HELP - Can foreigners own land in Kenya???

So, i was told by my lawyer that it is legal for foreigners (American) to own land in Kenya, and have been pursuing the same for the past couple of months...now that i've gotten to the stage of going to get consent signed from the land's board, they are telling me they won't sign unless i have a kenyan (with an ID) sign the sales agreement.  If you've had any experience/knowledge on this subject, or advice as to what i can do to continue with the purchase of this land, please let me know.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi nziro!

I hope other members will be able to advise you soon!

Regards
Armand

i believe foreigners can own land without any problem.

Hi Nziro - I am very sorry but your lawyer has mis-informed you.
Please note that foreigners cannot own agricultural land or any land under the RLA or GLA (land in private ranches or near the beach). This land can only be owned by Kenyans. Foreigners may however own land that falls under RTA (land in urban areas / municipalities - eg a house in Runda).
If you want proper advice (note to moderator I know this is not the classifieds) you can get in touch with me at [email protected] - been offering legal, managerial and other consultancy services for a very long time.

kenyandesi wrote:

Hi Nziro - I am very sorry but your lawyer has mis-informed you.
Please note that foreigners cannot own agricultural land or any land under the RLA or GLA (land in private ranches or near the beach). This land can only be owned by Kenyans. Foreigners may however own land that falls under RTA (land in urban areas / municipalities - eg a house in Runda).
If you want proper advice (note to moderator I know this is not the classifieds) you can get in touch with me at [email protected] - been offering legal, managerial and other consultancy services for a very long time.

Great answer Kenyandesi !!

I am from the UK and have bought a piece of agricultural land, and property, without problems - but probably because I have a Kenyan wife (our joint names on the title)  and a Kenya Revenue PIN (which was requested).

There is quite a lot of information on the web, including the Ministry of Lands website on this too.  A good and experienced Lawyer really helps too.

Thanks all for your help!  I really appreciate it!  :o)

Make sure before u buy land in Kenya you go do a search of land to make sure that the land is clean and has no trouble with court cases etc,i will advise you not to use agents just Get a known lawyer and together do the search before making any payments.There are many conmens so be careful.Good luck

Yes you can, but it all depends where the land is and the purpose. Please ensure you are sold a clean land before paying your money

[Moderated: Kindly post in the Housing in Kenya section]

follow the link am sure it will answer your question.http://www.internationallawoffice.com/newsletters/detail.aspx?g=3d604c34-3443-4e0f-99e4-dd098b723157

@ kagwi > Thank you for your participation, however this thread is an outdated one ( 2011).

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

[ Thread closed ]

Closed