Ebay products shipped to the Dominican Republic

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question; If I order a product on Ebay from the U.S.,  I presume I would need to pay import taxes when I receive the product in the Dominican Republic? If so, are these taxes high or low. For example, in Vietnam they exorbitantly high. On the same subject, how well does the postal service work in DR? I'm in La Esperilla.

Just one additional question; can I open a non resident bank account before I get my cedula?

Thanks in advance,
Jose

Bank - yes with a passport, letter from your current bank and sometimes referral from someone at the bank.

EBay - once here open an account with a mail handler in Miami. Then ship eBay items to that address.  Anything under US 200 comes in tax and duty free.  Remember you pay by the pound fro. MIami to here.  Many of us recommend CPS.

I buy a lot off EBay!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Can't I just have it sent here directly without a handler in Miami?

Mail service here is a Shakesperian  (sp) farce without the humor.  Read the threads & follow the advice & you shall receive your manna from heaven, REALLY!

You can ship direct via UPS but you will pay even more than at CPS and you will still get hit with taxes on anything over $200.  The tax rate is 28% min (could be higher depending on the items).

As to mail.....forget it!

Bob K

Mail service really doesn't exist. Always use a mail handler or a courier.  Couriers cost wayyyyyy more.

Planner don't say it does not exist I received a Christmas card in May that was mailed in November the year before :D

Bob K

I stand corrected ahahahahahahaahaha  :proud

Even if there was a postal service, it wouldn't help anyway. There are no numbers on buildings so how would they know where to deliver? :) My building is new and no number on it.

I got one better - my street has NO name!!!

If you have the courage to send a package to Sosua/Cabarete via standard mail, you can collect it at the Sosua post office. The postal service will not tell you when it has arrived. You just have to go frequently. Whether it be package or envelope, you will be pointed to a pile for you to search. They will also ask that if you see a familiar name or condo to take that with you.

You want to avoid the ludicrous shipping fees of FedEx, UPS and DHL. To do so, when you get here, open an account at EPS, CPS or EncargoPac. You will be given a number code to use on your address at eBay and PayPal. These companies have offices in Miami (and Your-ami, too) from which your mail or packages are shipped down here. Rates range from $3.50 to $2.75 a pound, depending on the weight.

As soon as your tracking number indicates delivery, email a copy of the invoice to the service you have chosen. This they show to customs. Be aware, that for the most part, your packages will be opened for inspection.   

With any of the services, delays and packages missing-in-action, but found, will occur. The worst delay I have had has been 30 days from the time it arrived in Miami.

Well written post!!!

Wow, another one of those things you just take for granted.

Beachbum good post.  Lots of good, useful  and accurate info.

Bob K

Is the duty and on the whole amount is just on the amount over 200 usd

The entire order amount! Duty and sales tax my friend!

BeachBum
I found that by going to the Post Office and introducing myself....I became a 'known commodity'
Tell them where you live--- they deliver (w/o a proper address)

Both my friend and I rec'd our Gov't pensions..
Mine was slower before I introduced myself.

Him?
He's famous....sort of...
his mail arrived at his hidden gate !!
until then - he thought nobody knew where he lived !!
hahahaha... joke's on him

This applies to Cabrera

A big Burg like Cabarete/Sosua might not be so service oriented

And absolutely NOTHING in the big city.....LOL

It is good to know that if you go over $200 you pay on the entire amount. I assumed (and you know what happens then) that you only paid on the portion over $200.

For more clarity, I know that it is based on invoice, including shipping. If shipping from the states is free, is the shipping amount that CPS charges added on before determining value? Or is it just purchase invoice?

No the cps charges are made here after clearing Customs so it's the "landed " cost to Miami. 

And it's duty and 18% sales tax from dollar 1.

When you go over $200 US what kicks in?

I just answered that. Duty - the rate depends what you buy, and 18% sales tax.

I misread your answer. I thought you were saying that taxes and duty had been changed to start at dollar one instead of $200+. 👍

Got ya. Nope starts at dollar 1 after you go over US 200.  All good chica.