How to make friends in the Cape Verde

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in the Cape Verde :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in the Cape Verde??

Thanks in advance for your participation

kmmt allez vu

hi my name is seedy i am coming to cape verde, sal for a working visit and i hope to know u and be your friend. i will let you know about my arrival if u want to meet me. my email is [email protected]. thanks looking forward.

please i nd info abt living in cape verde, am in lagos

hello can any body tel me on how to get admision into cape verde university master degree pro

Hello uplawal,
You are off-topic in this discussion!
You might want to start a new discussion and concentrate in one and only message your questions on Cape Verde :)
This will allow more accurate responses from fellow forum members.
Arlette

It is so easy to make new friends in Cape Verde! You simply approach someone you want to meet and say hello. It can be off-putting at first if you for the person you are approaching, but if you are genuine, have a smile on your face, and just want to make a casual friend, it will work itself out very easily.

To make someone comfortable, you can say, "Hi, I'm new to Cape Verde and I need a little help getting to know the place. Where is the best place to get the best _____"

That's how you get started. Then you can ask the person a little about themselves without getting to personal. For example, "So what do you do?"

One challenge is language. If you do not speak Kriolu or Portuguese it might be a bit difficult at first. However, Cape Verdeans are multi-lingual and you are sure to meet someone who can speak the main languages of the world.

Hi CVAngelo,

Thank you very much for your participation! :)

Oi Christine. No problem. Hoping to see more interaction on Cape Verde. Checkout my YouTube channel about Cape Verde:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mangojulie123

Hope it's ok to post it in a message.

Hi my name is udy ,i need inform.. on how to come to cape Verde.please i want to meet an English speaking person,I'm coming from Abuja.thanks for your cooperation.

hello i want to meet a good friend here can someone help me pl.

I'll let u know when I visit :) can hang out hehe

thanks CV Angelo its a nice information!

My father want to visit Cape Verde,but I don't have friend in the Cape Verde!
TT TT TT

Hi Sam Yan,

May be an introduction and some more details about your interest might help enlarging your friend network. Thank you! :)

Regards,

David.

Hello am Alhaji am looking for a nice friends

Good day everyone

Good day everyone
-@Udoka Peaceful Osinachi

Hello Udoka

Good morning everyone.. I'm Simeon S Kai..

I live in Liberia.

I really want come in Cape verd but I know nobody there and I want make friends before coming.

Someone who will be able to some me the way in and out..

Hi all,

I may possibly start working in Cape Verde, on one of the quite isolated places on the island (of which I forgot the name).

The idea is to prepare for the opening of (one of the) the fanciest places to stay when visiting the island as a tourist.

Opening may, however, be only in about 1 to 2 years... I was simply wondering if -in case I would accept the job offer- there are some (or an estimate of how many) other expats living on the island, and/or if meeting local people is considered "normal" and without any prejudices from their side?

If anybody reading this has already been through this initial stage of moving & working there as a foreigner, I would be extremely grateful for all experiences, tips & tricks, possible setbacks, useful advice etc.

In fact, if anybody feels like sharing something with me, please do so!

Thanks a lot,

Sarah (from Belgium, moving to C.V. in a few months)

Hi all,
I may possibly start working in Cape Verde, on one of the quite isolated places on the island (of which I forgot the name).
The idea is to prepare for the opening of (one of the) the fanciest places to stay when visiting the island as a tourist.
Opening may, however, be only in about 1 to 2 years... I was simply wondering if -in case I would accept the job offer- there are some (or an estimate of how many) other expats living on the island, and/or if meeting local people is considered "normal" and without any prejudices from their side?
If anybody reading this has already been through this initial stage of moving & working there as a foreigner, I would be extremely grateful for all experiences, tips & tricks, possible setbacks, useful advice etc.
In fact, if anybody feels like sharing something with me, please do so!
Thanks a lot,
Sarah (from Belgium, moving to C.V. in a few months)
-@Saar76

Hi Sarah,

I may possibly start working in Cape Verde, on one of the quite isolated places on the island (of which I forgot the name)... I was simply wondering if -in case I would accept the job offer- there are some (or an estimate of how many) other expats living on the island, and/or if meeting local people is considered "normal" and without any prejudices from their side?

You will definitely need to at least know which of the 9 islands you are talking about. It's obviously impossible to answer the first part of your question without knowing to which island you are referring as each island is different and with vastly different population sizes varying from 5,000 to 250,000!

Regarding meeting local peopçe - it is perfectly normal and you will find that they are probably going to reach ouut to you first. In fact, a long term visitor would likely be considered an unfriendly or arrogant snob if they did not reach out or respond to te locals. LOL. They are a friendly bunch and you may find the local men to be excessively so. LOL

Sarah, that's a lot of information that you are asking for. It would take a book to contain it. Talking about books, there are several guides (mostly published by French and German authors) that will tell you all about what you can find on every island in CV. I myself have written an eGuide to Living and Working in CV. Contact me via private message if you'd like to hear more about it.

In any event, please feel free to contact me if you decide to take the job and move to CV. I'd be happy to help direct you or answer any questions you may have.

Best regards,

Angelo

Hi - my advice, for lonely people or concerns about making friends is to pick an activity or sport to attend and participate in local events! Churches, music, dancing, boarding - whatever is your thing!

You will automatically have that to talk about, and the opportunity to get to know other people's beliefs or experiences further. You will also find hundreds of local people are curious, and approach often to ask you about yourself! Be polite, but also be careful to not agree to accompany them unless you are sure about where or what they are offering you.

A normal progression should be very slow - for hangouts one on one or in private - as here are also a lot of income inequality, which leads to some dangers when meeting new people and getting to trust them safely. Be aware of your surroundings, emergency services, keep belongings safe and secure at all times and never bring anyone you have just recently met to your address.

Take taxi - they usually know everything available in the area, speak many languages and they are numbered for your safety so texting this to a friend back home also precautionary option.

Other side of this is that outdoor activities and night life is very exciting- look for places where locals feel comfortable leaving even their young children alone to dance or play. You will also have many other people watching out for your safety too!

Limit drinking or leaving anything unattended until you have a core group you know will share your concerns. Keep geolocation on and phone online if going out alone. Chat up any small business owners you like, they are usually very happy even just to have company and potential repeat customers. They can introduce you to friends your then set up with a safe base to hang out, too.

Remember to tip in kind! it is expected at least 5-10% more and gifts are always appreciated as well! Very difficult to get some products here in CV- bring donations if you can too

@Saar76 Hi Sarah! Congrats on the job offer and opportunity! Excited for you!

I can offer you tips and observations, and a few examples of recent events, about the culture shocks and preps you can try! Reading your posts, and as a foreign woman - some difficult navigational items regarding the off-putting nature of some of the patriarchy and racism here, which I of course did not understand being from a friendly, safe, and open, equal, and accommodating newer country. This has been my own personal struggle.

I can now say that if socializing is the main concern for you- it is easy, and there are a few steps to take to assert boundaries and keep your self safe! I am also very good friends with another resident in Sal from Belgium, (who is also here with children, for a few years now and married to a local) and probably better able to relate to your past experiences in your own language?.. I can ask if she would like to connect - if you feel comfortable sharing contact.

:)

Dear Tracy,

I just now read your kind response on how to get in contact with other expats/locals.

I will be in Santo Alhao (where I will be located (isolated 😉) at the end of this month for a ten day visit, allowing me to "feel" the island, the people and to observe and live day to day life over there.

You mention a Belgian woman with whom I may connect; even though Sal isn't "around the corner", I would much appreciate an introduction. Do you know whether she's Flemish or Walloon (quite different day to day approach, apart from speaking another language -> FYI: I'm from Antwerp, which is in Flanders, and I this speak Flemish (sounds like Dutch - but less hard).

Hope to hear from you soon & thanks again for your welcoming words.

Greetings, Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I just return from Santo Antaos to France several days ago.  During my stay, I met several people from Belgium who have been living there for several years. I think I can introduce you to them. I've sent you a message to give you my whatsapp number.

@udomummy I want a male friend who is single and above 50 yrs.i am Zambian lady, single with an 8 year old boy,48 years

@stellaluo6 Hi Sarah,

if you also could me bring in contact with those people from Belgium..

thanks