San Luis Potosí.....tips/advice

Shall be moving to San Luis Potosí for six months or so,I have booked a place to stay for two weeks during which time i will need to find a place to rent for the duration.I am not familiar with the town at all so any tips or advice would be greatfully appreciated.

I live in San Luis Potosí, I can tell you is a very nice and peaceful place to live at, as every single place in the world it has some areas that you better try not to ride through in certain moments.  It is important where you will be working, to select the place that is more suitable for you. The industrial area is the south east area of the city and the newest area is on the north south west part of the city.If you need any real estate advice I can help.

Thanks for the reply.the industrial area sounds like a good fit for me,I would imagine the rent would be cheaper there than a new or historic area.I wont be working while im there,basically im just looking for a cheap ($2000-$3000 room to rent for six months.I will have two weeks to walk around and find a place.Thanks again for the reply.

My friend the best for you is to rent a furnished apartment, with 1500 USD a month you can live in the best part of the city, there are nice areas where you will have transportation and services all around, last year I rented an apartment for my boss in a premium area and the cost was 17000 pesos or 1100 USD.

I have a friend that has a company dedicated to sell / rent house and apartments in the city, I will be happy to help you, when I moved from Mexico to Los Angeles was hard because I didn't know anything about renting a house or getting a car.

Let me know what you want and I may be able to give you an advice.

In my experience the best deals aré to be found just walking in a particular area that suits untill you find a room to rent.Im fairly experienced in this matter so it does not phase me in the slightest.Your talking $1100-1500 US,Im talking $200 US so we dont seem to be on the same page at all,Im presuming you read my previous post.What would be helpful is if you could give me the name of this "premium area"as i could avoid it on my travels.Thanks for your reply.

I agree Stinkyboy.  It seems the majority of expats on these boards/forums are those in the 5-10% who have hefty retirement funds, etc. and to them $1,000/month is cheap whereas people like myself and a few others would never pay anywhere near that for a rental in Mexico.  Hopefully as more baby boomers in my age range 63 or less start moving to Mexico we'll see more posts for more reasonably priced recommendations.  It's the same problem here in Baja esp. in the areas oversaturated with gringos.

That is spot on Maryellen,there are only a handfull of people on this forum that I pay atention to anyway.

Hopefully you have found a home in SLP and are all settled in.  SLP is a beautiful city.  Centro is
always busy and full of people.  We love living in this part of town.  Perhaps we can get together sometime.