For Culture and Museum lovers

I had the opportunity last week to visit Jeddah most interesting museum, Abdul Raouf Khalil Museum, near Al Falak Roundabout off Steen street going south behind Al Sabban Furniture. The displays at this museum clearly reflect the history of the country at the same time it highlights Islamic art from Iran, India, Turkey,  Syria, Morocco and other Islamic countries. They have an amazing section for Arabic calligraphy and Old Qurans and another section for Qa'aba Holdings and other Collectibles.

We were more than lucky to get a VIP tour by the Owner's  son .We started our tour at around 5 and we had to leave at 9 (Closing time)before we manage to see everything there.

I encourage everybody to visit this place since for the time been its open to public between (9am-12pm and 5pm-9pm) for 50SR as an iterance fees.  This wasn't the case before and it will not continue to do so, before they only open for groups of 10 as a minimum.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I'll try to be there next time I visit Jeddah,

Thanks for sharing!

Hoping to be able to get there this year now that both kids will be in school & I will be able to enjoy it more.

You are welcome guys,

This museum is not the only one established by the late Abdul Raouf Khali, actually the main one which was a source of pride for the city of Jeddah and its people, was burned down around 15 years ago. It used to be located off Tahlia near Bugshan Mosque . The fire engulfed the old buildings and within hours they were reduced to ashes, along with their  more than 15,000 unique artifacts, you can still see very few pieces that survived the fire at the current museum.

There is one Museum in Ballad District also it is also very old one. I have not been inside it as the museum open in day time, but i have attended few cultural festivals arranged by the government in front of the museum in the night time,
And even you can have a view of old Buildings which might be 6 decades old around the museum.

I think you are talking about Nassif House( in front of the Portuguese Cannons in Balad Area) . This house carries historical value and it's use to showcase some cultural affairs now and then, otherwise its empty and its only opens for National events. In the past, you could go up to all of the four floors, but now they only open the ground floor to public.

Sweet...lets go as EB group...:D

Awesome…  hamudi, we all know that to have such outing arranged , I will reached to an age where I can be fitted in the museum as one of its objects. :cool:

By the way, am going there again with a group of my friends soon.

ahmadaq wrote:

Awesome…  hamudi, we all know that to have such outing arranged , I will reached to an age where I can be fitted in the museum as one of its objects. :cool:

By the way, am going there again with a group of my friends soon.

Oh man haha I remember soo many meets got organized and cancelled last minute.

xoxo