What would be a comfortable salary in Norway for a family of 3?

Hi there,

This is Gaurav from Mumbai, India.

I am planning to move to Norway as a post-doctoral researcher. I will be living in the Horten area and need to support a family of 3 (having a child of 2 years of age). Due to high price levels in Norway and very high rentals, I am kind of confused about taking a final decision.

Can you guys help me with what could be a comfortable salary in Norway to start with (before taxes)?
Also if somebody can give me an idea about rental cost for an apartment around Horten or Asgardstrand area, that will be very helpful.

Thanks,

Gaurav

it depends on what your expectations and needs are. Some things to consider:
-do you need a car?
-do you want to be able to eat out regularly?
-what kind of groceries do you want to be able to buy? Alcohol or not?
-private schooling and healthcare or not?
-what size of apartment?

there are several threads on the cost of living in Norway which should give you some more useful information:
https://www.expat.com/forum/347-22-cost … orway.html

Thanks ECS,

I have seen other threads and as per info provided over there, 400000-600000 NOK before taxes can be just fine depending on the situation. Still there are many factors and it will be really helpful to have suggestions relevant to my case:
1. Will be getting 492000 NOK before taxes
2. Yes, I will need a car (nothing fancy)
3. Having one child of around 2 years of age
4. Generally we will not eat outside, say 2-3 times in a month
5. No schooling or health related issues
6. Groceries: normal stuff, nothing fancy but at the same time would not like to compromise on essential requirements.
7. Apartment size: 70-100 m2, I have seen rates are like 9000-12000 NOK (are they reasonable for an area like out side of Horten and Borre??)
8. Alcohol...not much..can say rare..

so it you guys here can give me some idea if I can comfortably live in Norway in this salary or should I demand for more?

Please do consider tax deductions (I think it will be around 32% after considering the rebate for dependent spouse and child)

Hi Guarav
492 K before tax. hmmm, you can survive with that

of course ,as ECS said it depends on your expectations.

but approx, calculation

10 - 12 K - rent
2k - car (fuel , toll, extra)
6 to 8 k - groceries and normal consumption
other expenses 3k

this will end up with average of 25 K

your net salary will be some how over this value.

challenges:
1- driving license if you need 1, (it costs about 35 K for all classes, if you can drive already may be you end up paying only 25)
2- you can find a lot of varieties for a used car, but remember in addition to fuel and possible maintenance, insurance and annual toll are mandatory it depends on the car model but for a cheap car for example 25 - 30 K you will pay around (7000 NOK per year for both insurance and toll - 2900 Toll and insurance you will start by low discount percentage first year then you will get promoted each year. around 4000 NOK)
3- Norwegian language if needed, I think your university will cover first level, then u have to pay the rest ( you can check this with your uni.)
4- plane tickets if you decide to go for vacation at home or some where else.
5- some activities for your family and children,

what I think , is yes you can live ok , with your income, the start will be surprising abit because for the prices and the cost of some things, and by the way first 2 years you have standard tax deduction 10% up to 40 000 NOK , for the new arrivals to Norway

by time, things will be more smooth

hope other members can also tell you more details and helpful thoughts

best wishes and regards

Ocean127 wrote:

challenges:
1- driving license if you need 1, (it costs about 35 K for all classes, if you can drive already may be you end up paying only 25)

If your license isn't issued by an EEA country or from one of the countries listed on this page about license exchange, you basically have to start from the beginning of the license process. So, it's a cost you'll have to consider if you're planning to drive here. http://www.vegvesen.no/en/Driving+licen … ng+licence

i think you can handle fine...I am a post-graduate in Stavanger and my montly expenses are 11000 kr/month

Hi Klongos !

11000 NK / month ... considering what ? which kind of expenses ?
Isn't it a little bit short ?
as some others contributers already said it ... if ...no car, if ...flat for free, if ...no alcohol at all and if.... being very carefull with any expense ... yes, maybe you can live with this amount.

yeah, 11000 sounds very very low! That's what my housing/internet/electricity costs are every month. Nevermind all the other life necessities.

Hi Gurav, Considering you are coming from Mumbai, India 429000 kr should be fine, cause mumbaikars are good in spending their money wisely. As I am from Mumbai I can understand somewhat what would be your expenditures.
Car will be a must to get around & it would be wise to get a diesel car which would give approx 100/5lt
Rent would be around 6500-7000. check on Finn.no the link is below.
http://www.finn.no/finn/realestate/lett … eaId=20131

Once you are here you can even look at the possibilities of your wife working.

Good Luck

Thanks a lot for all your kind suggestions! I have decided to do away with Car considering the license charges. Based on your suggestions, I think the salary should be just fine. However the rents are horrific in Horten (12 K for a decent apartment).
@Loy...Mumbai is a different thing and here everybody can survive poor, middle class and super-rich.

One more question to the community, any suggestion about clothing and things to pack, going there in December 1st week??

Thanks again!

december will be winter.  I will suggest that you buy all winter basics in Norway and not in India because of the materials.  For winter basics, you need a couple of sets of wool thermals (top & bottom) and a good winter coat.   In norway, you can get cheap ones with decent quality.

You will need a set of good winter gloves or mittens.  I find that when winter drops below -5 deg C, mittens work better than gloves.

If you have a good set of boots, you might not need any wool socks. You might want to bring some slippers to wear at home because if the floors in your home is not heated, your feet can get cold.

it can get fairly icy during winter but you can buy cheap ice grips easily in sport stores in Norway.

Hi Gaurav,

I presume you will have moved to Norway by now.

Could you please mention what your expenses are?

I am in similar situation as you, and contemplating moving to Trondheim with my wife and baby.

thanks,
Zeeshan