Professions in Panama Which Foreigners Can't Work As

I posted this information on Moving to Panama, but this is more relevant to Visas than in that topic area.

Both the Friendly Nations Visa and Foreign Professional Visa allow foreigners to work for a Panama company in a "professional" capacity.

Recently, immigration officials put together a list of professions “reserved” for Panamanians which foreigners cannot be employed as.  Here is a translation of that list:

Accountant, agricultural science, architect, attorney, barber, chemist, chiropractor, cosmetologist, dentist, dental assistant, doctor (medicine, veterinarian), economist, engineer, journalist, laboratory, medical assistants, nursing, nutritionist, pharmacist, physical therapist, psychology, public relations, radiologist, social worker, sociologist, speech therapist, and teacher (under Ministry of Education for public schools)

There are several requirements in order to qualify for the Foreign Professional Visa including having a foreign university's diploma approved by the University of Panama or a Panama Technical University. 

Applying for an immigration visa requires hiring a Panama immigration lawyer.

Steven Rich in Panama

Hello Steven, yes yon need a lawyer for gueting a Professional Foreigners Visa.
the Requirement are:
1. Power of Attorney at law trough a lawyer;
2.Certification of Migration Office in Panama;
3.Autentication  by Notary of a copy  of the permanent permission;
4.Copy of the Title with  Apostille;
5. 4 Photos PASPORT SIZE.

Kind Regards,

Sayonara

I have a question. Once I receive my visa and become a resident, will I still be considered a foreigner?

When you receive your temporary resident card and even your permanent resident card, it will indicate that you are a foreigner.  You will always be a foreigner until you become a citizen.  Until then you have to keep your original country passport.

On a practical matter, when you speak to Panamanians they will know that you are a foreigner because of your accent, mannerism, and Panamanians have their own way of speaking Spanish which people from other Spanish speaking countries realize. 

Steven Rich in Panama

Yes, you will be a permanent resident with a permission for work. Unless you decide to become a Panamanian, resigning to your own nationality. Regards.

Excellent response. My thoughts were along that line but thought the chances of obtain work if I wanted too would be a clearer path after becoming a resident. I have a great support group here (of Panamanians) that help me and my spouse. One of my co workers in the US is from Panama and wants to form a business here. This is a future endeavor. We are living in the Cocle Providence.

Thanks for responding so quickly and providing me with "food for thought". Have a wonderful evening.

Dear Mzpurple,

Not every visa gives you the right to a Work Permit in Panama.  The Friendly Nations Visa does, as well as, the Foreign Professioal Visa, but the Pensionado Visa doesn't.  Panama has around 25 immigration visas with many not offering a work permit.

Steven Rich in Panama

You are providing me with a lot of things to think about? Do you have your visa? If so, what does the medical exam consists of? If I am coming in under my husband's pension-ado, I still can't work here or open a business?

Pensionados (Retirees) and their dependents are supposed to be retired and not working. That is why they can't get a work permit in Panama.

You can run an internet business selling products or services to non-Panamanians which does not require a work permit or a business (commercial) license.

Steven Rich in Panama

Great. Thanks for the conversation.

Dear Sayonarabezemer,

Not all permanent residents have the right to a work permit.  It depends on the type of Visa you have,

Steven Rich in Panama

Of course, yourself wrote a list of the profession that ar not allow. And the rest that can get permission. So is confuse that you write to me telling me that. It was nice to meeting you. Bye.