Retired to Lima

I'm Mike from the UK and we retired to Lima in April 2013. I'm still waiting for Migraciones to approve my application for residency. So far, with the help of my Peruvian family we have managed to open 2 bank accounts, rented an apartment then bought an apartment, bought a car and had it repaired a number of times ( our man is very good by the way). My wife is Peruvian and works as a therapist in both English and Spanish. When (being positive) I receive my CE I will not be allowed to work - shame!

Hi Mike from the Uk....I´m Nathan from Australia....like yourself I have a Peruvian partner and I moved here to (Lima) recently to be with her...anyway I wish you luck with your "dealings" with Migraciones...I say this in all seriousness as I had to make a few visits to them myself on account of being a foreinger and such  :dumbom: ...anyway long story short...I extend to you a hello and wish you the best, you may reply if you like...cheers Nathan

Hi All,

I have created a new thread for you so that you can interact and share your experience here :)

You were  :offtopic: where you initially posted as it was just a forum for introduction of new members.

Cheers

Mishna

Mike,

If you are going to stay in Peru you might want to look into a Retirement Visa. No need to renew each year and it's good fore life providing you stay in Peru at least 6 months out of a year based on the date the Visa was issued.

Charles

Hello Charles:

My name is Flor .  I am from Lima - Peru. My boyfriend George is an american retired from the military, I am looking for an apartment for him, because he wants to live here. We will get married when he can here.

I see that you suggested Mike to request a Retirement Visa because George was going to request a Resident Visa.

I have been finding out about this but I am really confused. Do we have to get married first so he can apply for this Visa?

I hope you can help me

Thank you very much

Flor

Flor,

I don't believe it's necessary to be married.
I also have a three bedroom apartment for rent. Unfurnished in San Borja

Charles

Please, how much (pension) would you need to ask for a retirment visa? I would also like to know if they have a visa as rentista, as in Costa Rica

Hi,

Most all South American countries have a retirement visa of some kind. Income requirement, in Peru, was $1,500.00 per month but that was a few years ago.

Charles

Forget the married to a Peruvian visa; spouse has to guarantee your financial support yearly.

Thank you. I don't know why I cannot find anything about this type of visa in their official pages

What are the requirements for opening a bank account in Peru if you are a foreigner? Is it so difficult?

Unless there has been a change none of the major banks will open an account with out a DNI or CE. Banco Continental would not open one for me even with Carnet de Extranjeria because I did not have an employer and I even offered to deposit $25k. I also was turned down at Scotia Bank because they did not think my signature matched my CE.
If you get your CE Interbank or BCP are easy to deal with.

It used to be in their list of types of residencies along with with employment, student, Church, Investors & pensioner.

But, as a foreigner, doesn't Peru give you an Identity Card you can use to open a bank account? It is like that in Venezuela

Yes when approved for residency you are given a "carnet de extranjeria" which needs to be renewed annually for most categories. Mine is for retired people & is for an indefinite period. But I can not be absent from Peru more than 183 days during a rolling 12 month period.

Thank you. However, based on what you have explained, bank may refuse to open a bank account even if you have a CE. So, what I do not understand is, one goes through all the trouble to get a visa and a CE and then you cannot go live in Peru because you have problems to open a bank account or buy real estate.

I would try and ask the question in another forum to see what other people have done. If I do not have any family or friends there, imagine finding myself there alone and not being able to open a bank account, which is think is necessary for one's everyday life

When I had only a passport I used my US ATM card or credit card at ATM machines & took out the maximum of around 1400 soles per card at each bank but it cost $5 at the ATM and again in the US. $5 or so.

Thank you. And more or less how much is 1400 soles in US $? And what can you buy with that amount?

laura marina ruiz wrote:

Thank you. And more or less how much is 1400 soles in US $? And what can you buy with that amount?

You can search for 'usd to sol' and as of today, 1400 soles is almost $439 USD.  The Peruvian Nuevo Sol is currently at 3.19 to $1 USD.

About $450. You can stay in a nice 3 star hotel for 9 nights in best part of Lima near coast & walk to fast food restaurants and eat KFC or MacDonalds for $7 or less.