Is Kenya good place for working for Indians?

I've been offered a job in Thika - Textile Mills. Many here tell me that it is not a safe country to live. Specially after sun set. I'm to work as a mills manager. I am offered USD 1000 as savings + Local expenses + car. It is really good salary? can any one suggest the work culture there and how to deal with Kenyan workers. Also tell me how textile mills are performing there.

Follow your instincts;thats if you want to relocate or not.As per safety...never been their but all i know most areas in the country are safe for all.
Best of luck.

Hello,

First of all, there is a sizeable indian community in Thika.

With regard to your salary, if the $1000 is just for food, fuel, bills etc., then it is manageable.

With regard to safety, just like Nairobi, it is not advisable to walk on the streets after dark, particularly away from the town centre.  Just like many other towns and cities, there are areas which you should avoid at night.  If you have a vehicle or use a taxi, then you should be OK.  We have driven round Thika town many times, after dark without incident.  Personally, I am happy to walk around the centre of Thika during the day, but would avoid overtly carrying expensive items.

I do not know much about the textile mill, so am unable to advise you.

With regard to the treatment of Kenyan workers; in my opinion, they are often not treated too well, do as told and not ask questions, as well as being poorly paid on the whole and often paid late.  How should you treat them? Well, my belief is to think about how you like to be treated, by others and use that as a starting point.

Kenya is a good place for indians...they do have an edge.  $1000.- dollars is good, but make sure that you have a lot of benefits paid for, car, fuel, rent, travel allowance..... so that you are able to save.  [Moderated]

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your personal contacts on the forum. Promotional services not allowed register in the Nairobi business directory

How do you deal with Indian workers? Is there a difference?