Honest Opinion

My wife and I are presently living in Paphos, Cyprus. I first moved here in 2007, and it was a great place to live. We left in 2009 and moved to the Philippine Islands where we lived for the next 5 years. We returned to Cyprus in 2013 and have been disappointed in its decline over the 5 years we have been away. So much so, we are now considering moving to Spain. I have been looking at the region of Alicante as a possible new location. I must admit, I have never been there and my choice of Alicante is based purely on what I have seen on the internet and T.V. We would intend coming over for a 'fact finding' holiday for a couple of weeks, with a view to relocating permanently early next year. I would like to ask for peoples 'honest' opinion of the area, and if they would recommend Alicante or perhaps somewhere else. I am retired, financially secure and not looking for work. We would probably look to rent a house 'long term' for at least the first 2 years, before buying. I am particularly interested in somewhere with a 'bit of life' I am 52 and not yet quite ready for the 'pipe & slippers' . Somewhere within 30 minutes of the sea and town. I prefer this to 'rural tranquility' ! Much appreciated.

Hello,

My husband and I are basically in the same situation as you and your wife- Relatively young and retired.

Have already moved to Spain?

We have chosen Spain, so my husband (British) can learn the language, and also because we thought it wasn't expensive like in the south of France, or California (we also like areas close to the sea), it is convenient to travel to America or Europe, and my husband can practice golf easily.

We will start renting a house for a couple of months in the Calpe-Altea area, and from there see which coastal area we like better. Hopefully next month we will start the adventure!

Please let us know your findings! :)

Good luck in your moving.

Claus