About registering myself legally in country

My name is Paul. Originally from UK, now living in the UAE for the past 7 years & Thailand 2 years previously. I am married to a lovely Hungarian lady & we have recently purchased a property in Debrecen. I have too many questions about importing to Hungary & how to go about registering myself legally in country. Hopefully others can help?

Hello Paul,
                  I also recently bought a property in Hungary,and my Brother lives in Thailand. When You bought the Property,that was your official registration in the Country. The lawyer effected your registration when he filled in your details for the property tax. You should get a bill for the property tax on the purchase which is 4% when you pay it ( I think you have up to 3 months from when the bill arrives} then you are fully registered.

Any more questions? Fire away....

Thanks, that sounds easy! I will conclude the house purchase next week , so will expect a tax bill thereafter. Does registering in country also generate a tax code, as I don't think I will be working in country. As a UK subject I am not taxed on earnings outside the UK but I am not sure how the Hungarian tax rules would treat me?

Hello Paul and Mercurien,

I created a new thread from your posts on the Hungary forum so as you may better exchange.

Cheers,
Bhavna

This is a very important question,so please dont fall into the gullibility trap that many do when misinterpreting the government websites. You only have to register for a tax code if involved with these three schedules.
1. Working for a Hungary Employer.
2. Starting a Self Employed Business in Hungary.
3. Earning rental Income from Hungarian sources.
For the last two schedules you would need a self assessment form,and they will ask you to declare outside sources of income,which could imply double taxation.
If You were letting out a property from a holiday letting site in England,and the income was coming from abroad,you would still not need to register for a Hungary tax code. If you were already registered however,through a previous business,you would then need to declare it.

No registering Your Property and establishing Your self in Hungary does not automatically generate a tax code.
Your Wife can sort you out with the utilities. You will need to sign a contract with the electricity company,internet etc,and water bills are paid at the post office,they will send monthly bills usually in advance and you pay about £8 per month.   If you need any more help you can call me at Skype: star_films  and i can send you files documents,verifications etc on any relevant topic. Dont forget to write down all the important phone numbers,Ambulance,Police,Fire Service etc.

desertbhoy wrote:

too many questions about importing to Hungary & how to go about registering myself legally in country

Do you want to move full time to Hungary and take up residency? Or just about registering your property ownership in Hungary?

I ask as a recent law change now requires most full time residents in Hungary, including many expats, to pay into the national health system, which requires getting a tax ID number even if you do not pay any income taxes in Hungary. In which case it is best to talk to a local Hungarian accountant to see if your specific circumstances will require you to do so.