Driving in Indonesia

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Indonesia? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Indonesia?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Indonesia: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Ok....my personal point of view is that people living, working hear have much more headache with other things.

No offense taken please but traffic in Indonesia is a nightmare, in Jakarta even worst. That's how it is....you can live with it or not. Stop complaining or move elsewhere.

They simply don't know how to handle, so take it or leave it.

When I first started driving in Indonesia someone told me to drive as if I was a beginner or learner. That advice was very good and has allowed me to quickly adapt to the way people drive in Indonesia. There are too many motorcyclists in Indonesia and they show no respect for cars. Often I think they have a death wish. So I just give way to them. It is better to let a motorcyclist drive crazily instead of believing that you are right and they are wrong and accidentally injuring them or killing them and claiming that it was their fault. You will always lose and pay the price, so better to drive carefully and always give way to them.

In general, most car drivers are better. But they may not like to give way and often prefer a tight squeeze past you rather than to wait for you to complete getting past them when there is a narrow road. They also do not like to allow you to pass them, as if they are losing a valuable position in a queue.

But generally, Indonesian car drivers are reasonable because they love their cars and send them for cleaning every few days and love taking care of them.

Traffic police often target luxury cars and cars with number plates from out of town.

Generally the roads in cities are busy with too many motorbikes who drive like crazy and do not respect the road rules. It is no wonder that so many motorcyclists get killed on the roads each day.

I agree with Mr. Happyhour. There is no point in complaining about the bad traffic in Indonesia. We should just accept it for what it is and adapt to it. I still enjoy driving every day, even in traffic jam or in the countryside. I just do not drive fast and I concentrate a lot on the road, always.

Russian roulette, but with 3 chambers loaded.

"Russian roulette, but with 3 chambers loaded."

And mind you, that's with a three shot revolver!    :o

Dude, I've just done the night drive to central Java - I survived....just.

The madness is something people who haven't been here can't understand.

I ride  a motorbike daily through Jakarta and its not really an issue any more for me but thats after 6 years of it.

I agree those that complain should move out of Jakarta and lessen the load here.

I ride with people going to work or working not schools kids or parents on school runs or families on their daily trip to the market so I see a different style of riding  One which is more organised and focused and fairly organised. Cars tend to be very cautious and taxis overall the same. I don't ride with buses too much or Angkots due to my routes I take so its not full of near death experiences however when I do then I slow down and keep a very sharp eye out for everything.

Sometimes the police do a good job and control the traffic but its sporadic and not consistent. They only patrol the roads which are main throughways and so the standard of driving gets worse the further away from main roads you get.

As for accidents, in 6 years I have had one minor bump  and that's it. I have seen fewer than 20 accidents while out and about in the same time but that again is down to the routes I take.

Saying all that, I do feel riding in Jakarta is like being in a big video game where everyone is out to get you. With more clowns behind the wheel than a circus car convention and a if God wants me to die today mentality  taking charge of any vehicle in Jakarta has to be done knowing the risk and the dangers that are out there.

But if I could, then I would be more happy to sit in the back of something and let someone else do the driving.

I would say that Indonesians if given a little space they will speed it out in a very loud manner.. Whether it is a motor bike or a car.. In my place in Surabaya traffic is less a problem which is why the cars are insanely moving fast... Motor bike users have the same issue which is you you will see accidents involving motorcycles here and there.. I remember a couple of months ago that a motorbike was hit by an avanza, both are running fast the rider and his passenger died because they were thrown away in the creek in the middle of the road.

Parking is also a problem, there are some car owner who dont know how to park to point it covers 3 spaces..

A few tips that work for Jakarta traffic

Keep a lookout for the motorcycles (speed motors) they will overtake from either side and squeeze into the tightest of places

Do not assume that other drivers will give way to you - they do not understand the give way rules - you will just need to be watchful and creep into the lane you wish to be in slowly - be slow but be sure.

If you give way then be prepared for all of Jakarta to drive past you while you wait.

Keep your distance when on the toll road - drivers in Jakarta tend to tailgate and are likely to slam on their brakes without notice - be prepared to stop - hence safe distance is essential even if other cars may cut in  in front of you

The road system and one way rules imply that the way you get from A to B is not the same way back - so before you can say that you know the way to a destination, be sure that you know the way back

Best smart phone app for navigation in Jakarta is Waze - it gives you good info on traffic ahead and good estimation of travel times

With the poor traffic and poor driving exhibited on Jakarta roads, I have always been pleasantly surprised by 2 things - one the absence of road rage (people are used to the frustrations of traffic and take it in their stride) and two, there are surprisingly no dings or dents on cars (though motorcycle drivers do often get killed on the roads on a daily basis)

Be very wary of motorcycle drivers - if you hit one they will gang up on you and be default it is the car driver's fault

Keep your doors locked at all times

Parking is not so much a problem - there are always parking attendant available that will help you park your car with good directions - use valet service in good malls only

In short, do not assume that you have right of way, be watchful and be prepared

I am an Aussie and been living in Bali for over 5 years. I always ride a scooter everywhere and sometimes drive a car. Ive seen it all.
I think the problem in Indo stems from total lack of training and skills and no appreciation for safety. In Australia it is quite difficult to get a drivers license as you need to do the training then pass the test to demonstrate competence.
It seems to get a licence in Indo just go and pay the money, hence the road is full of incompetent idiots. I agree, you will never change things we have to find a way of fitting into the madness and somehow survive. So, how do we survive?? Advanced defensive driving skills is what is needed. That simply means that when you drive expect anything as anything generally happens!! Common sense does not prevail in Indo. I constantly see people driving a scooter whilst texting on their phone or people driving cars talking on the phone with no regard for anyone else sharing the road. Because there seems to no rules chaos prevails. Running red lights at intersections is common and trucks change lanes without notice as they push you into the kerb, they just don't look. The locals have no defensive driving skills at all so if you want to survive its up to you. Stay sharp!!
On top of all the road conditions are also a major issue. Unprotected open drains, holes in the roads, bad cambering, narrow roads, animals on roads its all out there. How do we deal with this?? Simple. Drive to the conditions!! Slow down where it is necessary, let the idiots scream past you, you will catch up at the next set of lights.
So to the newbies out there stay safe. Be defensive and drive to the conditions.
Tip:  ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU CARRY ID WITH YOU. Without it you may be stuck in a hospital a long time before they ID who you are (If unconscious) For all you Aussies, did you know that you can go online (e-health) and enter all your travel contact details including Next Of Kin with your Medicare Number? So by looking at your Medicare number the hospital can get all this data. But only if you put it there!!
Stay safe...

BigAl what makes it worse in Bali, the locals on the island or the tourists thinking that they can ride like the Balinese? I have ridden a lot over Bali and found that the tourists are worse especially with surfboards strapped to the bike and drinking beer as they go. I prefer riding with Indonesians more than surrounded by tourists.

I live in South Bali. I have been to Jakarta and the traffic there almost looks disciplined compared to what you see in Bali. In the past I traveled around the world for my job. I have never seen a place where people drive so egoistically as in Bali. There is absolutely no respect for other drivers.

At the same time South Bali traffic is completely congested. So, the only way to get from point A to B in a reasonable time is to use a motorbike. But when you do keep in mind that anything on a other motorbike, car, truck or bus may hit you from the back, left, right or front if the other driver thinks that he may win 0.5 seconds doing so.

I live here for more than 2.5 years and already had two accidents. But I still have no intention of staying home :)

Marc

Well i see about every thing to do with traffic has been touch...Myself i drive a motor GP motorcycle...average of 5 to 6 HOURS ADAY...BUT being from the US how to say this .....I see the problems the cars have i try to help the cars as much as i can by opening road for them. And being on a big motorcycle sorry i do not give in to all the regular motorbikes (SODA CYCLES) i do not let them cut in front of me and alot see me driving at a average speed of traffic..just because mine can go super fast does not mean i do...i have the power for when i only feel safe to use it,  but biggest thing i see are just unedgucated drivers even when it comes to road conditoon or traffic they flat just go where ever they want from the road to sidewalk so people walking can not use it. Runnig red lights like they dont exsit.. soo i just drive as i did from my own country but with music on my motorcycle..turn up the tunes loudly... besides my music scares most of them to keep distance from me besides the exspensive motor gp bike.. My wife says it best they drive like there in a village not in a city with traffic rules.

I mostly drivevin Balu but what happens here is most likely the standard in other parts of Indonesia.
Drivers in Bali are about as discourtrous and uptight as a driver can be.
Honking the horn before the light turns green....cutting you off....grid lock....rarely will someone give you a chance to pull into traffic. The problem is that traffic infractions are never enforcre. Drunk driving...no problem..hit an animal...good sport.  Speeding..yeah right.  And the only time a cop may stop you is to collect bribe money. If you don't enforce rules, people run amock....human nature. And to be just, foreigners are probably the worst violators...Surely if people took their driving habits to the west, road rage would be prevelent.

I do have one thing to say ...about road rage...that dont see it is for the birds....I see it every day every thing from policemen kicking cars and taxis...motorbikes trying to push each other to the side of road or into traffic by getting way to close... Even a group of 10 boys disrupting traffic and trying have a fight with one on a motor bike beside me..when i took off my helmemt and they saw i was not indonesian they ran like a flock of turkeys....People the road rage is there daily they just do it in a manner less noticable is all...I watched a motor bike run in to a car head on ...The motor bike was totally in the wrong lane but try to say the car was at fault..but alot of us stoped that saw it and said nope the motorbike was ...Only diffrence I see is they dont have guns...But will use their motor bikes like one...And luke is right traffic is like a video game you hope you win at the end of the day..

Hehe if they came to my country and drove there as they do here 1 our jails would fill up fast...2 they would have to worry about other drivers wanting to do bodily harm to them and they would too but enough of all this i have 5 hours to sleep before i am back in it.....

Yep. Definitely tourists are the worst offenders because they drive like maniacs. No way could they do that s*** in their own country. Also they drive with total disregard to the locals on the road.

I have to say it makes me shiver when I see some of the tourist on bikes who you can quite easily see they haven't ever ridden a bike before in their own country and think it's anything goes in Bali ,so why not give it a try . Wobbling all over the place ,using their front brakes instead of the back and so on. I have no idea how they survive? But you usually see the odd person all bandaged up or covered in horrendous gravel rash( obviously came off) , no surprise .  But as for the general rule I just find that patience is the key and more so looking in front for the locals who just come out ,no signal , no looking and assuming you will respond accordingly , and that's the key , you must absolutely be aware of the unexpected the whole time and predict what is about to happen . I personally love driving my bike and have never had a problem . Close calls yes , but that's indo!  I enjoy driving my car for one reason only and that's for comfort if it's raining, but as for parking it can be a nightmare !

I am an expat here.
Firstly th average speed is about 10 - wp kph cos of the traffic.
this is worse during rush hours 6.30 - 10 am and 4.30 - 9 pm.
if you do get faster then everyone tail gates changes lane dont indicate and you dont even want know about motorbike

I enjoy expats moaning about the traffic here like complaining about it will change anything.
It's bad. It was bad before we got here and it will be the same after we leave. Odd no one complains about the quality of the tap water which is equally likely to cause you serious harm if drank or indulged in, yet we use it everyday.

lukereg wrote:

I enjoy expats moaning about the traffic here like complaining about it will change anything.
It's bad. It was bad before we got here and it will be the same after we leave. Odd no one complains about the quality of the tap water which is equally likely to cause you serious harm if drank or indulged in, yet we use it everyday.

I get great photos because the roads are so bad. I like to think positive.

I believe this song was written to address issues when riding a motorcycle on Indonesian roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo

I bought a month ago in Jakarta motorbike Suzuki Thunder. Self ride on it to Bali through the Salak, the plateau Dieng, Jogya. After ride with a friend together on Bali and Lombok, now returned to Jakarta. A total of 4000 km per month. Traffic... yes, there is. But do not critical. Plugs there, but as a rule is still rather shortness of movement. Bigger trafik jam  to the Jakarta, but to go all the same can be. The drivers is quite correct, unlike other Asian countries often include turn signals even when changing the line. Hard drive at night, as a lot of buses and trucks that are often fly on the oncoming line at high speed. Tomorrow start to Sumatra. By the way, to September 10, I will sell my friend "Bruno",  Suzuki Thunder 125cc 2007. Anna.

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please exchange your contact details in private
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I would never want to drive in Indonesia, yet, am Indonesian thouh living in Milan, Italy.  Having lived in Jakarta just recently for 2 years is, I just can't wrap my head around it is the fact that how come I did not see accidents as I see here in Milan? Even just a few weeks ago where the city is deserted as most were away on their summer holiday, suddenly I hear a big bang of collision right here in my road at the junction. Ran downstairs, I just didn't want to go see it up close.  So, I do take my hat off to those Indonesians on their flexibility, be it at not being distracted by all sort of traffic inches away and far, and their ability to brake at any moment.  (Those who think in Italy they also have crazy drivers, note that it is mostly in the Central to South of the country. Occasionally you encounter them here too).

Yes i agree about ones never riding bike before but i been riding sence i was 10 years old on them and have had many bikes plus motor gp fan ....Even the skilled driver can not miss some one just popping out infront of you.And i have seen 100s of accidents just most are never reported., And I agree with luke things like water and many other health issuses shoild be as important..

A colleague of mine was recently hit by or hit a car riding home. He ended up with plates in his leg after surgery. He has gone back to England to rest up for a while and tells me he will return.
Happily for him he was wearing a full face helmet which is now scratched and dented and without it I doubt he would have had his chin left or worse.
So if you are riding, wear that full face makes your hair wet with sweat helmet, it looks better on your head than carried on your arm.

This is soooooo true ....i have been in omly one accident and same glad i had my full face. On....Wish yoir friend a quick recovery luke....

Drive steady, grow eyes in your arse, and always assume the next driver will be a tad more stupid than the last.
That improves your chances......a little.

Still, it is fun on the roads, and saves you money as you don't need to take up extreme sports for your thrills.

Driving in indonesia is much differ to my country. Here its right hand drive and there's a lot of motorcycle at high speed and they don't mind if you arw signaling for left or right turns they will still pass over your side and usually ignore your signals. Also, street signs here are placed across the street direction and not goes with the direction of the roads. In indonesia most of the streets are one way direction. So if you're lost you must return again to where you came from.

The advice I was given when I first started riding in Jakarta was:

1. Stick to a channel, one that is not directly behind anything else so that when the thing in front stops suddenly you can swerve round it
2. Don't race anything, stick to a sensible speed and let the world pass you by
3. Try not to turn into traffic unless at lights and it is really safe to do so
4. Never be in a hurry
5. Wear a helmet
6. Learn to ride at night as it is moderately safer than in the day time (as in less idiots riding about from school or the market and mainly people riding home but not in too much of a hurry to die, unlike the school or market runs or weekend racers)
7. IF you can do those things then take a taxi

Sound advice I think