Your experience of culture shock in Saudi Arabia

Hi,

Living in a foreign country implies to discover its culture, to learn and master the cultural codes.

How did you deal with that? Share with us your culture shock stories where you experienced a funny or awkward moment in Saudi Arabia.

What is your advice regarding the don'ts and what would you recommend to avoid any mistake?

Thank you in advance for sharing your stories,

Christine

Subscribed!!!!!!

Can't wait to see this :D

I experienced a live here full of negative shocks  :dumbom:

While chatting about our schedules during Ramadan I mentioned that we only get 30 minutes lunch break. I was still new to the culture and didn't notice my faux pas till someone else pointed it out, it left me feeling all awkward and embarrassed  :(

Shii wrote:

While chatting about our schedules during Ramadan I mentioned that we only get 30 minutes lunch break. I was still new to the culture and didn't notice my faux pas till someone else pointed it out, it left me feeling all awkward and embarrassed  :(

Hahahaha ok that's a good one.

Here's another one, Once a local offered me some sweets and I reached the box to take the sweets with my left hand and he pulled the box away and this happened like 4-5 times and I was really agitated about it and almost when I was going to grab his neck he took out the sweet from the box with his right hand and kept it in my right hand !!  :lol:

I always use my right hand to pass things over, like money or papers.Once, in a restaurant, I purposefully ate with my left just to bother the Saudi guys around me. I wash both hands, eat foods like burgers and sandwiches with my hands, open doors, scratch my arm with either hand... It's an antiquated custom but when in Rome etc..

The biggest problem I encountered in Saudi Arabia upon arriving was the fact that most business don't open until at least after the evening prayer (these days after 7:30 p.m.). And to make things more challenging I was stopped from entering malls several times even when they were open because it was deemed family time. This irritated me immensely! After being here four years, I have learned to beat the system a little. There are a few things you can put up a fight and get away with it especially if you are an American, Canadian or British citizen. The mall hours issue for example, when the security guards come to me trying to say I can't go in, I start speaking English and don't hesitate on my intention of just coming in... I just keep walking.

Fast forward three years, and the biggest issue for me is the killer traffic in this country! Already wrote a long piece about this on another post.

Be safe out there focus!

ginoexpatksa wrote:

The biggest problem I encountered in Saudi Arabia upon arriving was the fact that most business don't open until at least after the evening prayer (these days after 7:30 p.m.). And to make things more challenging I was stopped from entering malls several times even when they were open because it was deemed family time. This irritated me immensely! After being here four years, I have learned to beat the system a little. There are a few things you can put up a fight and get away with it especially if you are an American, Canadian or British citizen. The mall hours issue for example, when the security guards come to me trying to say I can't go in, I start speaking English and don't hesitate on my intention of just coming in... I just keep walking.

Fast forward three years, and the biggest issue for me is the killer traffic in this country! Already wrote a long piece about this on another post.

Be safe out there focus!

Business open at 7:30pm ? that's news to me. Business open at 5pm here. They shut down for prayers which is another story.

You say you're in jeddah? is there an underground business culture I'm not aware of that starts the work shift at ? I found all business to open in the morning (except on FRidays) and close for prayer time at their scheduled time -  no security guard ever stopped me and "please" goes such a long way here - please almost opens all doors. try it. 

ginoexpatksa wrote:

Be safe out there focus!

rareshine wrote:

You say you're in jeddah? is there an underground business culture I'm not aware of that starts the work shift at ? I found all business to open in the morning (except on FRidays) and close for prayer time at their scheduled time -  no security guard ever stopped me and "please" goes such a long way here - please almost opens all doors. try it.

about the mall thing,  single men are stopped on weekends from getting in. But, if one is in proper attire (no shorts, tshit, hat, etc) will have no issues getting in.

But your avy !  #thuglife (straight outta bosnia)

Restaurants and Shops being shut during the prayers was the most shocking / discomforting part of KSA life. And with the prayer timing changing everyday, it was like a race to buy the things, swipe the card and run out of the supermarket in time. Planning ahead, to a certain extent can avoid the last minute rushes and long wait for shops to re-open.

On the other hand, dealing with my landlord was a pleasant experience as he was really warm and welcoming.

Local laws we have to obey, plan for shopping , no one in UK asks why the shops are close at evening except weekends,  :cool:   

ghanshyampdave wrote:

Restaurants and Shops being shut during the prayers was the most shocking / discomforting part of KSA life. And with the prayer timing changing everyday, it was like a race to buy the things, swipe the card and run out of the supermarket in time. Planning ahead, to a certain extent can avoid the last minute rushes and long wait for shops to re-open.

On the other hand, dealing with my landlord was a pleasant experience as he was really warm and welcoming.

Prayers only change by the minute, it is not like it jumps around by the hour. - I mean, with the internet available - hasn't anyone done any research before arriving?

Hallo from Arnaud in Paris is it getting better in future

What surprised me the most is that landlords refuse to a sign a contract with Females nor they accept to rent them a house if there's no male to deal with them.

agottgens wrote:

Hallo from Arnaud in Paris is it getting better in future

Allo...dude...no tourism....it's looked after by SCTA kapish ? Comprendre ?

my shock was in the first day to arrive in Riyadh when they opened the plan doors it was like opening a pre-heated oven i thought i am gonna get BBQ ed here  :sick
the second thing when i was on the streets in the first day i used to see ppl walking around on the streets but now its all cars  i thought i am in the cartoon movie cars no humans  :/

I had been in Riyadh and Dammam for over eight months.
So I thought I was really starting to settle in.
Indeed I was invited to a huge Saudi wedding.
The old hands already know the drill; 300 men in one huge room with hundreds of mini-thrones to sit on, and 300 women somewhere completely different.
So, dressed up in my suit, I was invited to sit down with my new high-level business contact at a table with his family.
Of course a huge piece of lamb with rice took pride of place in the middle of the table.
Being properly acculturated by now, as I thought I was, I used my hand to put rice on my plate.
Only then did I look around.
All the rest of the Saudis at my table looked shocked, as they held onto their forks!

BerlinerKiwi wrote:

I had been in Riyadh and Dammam for over eight months.
So I thought I was really starting to settle in.
Indeed I was invited to a huge Saudi wedding.
The old hands already know the drill; 300 men in one huge room with hundreds of mini-thrones to sit on, and 300 women somewhere completely different.
So, dressed up in my suit, I was invited to sit down with my new high-level business contact at a table with his family.
Of course a huge piece of lamb with rice took pride of place in the middle of the table.
Being properly acculturated by now, as I thought I was, I used my hand to put rice on my plate.
Only then did I look around.
All the rest of the Saudis at my table looked shocked, as they held onto their forks!

I chocked on my apple very bad...dude best post so far!

The use of fork and spoon is to keep up with the western tradition, although I like digging in with the hands. Medieval times.

you're an egyptian, you're like a well done steak on N. AFrican fire

Immortal83 wrote:

my shock was in the first day to arrive in Riyadh when they opened the plan doors it was like opening a pre-heated oven i thought i am gonna get BBQ ed here  :sick
the second thing when i was on the streets in the first day i used to see ppl walking around on the streets but now its all cars  i thought i am in the cartoon movie cars no humans  :/

i think i was medium rare now i am well done :P

Where are my Internet memes :P

rareshine wrote:

Prayers only change by the minute, it is not like it jumps around by the hour. - I mean, with the internet available - hasn't anyone done any research before arriving?

I have discovered that Saudi Arabia has a very rich culture. From the religious practices and its strict observance, to the music, to their food, to how they were able to preserve wearing traditional clothing that their ancestors have also worn thousands of years ago. It is truly amazing to see that.

I have read in the answers that came before mine that they thought that it is bothersome, some of the traditions, such as closing of the stores during prayer times. But let me remind you that whoever have thought to implement this, has been very thoughtful of those who are working, so that the workers may still comply with their religious obligations.

Not only that, I worked in a hospital and I was able to closely observe how their family structure works. Dad works hard and provides, their sons take care care of their mother, drive them around, the mother nurtures her family, daughters helping their mother. It is stereotypical but it works.

But what really shocked me when I first came to Saudi Arabia (although I already expected this) is what you would notice very first thing once you step out of the airport: No,not the heat, that's due to geography, not culture. It is that their women are covered in black from head to toe. What a sight seeing all these women in black, wobbling like a penguin colony. (I'm very sorry but this was my first thought) and it took me quite sometime adjusting to walking around in 40 degree weather wearing my clothes and this compulsory black cloak that covers me and this hair cover which just falls down every single time there is a mutawa in sight.

Other than that, I advise expats to observe the locals and how they do stuff. See the men giving way for women in queues? It's their culture here. Don't be pissed if the clerks let the women cut you in line. Don't be mad, you guys can drive while we couldn't. Going back, as expats it is our duty to study the culture of the country which has graciously allowed us to stay and be mindful that it is followed or at the very least, respected.

lots of good observations...especially sons taking care of moms.

Although I don't like the men giving way for women, you don't see that happening in rest of the world, a woman lines up she has to line up.  I can understand a place which doesn't cater specifically for women, but nowadays there are banks, restaurants, etc that has dedicated line or area for women to be served.

People take advantage of that and send their wives in to do their job while they be chilling in the car like a villain

OMG! they do that! My dad makes me go to STC, to money remittance centers, take out counters, and he would just be chilling like a boss in the car. 😂😂

and hey, you dont see women not allowed to drive in other parts of the world either. 😁

Yes of course it took me about one second to work it out.
I also suspect that modern hygiene research and standards on disease transmission and food poisoning in mass gatherings is having an effect on what you called "medieval" practices.

I am muhammad shahid I am living in saudia last 23 year this is my 2nd hoom. The saudia is the best Muslim cuntaery.  Saudi people very coprativ help full. My experience in saudia is very nice we are very happy with islamic cultures.  Islamic law. Peace full . God bless saudia . We are very happy .

iaminriyadh wrote:

OMG! they do that! My dad makes me go to STC, to money remittance centers, take out counters, and he would just be chilling like a boss in the car. 😂😂

and hey, you dont see women not allowed to drive in other parts of the world either. 😁

yes...even you're victim of that.

oh shush...u don't wanna get into that...just imagine the consequences. If we're having a hard time with the male population and children driving, what would women do.

Yes Muhammad Shahid Inam... I know! I am so impressed everyday how Saudis go out of their way to make sure every expat indiscriminately of ethnical background go ahead of them while driving in traffic! I feel as fuzzy as a teddy bear at Christmas time!
I know exactly the feeling you are talking about!

hahahah sucka!!  on the other hand, thank you saudi for the women areas, loooove them -   لو سمحت --Lauu sama7t is my weapon and brother, please is my shield

my biggest culture shock, if you can call it that; has something to do with these "fall in line" (as the sign at work reads)   procedures or lack thereof. saudis and their "Mohammed, MOhammed, mohammed" till they get answered. ANNOYING.  or when they push upon you like they MUST breathe down your throat and like there is no other space to occupy on planet earth except the one right in my personal space - no patience for that

hamudi wrote:

lots of good observations...especially sons taking care of moms.

Although I don't like the men giving way for women, you don't see that happening in rest of the world, a woman lines up she has to line up.  I can understand a place which doesn't cater specifically for women, but nowadays there are banks, restaurants, etc that has dedicated line or area for women to be served.

People take advantage of that and send their wives in to do their job while they be chilling in the car like a villain

One of the biggest shocks I got was seeing ladies only entrances and sections of banks. I mean I don't know if I had been going to the wrong banks before, well anyway I was cultured shocked. So I sneaked a photo of a sign and posted it online, and an Aussie girl I know just posted ' Oh, what a great idea, you might be able to get your nails done while you're there'

Our boss had just had a long awaited baby of many years.
As workmates we were happy to share joyful moments we therefore bought gifts for baby and family
We asked for visiting date and he became cold.
Lesson.
No visiting except close family members
Men and women aught to visit separately no mixing gender
You can't visit your brother house except with  prior appointment
Same family men and women have separate gates door's no chance of meeting visitors Easpecially opposite sex
Family keep to themselves it's very uncommon to find kids playing with neighbours children
Eliud.

I work 20 years in the Kingdom i appreciate how their culture and the laws...and i observed if this law will implemented in my home country may be no criminals and druglords.So, i conclude myself that during my 20 years services in this country i never commit any sigle violation because i know the laws and the culture of Arabs and their religion too.

Hi All
I had more than 10 years experience living in middle-east especially in Kingdom of saudi Arabia.
Fortunately I did not have such a bad culture shock reason being I am a Moslem myself but I did have a difficulty to understand the Arabs attitude due to their length of time to complete a job and their attitude towards us expat..they expect more from us.Some also will look down on expats.
so my advice is to stay calm and have more patience ...while you are there.

Living in Saudi Arabia and especially in Ryiadh can be challenging for any Westerner. It is especially difficult for women. As a man it was much easier for me. The first thing is to learn as much as you can about the culture and the religion before going. Secondly, follow the customs of the country as well as you can. Respect the differences even as you disagree with them. Don't try to impose your values on people there, especially students. Engage with Saudis as much as possible and feasible. Don't just stick with other westerners. Don't live in a western compound, instead rent an apartment and live like as Saudi as much as possible. At the same time you can try to push things a little. For example, I was responsible for a study of teachers and I decided to include female as well as male teachers even though I could not communicate in person with the women. When it came time to present the report I had the hotel arrange for both men and women to be seated in the same room (This took special permission.) In sum, be who you are, but respect their culture and values.

Martincloud9 wrote:

I arrived in Riyadh in the middle of a very hot August Ramadan in 2012. Before company orientation I hadn't realised that fasting included no water. I had walked for several kilometres, freely swigging from my water bottle, until a Filipino in a van pulled up, offered me a lift, and kindly pointed out that I could face jail/deportation for breaking Ramadan rules.

You took a lift on a stranger's van in a strange city???

I love Philippinos! Great people! And yes... He pointed out something real! You could get into a lot of trouble for breaking Ramadan rules. All eateries are closed during Ramadan until after the prayer they are supposed to eat!

the idea of 'hitchhiking' is only strange in the western world.. here it is common- while i'd never get into an unmarked car alone, i'd ride with someone else in the car with me. What is the difference with marked cars( taxis) anyway, they're all strangers

There are so many Cases happens here if you hire a unmarked Taxi, like looting your valuables like mobile phone, money and iqama.

Closed