Best place to live in Spain for Expats?

I would like to know where the best place to live in Spain is for someone who wants good value for money re property and to be near ex pats and where it is lively and fun to be in your early 50's.  Maybe that's a big ask!

if you  want tio live near ex pats why move to spain?

because I like being around people who I have common ground with if it's any of your business and if everyone is like you on this site then I won't be bothering asking for any more advice - thanks for your warm welcome!

MY PLEASURE

Hi Liz,
Sorry you "got off on the wrong foot" with Linedancer.  I don't think he meant any malice and his question is probably a good one to consider before committing to a life in Spain. 

Anyway on to your question...People generally agree there are large communities of English-speaking expats living in Malaga-Marbella area, also Barcelona and Madrid.  The latter two are quite international, that is, you'll also find many expats from all over the world, many whom also speak English. Also Sevilla and the entire coastal area up and down from Alicante. If you inquire with the British Council, they can probably give you statistics on the numbers of British citizens living in various parts of Spain.

As to your question about "good value", I think you'll find surprisingly low prices in most parts of Spain except for Barcelona, Madrid, Bilbao, and Marbella.  Property right on/near the coast always commands a premium price.  I live in downtown Valencia city and find it extremely reasonable, a bit more than half the cost of similar real estate in Madrid (where I previously lived), and Barcelona, both to rent or to buy.  You can actually find average purchase and rental prices broken down by area and barrio in www.idealista.com.  It is updated quarterly and is quite useful.

Good luck,
Jim

hi jim thanks for your comments no no malice was intended just an eye opener for those who in tend to come over to live here with out a thought of intergrating weve lived here for over 28 years , and though we found it difficult at first the spanish people were so helpful and kind we can never repay them now 90% of our friends are spanish ,i never feel like a foreigner,in fact my son has just moved over here too,on occasions when i go to the costas i am amazed at the brits who dont speak any spanish,yet seem to carry on livin g as if in london or manchester with sun.then thgose complain of foreigners not intergrating in the uk.jim i think you know what i am getting at eddie

Talking about integration: i lived in England (South west) and so far after one year and half cannot get integrated into the English community. I do not know what is the matter with English people?? I lived in many different countries and continents yet England is the more difficult one to make English friends !!! They are all very "polite" yet no straight forward talk, keep to themselves,very self conscious, but it all does not seem "real".
So i will be removing myself from this country in search of a more friendly easy going community who thinks the more the merrier.

We are also very interested in buying a place in Spain, also in our early 50's. We visit often Costa Brave, and love it. Its only about 6 hours from where we live near Cannes. Prices though are not as cheap as further South.
Next Month we are visiting Costa Brava, and Costa Dorado, for 2 weeks 22 September/4 October (driving) and hoping to look at properties.
We would like some expats to be in the area we chose, but not looking for overbuilt , and party animal areas. We don't speak Spanish, only French and English, but would hope to learn a bit, as I would love to speak to the locals, but would be nice to have English cinemas, and the like.
Would be grateful for any advice. Having 4 daughters, it would be logical not to be to far South, as not many cheap flights from Nice, excepting Barcelona. Would be interested in meeting up for apero, with anybody in the areas we will be (Blanes, Salou, Platjo d'aro
Thanks

i would like some advise as how is to live in Mallorca? and which area is best? East coasts or south East of Palma?
Is there regular flight service the whole year round? is that much more expensive to live in the islands as i assume there is no competition on services as it would on the mainland?
We are planning to live summer in England and winter in Spain.
Any other suggestions welcome. Maybe better to live on the continent? and if so where about? we need;
good health service, safety, friendly community We have no kids and are free to go anywhere.
Thank you

I believe your name is in esense Guarani and i am surprised to see it on the internet.
I lived in south Africa and now i am in Europe also trying to decide where to relocate in Spain .
So please when you find out about Mallorca or any other possible good places in the mainland kindly let me know.
My son is going to Mallorca next month for few days to have a second look.
I was told that being Mallorca an island there might not be regular flights service in winter and life is more expensive due to the fact that there is not much competition for the services.
I have never been in Spain but i am well aware that latin countries have a lot of red tape and things do not work as well as in the European countries.

Maybe its to get away from the ghettos in the UK?

Javea, Alicante

Valencia
Good value for your money
has the beach and mountains for walking/bike riding
airport for flights to many destinations
great tapas and some vineyards not too far away
small villages to live just outside the city
great restaurants
fast train to Madrid (1 1/2 hours )

Liz,  I would suggest Nerja.  You will get a mix of expats and locals.  It is on the sea and only 30 min from Malaga, with even more expats and US/UK comforts.  It is far more affordable than the rest of Costa del Sol, especially if you are inland slightly in the campo (country).   Southern Spain has been very affordable for us, but we are just a bit further east, as we prefer a more local experience, but we do visit Nerja when we need the international food fix.