IKEA type furniture stores in Ho Chi Minh

Hi All,
i am in need to buy some wooden furniture. i checked in internet and found that IKEA will open store in HCMC in 2015. so, presently, is there any IKEA-type furniture store here? i want to get good quality wood. i have seen some furniture stores in my neighborhood, but they are all old fashioned. please suggest...
thanks.

Index Living Mall, a Thai furniture store is opening in D4, Hoang Dieu in 2 weeks. They are using similar business model as IKEA.

You can read about them here.

indexlivingmall.vn

Thanks a lot man... appreciate this help :)

even the colour is similar like Ikea.. ha ha..

Hi is this mall opened yet?  I am also looking to furnish my place, but more with modern pieces.

I been to a place called Rosano (spell?) in D1, which is near to Apocalypse Now, but the quality is very poor.

Any more recommendations like this index living mall would be great... :)

I found some more good furniture shop, based on western (italian, europe style, ...)

anyarena.com/en/cityguide/shop/kartell

anyarena.com/en/cityguide/shop/gaya

anyarena.com/en/cityguide/shop/pepper-design

anyarena.com/en/cityguide/shop/remix-deco

anyarena.com/en/cityguide/shop/mantra

anyarena.com/en/cityguide/shop/mh-craft

Wow these looks good!  But seemed expensive - designer stuff?  Will visit them to see if I can find any good pieces, will report back here on my findings!  ;)

vicci0606 wrote:

... and found that IKEA will open store in HCMC in 2015. so, presently, is there any IKEA-type furniture store here? i want to get good quality wood....
thanks.

The IKEA outlets in this part of the world are actually franchises owned by the same Malaysian company that owns the Giants supermarket tat has just opened.

Most Vietnamese furniture seems to be designed for people with short legs and the more classical furniture designed for short fat people with rear ends that can sit for hours on wood.

The reason that hard wood, composite 'wood' and steel are so popular is because the local bugs hereabouts have a voracious appetite for softer wood.

I frequently have my utility furniture custom made from stainless steel (Inox). For example, a work table 5 feet by 3 feet with removable legs and a top frame with inset of 1 cm thick composite cost me VND260,000.

I often rummage around Ikea web sites for ideas them have the local, very skilled, craftsmen replicate them in stainless.

FYI, Giants is not Malaysian owned but Hong Kong, Diary Farm group of company.

thanks susan,
i just checked the uma website. it certainly looks better than the indexmall (look-wise as well as price-wise). i will surely visit this weekend.

@Jaitch... i loved your idea of custom-made furniture. i need to find an expert in the neighborhood. i did buy some furniture in the last couple of months from local shops, but i am not very satisfied.

Hi, I have not found IKea in HCMC yet. I suggest you may like to visit this http://www.phoxinh.com.vn/2010/en/ , not bad as well :)

hey guys, i was told that this place sells ikea furniture that is manufactured in vietnam - http://www.megahome.vn/
I'm planning on heading there today as I am just furnishing my place too :)

You can check this out.They have some IKEA products too. UMA. http://www.uma.vn

dopey wrote:

FYI, Giants is not Malaysian owned but Hong Kong, Diary Farm group of company.

The Manager told me the penultimate owner is Malaysian money, I, too, thought it was HKG-based.

Guess he knows where his paycheck comes from.

Check: < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Hypermarket >

Well, I am living in Malaysia now, the Ikea stuff here is quite cheap, If i'm not mistaken, it's exactly the same in Europe, hope that there would be one in Vietnam soon, checked the other sites and well, they are a bit too expensive compared to IKEA stuff... I am building my house this year end or next year, is there any IKEA alike company who give details on grand ideas of decorating your house in a complete catalogue... It's such a nuisance searching for random stuff from various places and go back empty handed without being able to buy anything that looks rite...

The proposed IKEA-VietNam will be a franchise outlet, not IKEA company owned.

Now what we need is a Home Depot and/or a Canadian Tire and the place will be a quantum leap forward.

You realise IKEA gets their furniture from Vietnam lol

sghsaigon wrote:

You realise IKEA gets their furniture from Vietnam lol

And you can buy it directly from the manufacturer? NOT if IKEA finds out ... end of contract.

In 1996 IKEA opened:

Ikea Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
Floor 4, Broadway D Office Park
152 Nguyen Luong Bang Street, Tan Phu Ward
Quan 7, Ho Chi Minh City
Tel: (84-8) 4135888
Web: http://www.ikea.com

VietNam it's biggest Asian supply centre after China and India: Rapexco (6,000 employees+) in Nha Trang makes large orders for IKEA; Saiga Pottery Handicraft in TP HCM; Binh Thanh Textile Factory (HCM), churns out padded compact-disc cases; Artex Tien Dong (HCM) (bamboo products)

IKEA will even finance raw materials of up to a limit 50% of finished product prices. They are also showing VN manufacturers modern manufacturing techniques and purchasing techniques to reduce costs and improve raw material quality.

Problems include dealing with government controlled timber plantations and the excessive port/shipping charges incurred in using VN transportation.

A friend of mine in Cho Lon got a contract producing stainless steel buts and pieces. He found out what happened to them and where they went, now he not only fabricates the basic parts, but he also has an IKEA contract to assemble the semi-finished product. Mind you he lost a friend/customer but he has made a fortune.

u can visit LOCK&LOCK or UMA AT D.7.
LOCK&LOCK ALSO OPENED ITS BIGGEST SHOP AT D.1 VINCOM2

ITS REALLY GREAT AND BIG.

@sunghoonpaik - Can you please lower caps lock when writing? ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hey Vic. I was just wondering where do you go to see the information about Ikea will open a store in HCMC. Can you post me the link of it? Thanks.

blakrsx wrote:

Hey Vic. I was just wondering where do you go to see the information about Ikea will open a store in HCMC. Can you post me the link of it? Thanks.

The store will be a franchise operated by a HongKong outfit that has already invested in VN. It is scheduled to open in 2015.

Ikea, the real company, already has a purchasing office here in TP HCM.

oh ok. do you have the purchasing office website or information?

Any recommendations on office furnture? Conference/Boardroom table, desks, chairs, etc.

Dear all,

Why don't you drop by www.resourcedecor.com, kind of retail webpage of www.rochdalespears.com, you can find furniture in good quality and particular design. Factory and showroom both are in Binh Duong. One of suppliers of Austin Interior Design in District 2.

Enjoy shopping nice furniture.

Cheers,

Nga

Nga, you should look at the top of the post and check the dates,you replied to a post from 2.5 years ago.

colinoscapee wrote:

Nga, you should look at the top of the post and check the dates,you replied to a post from 2.5 years ago.

They're probably still trying to figure it out how it goes together still.

Sorry, my mistake...

I can vouch that UMA (http://uma.vn/default/?___from_store=vn) has some reasonably-priced furniture and designs. But there's always someone who knows someone who can make whatever I want as long as I have the design. So this might be another route I'm considering.

If you are interested in furniture made by wood. Try this ATC,
atc-craft.com/

Uma is also a reasonably priced shop that sells home furnishings, chairs, pillows, etc. It is at SaiGon Pearl on the second floor. SaiGon Pearl is a group of 6 tall buildings on Nguyen Huu Canh in Binh Thanh District. 10 minutes from downtown and almost across the street from The Manor

ATC has great service before and after sale. I bought a cushion from them which had a flaw. They replaced it without any hassles.

I find UMA is a little expensive for its quality. Definitely IKEA as I recognise some products are exactly the same. I don't think IKEA is as price competitive as it use to be.

Hi, So far no official Ikea stores have been opened in Vietnam. However you can choose real Ikea furniture (all the available Ikea Thailand items) and have them shipped to Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi. There are many service like this in Vietnam. This one ikeasaigon.com for instance provides good service. It's cheap and fast. They also can speak English quite well.  :top:

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not promote/propose your own services on the forum. Kindly register in the Ho Chi Minh City business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
jingoye wrote:

I can vouch that UMA (http://uma.vn/default/?___from_store=vn) has some reasonably-priced furniture and designs. But there's always someone who knows someone who can make whatever I want as long as I have the design. So this might be another route I'm considering.

I heard a guy who runs several hostel's and thus needs a lot of furniture mention this too. He basically points to something he likes in a picture and because labour is cheap, he can make it, even alter it for cheaper than it originally costs in the western catalogues.

I'd be interesting in knowing of any contacts who can do this for when I furnish my place.

I know a man who makes furniture and has a workshop in Thu Duc district. You can contact him by this number: ***.

Moderated by Chris 7 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details in private
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct