Viability of a move to Bahrain ?

I have a Skype interview with a company in Bahrain on Wednesday, and although I know the job suits me and am capable, I am not sure how politically stable the country is, and if the £70 k tax free salary, plus the usual benefits really
is a good salary ? I am not familiar with what it really costs to live to a decent standard over in Bahrain ? I am based in the UK, so this is a research exercise.

Any guides to where and how much it costs based on that salary would help me with my decision.

Many Thanks

Look its good opportunity....

Approx  2 BR Full Furnished Apartment in Juffair cost about 1000 Ponds
And you can make other living expense 1000 Ponds.
So at max your living cost will be 2500 - 3000 Ponds.
But if you have kids and husband ... your living cost will be increased to 6000 Pounds.

And best of Luck for the interview.

Bahrain is an awesome country. If I could find a well paying job I'd move there. I worked in Saudi 5 years and traveled regularly to Bahrain. I can tell you that even in the middle of the Arab Spring, Bahrain was a SAFE place to live and drive in. Yes, there were a few weeks when the climate appeared uncertain but overall the Bahraini population was orderly and well mannered. I have only entertained job offers in Saudi Arabia that allow me to live in close proximity to Bahrain. If you're offered a well paying job in this wonderful, Western-friendly country, I highly recommend taking it. As the previous post stated, you can live quite well on 3000 pounds if you're single. A good pad can set you back 2000 US but you could also choose to live in 1 of the immigrant labor sections in Manama, which are still decent and safe. Even with wife and kids, 71000 pounds will allow you to live well and be safe and comfortable. Bahrain (and Bahrainis) is ultra-unique in its respect and kindness toward Westerners. Lots to do, many friends to make and at 71k pounds you can afford to live very well here. Good luck.

You might want to have a look at the Definitive Guide for Expats which gives a pretty good understanding of the types of costs out here.

Bahrain is a friendly place and we are happy here.  There are various areas of Bahrain where expats tend to live which one usually depends on where you will be working!

I would confirm whether the offer you get includes accommodation, car allowance, medical insurance, school fees for any children, and how many return flights back home.  School fees are rather high out here and if you have children who will be joining you at some point then you are advised to start the school application process as soon as you can as the main British curriculum schools (British School of Bahrain, St Christophers) tend to be full!

For an idea of rental prices you may want to look at Bahrain Property World (A bit like Right Move in the UK!).  Remember that most places expect a certain amount of negotiation on the rentals and it can be worth going fully inclusive (including internet and TV!).

Hope this helps

S

Thanks , these comments are helpful, it is a big decision, and I would be moving alone, so would not have a spouse and children as a family for company, are there any social events for people in the same position ?

Plenty of things. Check time out Bahrain. Also you can join private clubs. Rugby club, British club etc which have events and social things (sport etc) you can participate in.

Bahrain is safe though there are increasing rumours that it may not stay this way, especially with recent attacks nearby in KSA etc

In saying that quite a few expats stayed through the last lot of troubles in Bahrain. That's a call only you can make as unfortunately one never can predict what may happen, especially in this region !