Driving in Croatia

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Croatia? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Croatia?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Croatia: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

I don't know how to drive yet but as what I have observed many accidents happened during sumMer here in Croatia. A few died, speed driving and motorcycles are the causes. Mostly are foreigners who came for a vacation, its a pity! Peak hours are 8-10am, 5-8pm all year except summer cuz in summer Friday and Saturday  are the peak days regardless of time.

There are all kinds of drivers on the roads. Beware especially at night on the moterway those who do not think the speed limit applies to them. My experience Italians and Germans are the worst. Around Zagreb you get the drivers in mercs and BMW who think they are the best in the world. Around split they believe the road is there's and you should get out of the way. Donkey s is a local name for them. The police have been active on lane discipline in Zagreb, not as much lane swopping as was. Most drivers around the country are easy going but still love to use the horn if they do not think you are fast enough off the lights. Try slovonia , Vukovar etc for laid back driving and life,but watch out for tractor's that just turn in front of you!!!

Croatians are generally impatient at traffic lights if you not already rolling your wheels before the light turns green they honk at you. And living in Rijeka I find all older drivers 40+ have no idea how to enter a freeway on the on ramp. They slow down and come to a complete stop before entering instead of just slowly gliding into on coming traffic. I always keep a safe distance between my car and a RI licence plate car when going on the freeway!

The part of Croatia I mostly drive in has so little traffic that it is difficult to judge the standard of driving. One thing I have noted is that in ice and snow I've not seen any wrecked cars in ditches or whatever. Some of the road junctions do look like accidents waiting to happen though. Often the traffic from a major road has to give way to a minor road joining it. This can catch you out both ways, if you think you are meant to give way and you have right of way or (more scary) if you think you have right of way and you don't.

Not too far off topic is the choice of cars preferred by most drivers in Croatia. There are loads of German cars in Croatia, mainly VW and Audi but also some Mercedes and BMW.  I like the fact that the registration numbers indicate the county in which a vehicle is registered. The Zagreb drivers are usually more pushy and impatient.