Purchasing Alcohol

We understand that, unlike all other countries in the Middle East where alcohol is legally available, one does not need a liquor licence in Bahrain to buy hooch to take home (off licence sales to us Brits). However do you need any form of documentation, such as a resident permit, or is it completely open and are establishments that sell alcohol to take away wide spread?

In Bahrain, you can buy alcohol in a number of places and you don't need a documentation for it. BMMI, African Eastern an Gulf Brands International all have branches in different locations in Bahrain. What's more, they can deliver whatever you want to your home so you don't have to get to their locations. No extra charge for home delivery. In fact, you get discounts if you order for delivery.

But you must go in person at least once - on a Thursday - just for the experience - its amazing :D

brightonguy wrote:

In Bahrain, you can buy alcohol in a number of places and you don't need a documentation for it. BMMI, African Eastern an Gulf Brands International all have branches in different locations in Bahrain. What's more, they can deliver whatever you want to your home so you don't have to get to their locations. No extra charge for home delivery. In fact, you get discounts if you order for delivery.

WOW!!!!
The service over there is better then where I live!

scottrace wrote:

But you must go in person at least once - on a Thursday - just for the experience - its amazing :D

Please tell and share.

You make me curious :D

brightonguy thank you for the the info., very useful.

I've just come back from GBI (after taking my son to drum lessons nearby) took me over an hour to get there as the traffic was dire!!

If you go in person on a Thu you will see lots of indian's buying 1 can of lager as they have just been paid. Muslims stood outside " can you buy me sum beer m8" cos by law they can't be served.
Reminds me of kids outside the off-licence back home.

Once you go (they are all pretty close together) GBI is my favourite though - you can apply for a discount card.

This gives you 20% discount if you go to the shop in person (not a fun task) or if you order online you get 15% discount without a discount card.

They deliver the same day if you order before 12 noon and the min order for delivery is BD25

All (or most) of my above comments are about GBI as that is the one I use. I've been to the others and found them to be very expensive and their stock range wasn't as good.

So the moral of the story is, buy booze whenever you want (except Fri) but don't expect to be able to take some home - very big limits at the airport.

You can bring in 1ltr spirit and a crate of beer each and that's it.

Hi Jo,

Thanks for the info. Really disappointed to hear about the traffic problems, as here in Doha things are really dire since they embarked on a huge programme of upgrading the roads and only succeeded in creating the world's largest parking lot, so we were looking forward to some relief in Bahrain, but it seems not :-(

It's only certain areas at certain times. I just had to hit rush hour on the way there and a bomb on the way back.

Not an every day occurrence.

Not sure what the driving is like in Doha but it's crazy here. You need eyes everywhere!!!

I have had the unfortunate privilege of driving in every country in the Middle East (bar Iran), although Bahrain was quite a few moons ago and can say that Qatar ranks right up there with the absolute worst of the lot, so I don't think Bahrain will be a problem, although I hear what you say regarding eyes in the back of your head!! 😳

I m traveling to bahrain by car frm dammam wher can i buy alcohol?
Coz in hotels n bar its expensive
I m a tourist

Behind Gulf Hotel in Adliya.

isn't there some kind of restriction as to how you can pay for a GBI delivery. I forget whether it's only cash or only by credit card. I think it's the latter, right?

I know BMMI is credit card or cash on delivery. Would assume GBI same though I've never done home delivery with them as I work just behind Gulf Hotel (dangerous) lol so I just pop in after work and grab what I need.

Bahrain is even more liberal than Dubai.

You can buy any amount of alcohol without a license.

I love this country!

scottrace wrote:

To make the experience even better, make it the Thursday before Ramadan starts... although the queue will be well over an hour!