Claro internet / TV

Hi everyone, we just moved to Dorado.  Apparently in our neighborhood Claro is the only internet provider.  Anyone here have much experience with them?  Any recommendations?  We are looking at going with them for internet and television service.

Thanks!

I have claro . No choice. They have me by the short hairs unless I go very expensive data from ATT or T-Mobile.
In the past 6 months it went out a couple times for 2-3 days each. Its fast enough to stream a movie, but it is DSL, so probably not as fast as the broadband you are used to on the mainland. Just my opinion :)

We have installed claro in our house in Sabana Grande. My sister have claro in Guayanilla and she use it daily and we communicate via the internet without any issues so far. I will be in the island in September and will be using it for work while we are there.

I live in Dorado and we have Liberty Cablevision...internet 20 mg and cable with no contract and no complaints. We had Claro for a year and it was terrible...couldn't wait to get rid of it...the internet was very slow in this area and Customer Service is not so good either. The Liberty store is inside the Vega Alta Mall for the Dorado Area.

I try with Liberty but they don't have service in our area.  :(

If I may ask, what quote were you given for the no contract terms? I was told they wanted $150 for installation, plus a deposit. That amount would go up or down depending on who I talked to. We ended up getting the contract because we felt like everything might change again when the install guy came, at least the contract terms are laid out on their website.

Adlin...Yes I understand some parts of the Island can't get cable....Liberty or Choice. When we had Claro we were only receiving 2mg even though we were paying for more they said it was the area and there was nothing they could do.

Karen...We got Liberty in February...we just called and set up our no contract service over the phone. Then they came out and we didn't pay any installation fee or deposit. We pay around $65.00 per month for 20 mg internet and telephone and basic cable. We don't really care about the cable since we only really watch Netflix etc. anyway.

Dora787 wrote:

Karen...We got Liberty in February...we just called and set up our no contract service over the phone. Then they came out and we didn't pay any installation fee or deposit. We pay around $65.00 per month for 20 mg internet and telephone and basic cable. We don't really care about the cable since we only really watch Netflix etc. anyway.

So you got the same deal as a contract, hmm. Ok, thanks.

Dora787 wrote:

Adlin...Yes I understand some parts of the Island can't get cable....Liberty or Choice. When we had Claro we were only receiving 2mg even though we were paying for more they said it was the area and there was nothing they could do.

Yes, we try with the cable company but after 3 tries and lots of run around, they came back and told us their main box was too far from our house and they did not guaranty the internet signal will work correctly. So we decided to go with claro, They only have 2 mg on my area, the tech lives a few houses up from ours and told us not to pay for more than since until they upgrade their system that the best we will get. He did mentioned we should get an upgrade on the main box soon and we be able to get up to 4mg. We will see....

Hi there, we live in Quebradills and have Clark for phone and internet.It seems to be the only provider where we live in "el campo" - country up on a hill. We were told by Choice that they couldn't come past 250 ft. From the corner where the main box is.

We researched it quite a bit before finally going with Claro. The service is OK once a tech  came out and repaired some wire. When they initially came out to install they said that it had to be up where the box was in our bedroom and since I didn't know any better( my hubby is a telephone tech but was in NY) at the time so I said OK.
When became home, he changed it but it still was not good. By the way, they did not charge anything on install.Eventually it was fixed and has been good until Sundaywhen we had a big storm with rain, lightning and thunder. Our box (whatever it's called) blew and so we have been waiting for a tech to come. Nothing yet and my hubby called andcwssbtold they are out today to come but nothing yet.
Our bill averages about $62-65 per month for phone and internet which isn't bad.

Well good luck.

Tonie

Tonie, what speed are you getting when the box is not blown?
Are you able to stream from Netflix or Amazon with out the video stopping every so often or breaking up?
Surge protectors are your friend they are models also that can protect phone lines.

Rey, I 'm not sure what speed, I am technically challenged
I leave everything like that to my Ray. We do have surge protectors on stuff but Ray said that the modem was what blew.

Anyway he called at 12 today and they said someone was coming out and now it is 527pm and no tech but maybe tomorrow.We don't get on Netflix or Amazon.

tonie064 wrote:

Rey, I 'm not sure what speed, I am technically challenged
I leave everything like that to my Ray. We do have surge protectors on stuff but Ray said that the modem was what blew.

Anyway he called at 12 today and they said someone was coming out and now it is 527pm and no tech but maybe tomorrow.We don't get on Netflix or Amazon.

Island time, they will be there by Saturday at the latest, but not sure which Saturday.

When 5 pm came yesterday and no tech, Ray said he:d call this am. He did and was told that the tech was dispatched this am. He finally called at about 2pm for directions and he came and the modem was blown. He replaced it andvwss gone in 15 mins. All is well now with our internet.

At least we didn't lose much. My neighbor lost his t.v. and. modem since he did not unplug the stuff. I am very thankful that we didn't lose the t.v. I would not be very happy.

tonie064 wrote:

When 5 pm came yesterday and no tech, Ray said he:d call this am. He did and was told that the tech was dispatched this am. He finally called at about 2pm for directions and he came and the modem was blown. He replaced it andvwss gone in 15 mins. All is well now with our internet.

At least we didn't lose much. My neighbor lost his t.v. and. modem since he did not unplug the stuff. I am very thankful that we didn't lose the t.v. I would not be very happy.

To find your internet speed in real time go to this web site and run the test. http://www.speedtest.net

I just ran it from MA and I get a ping of 27, a download speed of 79.57 megabits, and an upload of 84.88 Megabits
I have FIOS in MA.