Top 10 Expat Websites?

Greetings -

I realize this is a rather subjective question but besides https://www.expat.com are there other "expat" or travel related sites that you utilize for (quality) information...?

I will start with the obvious - http://www.google.com and then depending on search results I extend out from there depending on if I am visiting a place long-term, purchasing property, or moving for good. But, after the google search what sites do you feel offer constructive and unbiased information?

Best,
Mark

It depends on which country I am researching and how ŽexoticŽ it is.  I usually start with the following, as well as google.
www.expatfocus.comwww.talesmag.com
and sometimes, Lonely PlanetŽs forum, The Thorntree.

This is good one for women moving abroad, particularly "trailing spouses." A ton of articles, country tips, mentors, a forum, blogs, business ideas,  etc...

http://www.expatwomen.com/

I heard about another promising project:  interexpat.com

interexpat.com is an interesting site! an upcoming one :one

New website has just launched for expats in France and soon in Spain as well box424.com.
It made by some of the same team that founded the popular Expatsradio.com.

Box424.com gives free information and entertainment in radio/audio form. They have a huge range of subjects from legal and financial advice to cookery, gardening and music.

Some programming is downloadable and all of it is free.

They also offer five free listings to each registered member....oh membership is free as well of course.

Have a look

Box424.com

It depends on which country pls try

transitionsabroad.com

also use google...

i found a website that is quite good and called: Expatriates.com, ut for some reason etisalat has banned certain functionalities and rendered the website unusable.

The best expat site is right here, for sure. But also you can check out The Expat Directory,and Internations, a worldwide expat face to face meeting group with events at bars, and such activities as cookouts. They probably have a chapter near you!

I agree expat-blog is the best :P

Sometimes you just need to check out other sites, I like this one:

http://www.expatforum.com/

enjoy!

aykalam

In Spain there is Expat Financial Advice Blog It is designed to keep expats up to date with matters affecting their finances

I like virtualtourist.com  You can find out a lot about a place you want to move to or visit.

I love the links people are posting, so much great info.

I have been a long time reader of Expat-Blog.com and would say it has certainly been useful during my travels - thank you Julien and the team!

Whilst living in Singapore SingaporeExpats.com was one of my most popular sites particularly the property pictures section.

Most recently ExpatCareers.com was also bumped to the top of my list due to finding my current job through the site.

Several I know are: InterNations.org ; SurviveFrance.com

i am a regular reader of expat-blog, there are so many other like expatexchage.net, boomersabroad.com, but i find it more attrative, although the others have better features an more funtionalities, but i think in order to keep those functionalities working and to not exposing directly the expats, they have to take so many precautions which make these sites not friendly or usable in some way to a new or a common user!

As an earlier poster said, it depends on what country you're in. I soend a lot of time in Laos and there's absolutely nothing out there for that country, but there is a site with quite a few Laos based expats hanging around at orientexpat.com/laos/

expatriatetaxreturns.com

Expat.com is my favorite general interest expat site.

For International Business,asset protection, and living an international life, I use..

internationalman.com

Great forum and membership. ;)

Tax returns?  That reminds me.  I think I'm supposed to file in the US even though I don't live there.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Tax returns?  That reminds me.  I think I'm supposed to file in the US even though I don't live there.

As long as you are an American Citizen, you will be filing a tax return for the United States. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask :)

The IRS website is unusually informative.  They have several pages devoted to expats.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

The IRS website is unusually informative.  They have several pages devoted to expats.

Yes the IRS has great information for Expat on their website! Great place to look!

I would suggest my site golivingin.com.

British Expats dot com is a very active site for Brits abroad, as you would expect. A lot of the threads are trivial, and many of the posts are childish; but the site has a few good ones too.

bcaudill wrote:

I would suggest my site golivingin.com.

But some of your links don't connect: also, I couldn't figure out how to post a comment.
One of your recommended sites, internations.com, is a lily-pad for pro-NATO contributors. I'm still a member, but got sick of feeding the trolls in the Politics & Society section. Its Expats section is neutral, but it isn't used much.

www.expatexchange.com has two lively forums for Ecuador posts.

I don't usually visit the forums for the zillions of other countries with forums at the site.

cccmedia in Ecuador

You can also try internations. it can help you locate other nationals and epats.

Gordon Barlow wrote:

British Expats dot com is a very active site for Brits abroad, as you would expect. A lot of the threads are trivial, and many of the posts are childish; but the site has a few good ones too.

Actually I use to go on britishexpats.com quite a lot but many members have left now. There seem to be too many childish and insulting posts and the moderators make little effort to weed them out. It's a shame because when Sue ran the site it was really excellent.

This site isn't really strictly for expats, but one internet-contact pen-pal site is worth a look:

https://www.interpals.net/

The forum section is a bit limited, but then it's normal for forum sections in lots of places to evolve to quiet down.  Facebook tends to suck the air out of the room related to expat group discussion.  I guess that adds another good entry:  there are at least a dozen Bangkok or Thailand expat themed Facebook groups, and groups related to lots of subjects and places.

PilkiKarl wrote:
Gordon Barlow wrote:

Actually I use to go on britishexpats.com quite a lot but many members have left now. There seem to be too many childish and insulting posts and the moderators make little effort to weed them out. It's a shame because when Sue ran the site it was really excellent.

It's still drifting downhill, mainly because the moderators tolerate too much bitchiness - and aren't above contributing some of it themselves! Also, US politics has pretty much taken over the whole site now. Still, one can opt out of reading the most idiotic posters, and also out of receiving email notifications on specified threads. Some of the lightweight chats are okay, though. It's certainly worth a look.

It's funny how in different types of expat groups or forums an origin-specific context arises, even when it's not explicit, as in that case.  I'm not sure what the reason is but of all the types of groups related to Thailand and origin-countries of expats British members seem the most active.  I suppose it could be that they group more into British-member-centered forums and stand out in the rest instead.

bkk tea blog wrote:

It's funny how in different types of expat groups or forums an origin-specific context arises, even when it's not explicit, as in that case.  I'm not sure what the reason is but of all the types of groups related to Thailand and origin-countries of expats British members seem the most active.  I suppose it could be that they group more into British-member-centered forums and stand out in the rest instead.

I just read this post five times and can't make out what Tea Blog's point is.

Anybody care to clarify in plain language?

cccmedia

cccmedia wrote:
bkk tea blog wrote:

I just read this post five times and can't make out what Tea Blog's point is.

Anybody care to clarify in plain language?

cccmedia

To answer your query.

Stating how expats from from a specific country, in this case, from UK, are the most active in Thailand. These people tend to group together in UK type forums and so stand out from others.

" The easiest way to find countrymen abroad - La manera mas fácil para encontrar otros compatriotas -
Le meilleur moyen de trouver des compatriotes à l'étranger - Die einfachste Art um Landsleute im Ausland zu finden -
Самый простой способ найти соотечественников за рубежом - De gemakkelijkste manier om landgenoten in het buitenland te vinden - 用最容易的方法在外國找到自已的同胞 - أسهل الطرق لمعرفة اماكن تواجد الموطنين المقيمين حول العالم "
www.expatmapper.com/

Such great info!!  Thank you everyone!!

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR