Like that it;s Your now is getting better, hope You post again,,,!!!

Rich....