Driving in Bahrain

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Bahrain? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Bahrain?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Bahrain: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Fundamentally the driving here is very different from back home in UK. Firstly there is no single "local" driving style - but that said, it is in general a lot more manic. Asian drivers are possibly the worst as they seem to feel they can do what they wish, wherever they want - often pulling out right in front of you and then going slowly! Our GCC neighbours are fast and furious; and the Western expats are typically quite sedate for the first few months until they get more familiar with the roads......
Over the past few years I feel that things have changed slightly (for the better) and there is perhaps a bit more politeness around - apart from those Asians! People seem more willing to let one out at junctions, for instance - not always, but more often than before. There is still a lot of speeding and weaving across lanes, but maybe less than before? In general I feel that more people are obeying the rules, but there is still much room for improvement.

Safe driving here is much the same as anywhere else in the world - be aware of everything around you, look ahead and prepare for someone to pull out in front of you. Above all stay calm and remember that the culture here is all about "me first". It isn't meant as a personal attack on you, or your driving, it is just what they do - to everyone.

RASB

Much much much and way more disciplined than the neighbouring country KSA !!

Expats generally have a better standard of driving. They drive with regards to their's & others safety.  The l I cals have very little regard to their own safety & others.  Both Expats & locals....mainly locals use fully their mobile phones whilst driving & manouvering.  I have been involved in 2 accidents.  Both have been caused by locals speeding & using mobile phones whilst driving & them hitting my car from behind.  The locals & some Expats just think they have the right to swerve around to get from A to B as quickly as possible.  They don't think for one second the consequences of their driving.  No need for a licence in Heaven!  The utter devastation caused in the wake.  The shovelling up of blood & body bits & the trauma that is felt by the poor services tasked with the job.  As for the most precious thing in life.....children.  Ones own part of you!  Children are sat on laps whilst driving.....crushed to death in an accident.  Sat on centre rest.....travel on tbrough the windscreen to be shredded on the road in front.  Bahraini airbags....new borns wrapped & placed on the dashboard!   Children in the back not secured in seats......they hit the back of the front seat & with the front person wearing a seat belt,  this causes the front person to be crushed & killed through internal bleeding.  In the UK I was a professional LGV Class 1 driver.  Driving a truck & semi-trailer was a hugely responsible job.  I had to think not just of me but others too.  I am glad I did that job as it helped me have more awareness.   All road users seem to think the trucks on Bahrain roads can just stop, when the cars & vans cut infront & stop. The trucks on Bahrain's roads are a long way from the standards of the EU......some possible should not be on the road, as they appear far from safe.  If you cut a truck up, you become it's stopping aid.  The truck will keep going and the car if not driven over, will be squashed........either way as a car or small van there will be no going home to the family.  You will also be squashed.  The standard of driving in Bahrain is appalling.  The driving instructors leave a lot to be desired & need to have a serious re - training programme.   I have witnessed Learner drivers come out from the driving school with the instructor on the mobile phone.....unacceptable!  Also the instructors have been seen with their feet up on the dashboard. ...unacceptable!  I know of thedress code on head wear, but it should not cause the periferal vision to be hindered. Both ladies & gentlemen should make sure that they have full visibility & head wear is securely tucked behind. Definitely no full faced coverings or just eyes showing.  Both of these stop drivers seeing properly.  No-ones driving is perfect, but by raising standards, awareness & courtesy then it would certainly be a block to build on.

I dont agree with rasb regarding Asians being the worst drivers, your generalizing.

everyday its a different person who cuts me off without a warning or just ignoring the indicators. Bahrain's driving culture has changed a lot over the years especially after the issues we had in 2011, people have lost their cool. Even today when i drive from home to office i see people speaking or texting while driving and ignoring the red, for most its become a habit with a don't care attitude.

The best thing to do is not to react to anyone, be cool, your first preference must be the safety of your passengers and yourself, just ignore the idiots on roads and enjoy your drive.

Driving in Bahrain considered from the best in the Gulf region due to several factors:
1-Good Roads.
2-Little population.
3-Developed Social behavior by Citizens and Expats.

However it is not fair to compare any GCC country with other countries in the middle east due to high demographic mixture, expats from more traffic lawful countries like Euro Zone drive in different way than others from some countries in Asia or Africa.

Other countries in Middle East like Palestine for example having more disciplined driving behavior and less accidents due to more unique driving habits among Palestinians with minimal amount of foreign expats mixture.

However due to different expats backgrounds; the respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess..etc. is average.

You still see people over pass you by right with highly over limit speed and people with rude behavior, beside the lack of basic traffic rules as signs and using the horns.

My advise for good drivers is to keep driving in the right track and with moderate speed to enjoy your trip to the desired destination, trying to be more adventurous or speedy will lead to a clash somewhere at least in your brain!

Another important issue is the parking system and parking places that's need a serious review by the government and attention from the drivers.

Good Luck all and Be safe :)

Driving in bahrain is about police making money. Just like dxb. No respect for proper driving.

logicalindian wrote:

I dont agree with rasb regarding Asians being the worst drivers, your generalizing.

Totally agree with logicalindian !

Not all Asians are same , so stop generalizing !

I find the traffic system way better in Bahrain then Saudi Arabia !

Frankly , the roads are safe in Bahrain until you see plates registered in Saudi Arabia or neighboring GCC staes :happy:

A specific situation seen at al-fateh junction, Juffair-- is that a huge motor vehicle tries to go towards Um-al-hassam from the rightmost , and straight lane instead of going to Adliya, almost hitting the guy going straight to Adliya..have anyone experienced or seen this.'manouver' (sarc)

I agree driving is much better in Bahrain but check at the way police is fleecing people specially expats of their hard earned money. It's the way like dxb.

Okay where shall i start ?  :D

The driving here is appalling? thats an understatement!   :whistle:

When you are trying to join a highway you signal and merge in safely. However, watch out for the driver who purposely will speed up to avoid you merge into the highway.
There's no such thing as give way ( i have mainly seen expats that give you way or who tend to be considerate)

Forget about indicating.. this seems like its optional here!

Watch 'speedy gonzales' driving in the fast lane and then all of a sudden, swerves, cuts into all 3 lanes to take the exit!!  :o

Forget about being considerate towards pedestrians crossing the road or even on a Zebra crossing! Instead, the car is the 1st priority because its in a rush...unbelievable!  :dumbom:

If the hardshoulder is free during heavy traffic, lets use it because we dont deserve to sit in traffic like everyone else!
Ive seen here where cars are approaching a junction and want to turn right. Rather than wait in the line like everyone else, forget this, if there is room on the pavement, lets use regardless of any pedestrians who may be walking!

At traffice lights, in the junction box,  if there's  a yellow grid present, lets ignore it and not keep it clear as i want to get home quick and block traffic!

Most of the drivers here think they are on the Formula 1 track!

Using mobiles while driving and leaving children in the front or back of the car with seatbelts, this seems to be the norm here :blink:

From what ive seen here, Europe has strict driving rules comapred to here. If only more traffic cops were out on the road monitoring bad driving and penalising those offenders, this may prove to be a deterrent.

:sleep

I've driven in many different countries around the world and Bahrain is pretty good actually. The roads are, generally excellent quality and it's pretty easy to get anywhere relatively quickly.

Don't think that just cos someone has Saudi plates that they are going to drive badly. Many expats who work in Saudi have Saudi plates. And because they are used to driving in Saudi, they are particularly good drivers because they handle far worse driving on a daily basis.

Honestly, you guys who think it's bad here should try Papua New Guinea or Saudi or Kuwait or Armenia or Pakistan. There are many more countries where the driving is far more dangerous.

I actually enjoy driving in Bahrain after I come back from Saudi every day  :)