New members of the Panama forum, introduce yourself here – 3rd quarter of 2015

Hi all,

Newbie on the Panama forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Panama if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

P.S : The thread New members of the Panama forum, introduce yourself here – 2nd quarter of 2015 continues below!

Hi All,  my name is Larry,  I'm  living in David and I'm married to a Panamanian.  I'm from Oklahoma  born in Oklahoma.

Hello everyone!

I have lived in Panama off and on for 18 years and am living in Panama City.  I worked for 2 Panama law firms providing marketing, promotional, and SEO services and am now doing this business on my own.

Steven Rich, MBA

Your expertise is most welcome, Steven!

Hola - (that is nearly the extent of my Spanish)😊
  My husband & I retired last year and have only recently begun to consider relocation to Panama. We currently live outside of Las Vegas, NV.
  My husband retired from a 37-year career with Union Pacific RR & I am a freelance writer and abstract artist. We have been doing our 'You Tube' exploration of Panama, and are still torn between residences located near the beach and those in the mountain areas.
  We are leaning toward the Volcan area because of the cooler temperatures . . . Not to mention the fact that my husband loves to hike & I love to fish (we are sort of the Jack Sprat & his wife, of the outdoors).
  Well, there you have it - You now know more about our plans, than most of our friends and family. 😆
I will be 'lurking about' and soaking up the wealth of knowledge provided by those of you who have already made this transition.
  Looking Forward to Getting Acquainted ~
                     Robin

We are in our mid- late 50's and we are in the midst of attempting to purchase a condo.  We are planning to become ex-pats but are professionals and are not ready to retire yet.  We have 3 adult children (2 still in college) who have no plans to move to Panama yet.  We are active, work out, do yoga, try to eat healthy, hike, etc.  We believe in "doing the right thing when no one is looking and being a good person"...That is our motto!

My husband and I are Canadian and recently retired.  We are presently researching a move to Panama, preferably in the Boquette/David area.  We are both over 65, in very good health and have had the good fortune to travel and work in several overseas countries. We 'cut our teeth' on overseas living in 1987 when we moved to Saudi Arabia to work. At first, it was an overwhelming culture shock but we learned to adjust quickly and had an incredible experience during the 5 years we were there. We returned to Canada for 4 years but the urge to have that 'overseas living' experience got us again. After living in 4 other countries since then, we are seeking a new adventure. So much is being said about Panama these days and we would like to know as much as possible about moving there and all that involves.  We plan to travel there this Fall to check things out and hopefully make the move next Spring.  We welcome all the advice and information any of you can offer.  Thank You!

My husband and myself are planning on moving to Panama because the pension income is too low to live on in Canada.
We would be interested in hearing about other people and how they made the move. We have so much stuff to sell it seems like an over welling challenge! And we have already downsized a few times! Our goal is to bring very little with us and start fresh. We will be bringing our golden retriever with us! We were planning to rent in Panamas old town but have heard it is cheaper to live in one of the smaller cities or rural area. We would love to hear from others who made the move, the good and the bad aspects of it. Thanks!

Beverley, have you visited Panama and checked out a variety of areas / climates there?  If not you really should before making definite plans. For example I found that I could not function actively in the hot humid Temps of Panama city and the coastal areas, and found the climate in the Highland areas invigorating. To my way of thinking that factor is the first decision to be made when beginning your research.  Good luck in your quest!

Hello and Buenos dias to all-

We are a relatively young (56/48) couple ready to retire to Panama this year (either Boquete or Volcan). We have been diligent readers of this and other blogs and are so appreciative of the wealth of information available.

We can't wait to head south :-)

Very exciting for you, capforfun! Have you been to visit either town?

Actually, not yet. We have been to Panama City a few times but are looking forward to exploring Boquete and Volcan shortly

Two very different styles of community. I will be interested in your perceptions of each town when you return.

I'm currently living in California and have been thinking about relocating myself to Panama.
I'm seriously considering moving to either David or Boquete and would like to visit.
I have a sister who would like to visit also but don't know where to start.
People warned me that it's not safe for women to travel alone. I'll be grateful for any advice or connections so I can start this process.
Jan

Greetings :)

I'm an EU resident (living in Finland).

Finally made the decision to move to Panama (heading there in October)

Hi, Steven.  What opportunities do you think might exist there for part-time work as attorneys?  I am 60 and my wife is 58.  Also, between us, we are, more or less, fluent in French, Spanish, and Japanese, in addition to English.  We'd like to find an opportunity that would allow retirement within two years, on a modest income besides my meager retirement.  Thanks much.

Hi All,
My name is Valerie and my husband and I have lived in Panama for 3 1/2 years. Research, planning, and several trips started in 2007! I work from here as a freelance writer. We live in the country between Boquete and David and have built three structures on our property.

So I am offering my experiences since most likely, you will get different opinions but I will share mine. While at times life is challenging, we are very happy with our decision.

Saludos,
Valerie

Hello Valerie - I am eager to learn more about the area between David and Boquete.  I am hoping to find a location slightly warmer and possibly less windy than Boquete, while much cooler than David, and less costly than Boquete. But it is difficult to get a clear picture of what the various communities along the highway are actually like. My only investigative tool is google maps. We did not really explore those communities when we were in Boquete in January.

The downside I imagine is that the beautiful lush mountain slopes are farther away.

I welcome any info and insights you can offer!

Hi Steve,
All the reasons you said, is EXACTLY why we chose where we bought our property! I will need to give you more info later, but when I saw your post, I had to let you know that you are right, have done your homework, and I will be glad to explain more.

While I am glad to share, this is a new forum for me so I prefer not to post coordinates, etc. and specific person information. So if there is a way that we can connect personally, I will be happy to explain more.

Saludos,
Valerie

My wife and I are considering a move in about four years.  Our fingers are crossed that the prices will still be relativily the same, as well are expat pension law, so that we can fulfill out dream.  We will be retiring early in life (39 and 38 w/ our 10y/o daughter).  We are taking steps to set ourselves up for success: schooling for our daughter, launguage training, thinning out our accurred items, further travelling.  We havent travelled to Panama, though this is a future task.  We have been to CR however however decided that CR wouldnt be ideal due to changing expat pension laws and the higher cost of living. 

After reading many blogs and forums we will of course rent first.  Heck, if possible we would allow our daughter to take a year from school to enjoy living ouside of Canada for a year just so we can test the water that much more.  Its difficult to take more than a month at a time away from work to get a feel for what we want.

My wife and I both enjoy the outdoors and love the heat.  We have come to the conclusion the best way to enjoy a hot summer (we are currently living in Southern Ontario) is to not be doing a darn thing.  I cant stand working (inside or out) if I can enjoy the heat and work on my own time.  Im trying to still convince my wife that we can find an affordable life in highlands (Boquete area) where she can grow an almost year round garden. 

Hope all is well for everyone who has made Panama their home with nothing but luck and stories.

Hello Reg,
For every response I do, I should make a disclaimer - "This is My Experience Only" and I am not attorney by the way! It's important because too many from our past experience are definitive and when you are starting this major change, you think it to be the truth and the only way. Sometimes it is but most of the time that is not the case.

You are both young! I think it's great that you want your daughter to have a cultural experience - what a difference it will make in her future.

There are many people here that started in CR and moved here. The reasons? Expensive as you said, and probably another major issue was the crime. Personally, since I have been to both countries way before we considered moving here, CR wasn't even a consideration. I didn't experience crime but just the attitude of the people I encountered - they were not as pleasant and good or bad, I like the fact that Panama's official currency is the Balboa but it is the same as the USD. So no need to convert currencies all the time. Coming from Canada, you may not see that as a benefit - especially right now :)

My suggestion is to thoroughly research the permanent resident requirements. We have a "Pensionado Visa" thx to my husband who is older than me - otherwise we wouldn't have qualified. Since you both are young, that is not possible for you either but there are other types of permanent visas but I don't have the information but it should be easy to find.

Yes - we can garden here all year and it is certainly a passion of mine. I am sure you have considered your future income sources. it is highly doubtful that you could get employment (unless it's from a large company that needs people here) nor would you want a job from a local employer- the pay would be very low regardless of your qualifications. Starting a business is possible but really do your homework on that one!

Just some items to consider. We love it here and did what you are NOT supposed to do - bought  property first years ago and built our dream home when we moved here 3 1/2 years ago. It worked out great for us but I 100% agree with renting first.

Hope this helps and best wishes.

Thanks for the insight.

I forgot to mention that I would be "pensioning" out and do qualify.  When the time comes, Ill have spent 20 years in the military and thankfully, I will exceed the mininum requirements to apply for the Pensionado Visa.  However, thats a topic I started on another thread.

Cheers

Great because that makes a difference. There is one thing you may not know. When we received ours, I think I was 52. Even with the Visa, women are not eligible to receive the discount until they are 55. Not sure if that was on the other thread?

Having said that,  I did get denied a few times but not too often because vendors really don't check if you have the card. Now that I qualify :) I am not sure if they have cracked down and look to make sure you are of age or not. Regardless, I remember  one time for a medication but if it was expensive, my husband could have bought it. You don't need prescriptions for many items here, the discount is 20% but that one was a shock. What we would consider prescription drugs, are not cheap here but my guess is with via the military, you will be able to get, if you need anything, delivered here.

Congrats on your good research - I spent countless hours (probably added in to months!) researching. It makes a huge difference and you will get more respect from some "old timers" LOL.

I am a university graduate from university of Ghana legoon coming on tour and likes to know much about panama I likes to be there.from Ghana northern part of the country. :D

My name is Louisa. My husband Greg and I are thinking of moving to Panama City in about 3 years. Currently we live in California. We started the friendly nation visa already. I'm thinking of starting a business earlier, maybe sooner if the right opportunity come. I might just move here part time first. We have already been here once and we love it. We are planning another trip in December. I would love to make some friends.
If anyone want to contact us for friendship or business opportunities, please email lifeisgreat4us at yahoo.com
Cheers
Louisa

Hello Louisa, my name is Michael Johnson. I'm retired military and my girlfriend and I want to move down there too. We are both 45 ( pretty broke down) lol but love to have fun. I plan on doing a recon mission myself to check it out. My girl works, what kind of business are you looking to start ? And what city are you planning to move to. I want to be close to the beach but still close to the military communities so I can use my benefits. December is a possibility if you want travel buds ? Since you've been there you could help us a lot. But you sound very nice maybe ttyl MJ

Hey everyone, my wife Lynn and I ,are seeking a change. We currently live in Ocala, Fl. Aka Slowcala. Even the pace here is a little faster, we miss the tranquility of central america. We were there in 89, At Clayton/Howard area. Mountain or beaches, it's all good to us. I have been retired for a couple of years now looking forward to a change.
Bill Carmine

Welcome, Bill - are you planning a visit to Panama in the coming year?

Hello All!
I haven't introduced myself to this forum yet so now I will... I'm a single female currently living in south Louisiana with plans to retire in about 24 months.  It is nice to communicate with other individuals with similar goals.
What I hope to do is retire to a milder climate in the upper elevations of Panama to escape the heat and high humidity of the southern USA gulf states.  Also, I would like to find a more cost effective life that what is common in the USA.
Thanks for your time,
Ellen

Hi Michael, we are thinking of a specialty tea shop. It will be in Panama City, most likely Casco Viejo. I'm not sure exactly when, maybe 2016 or 2017. We are planning our second trip in this Dec. I'll stay for a month. My husband will be there for 2 weeks. Would definitely love to meet up with anyone who is interested in sharing their experience in Panama. I'm looking to rent a furnished apartment by Balbao. Let me know if anyone want to meet up!
Louisa and Greg

Yes we are planing on leaving here in April. Still working the kiks out. We have found a couple of houses., haven't decided on which one yet.
Bill

My Name is Rhoda I live in Mombasa Kenya planning to move to Panama for employment...

Robin,
I am a newbie as well. Regarding your/our Spanish, don't forget "taco"....   Ha
Rebecca

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=529762

Thanks!

Closed