Volunteering/job seeking advice (please)

Greetings dear forum folk,

This is my first post (hurrah!) but I'm sure there'll be plenty more to come in the future.

I'm moving to Nairobi with my girlfriend next month (aaargh!) as she has been offered a teaching job, which sounds like a fantastic opportunity.

As I am the 'trailing' partner, as it were, I will be leaving my job here in the UK. I would, therefore, welcome any advice that you could offer regarding job/volunteering prospects out in Nairobi.

If it helps, I have experience in <takes deep breath> geo-environmental consultancy (drilling operations, geological/hydrology stuff), project management, electricity transmission, and health & safety. I've also spent some time in education/classroom environments.

I won't overload the post, so I shall leave it at that. Looking forward to hearing from you  :) 

Many thanks,
Will

Hello Will and welcome on board!

Great introduction :top:

I suggest you drop an advert in our NGO job offers in Nairobi to increase your chances to find a volunteering position.

The Jobs section is where all jobs adverts and proposals directed. So feel free to drop an advert in a field you are looking for.

I invite you to browse the forum by ''Forum Categories'', found on the up right hand side of the screen, so as to gather infos from the place before heading over. :top:

Regards
Kenjee

Hi Kenjee,

Thanks for replying so soon. It's good to see an active forum!

I'll certainly take a look at the jobs/NGO sections, so thank you. 

I could have been slightly clearer in my original post though - could I ask the community to offer any advice/experience/thoughts on the prospect of finding a job once in Nairobi? How practical it is, how to search effectively, etc. I don't want people to think I was just lazily touting for work!

Thanks again,
Will

Hi,  This post is not going to be great news for you, unfortunately.

The first thing that you need to know is that carrying out ANY type of work, including volunteering is illegal in Kenya, without the correct work permit.  The reality is that you are unlikely to be able to easily move to Nairobi, then find work, then obtain the relevant work permit all within the validity period of the normal single entry visitors visa.  You might get away with doing the odd day of volunteering here and there, without a work permit, but anything longer term is inadvisable.  If you are caught, the penalties can be severe.

For paid employment, or longer term voluntary positions, it is the employer that supports the work permit application, as they have to evidence that there is no suitably skilled Kenyan who could fill the role and that there will be training for a Kenyan to do the job long term.   The work permit application can take quite a few weeks, so what normally happens (so Iam told) is that an expat, would secure a job while in their home country, then wait until the work permit has been issued, before moving to Kenya to start work.  Alternatively, get a job, while in Kenya, then move back when the visa runs out and wait for the work permit application process to complete.

Concerning partners; they can apply for a 'Dependents Pass'.  This allows partners to legally remain in Kenya, but they cannot legally work.  The 'Dependents Pass' is normally issued to the non employed half of a married couple and their children (if any).  It could well be very difficult for you to obtain a 'Dependents Pass', as you are not married.  It has also been historically quite difficult for men to obtain this - Kenya is quite a conservative society.  I would strongly advise you to research this, before you give up work and make plans to move.  I have pasted a couple of links below to give you more information on permits and passes.

http://www.immigration.go.ke/Information.htmlhttp://ikm.co.ke/sites/default/files/do … isas_0.pdf

With regard to staying in Kenya on a normal visitors visa, you are generally given an initial 90 days, after which you can apply, at Immigration for a further 90 days, provided you also register 'as an alien'.  After this period, you must leave Kenya, for a short period and apply for a new visa, which begins the cycle again.  You should also note that as of the 1st July 2015, visas should be applied for online at:

https://immigration.ecitizen.go.ke/index.php?id=5

However, you can still obtain one through the Kenya High Commission, or on arrival until the end of August.

Hi Will. there are many volunteering places in Kenya  and especially in children's  homes and schools.It all depends on where you will be staying and the convenience.For a paying job, you must have the permit to work in Kenya.There are various NGOs which have opportunities for foreigners and also for a teaching  job there are many international schools in Nairobi and other big cities and they have vacancies for foreigners, if you get to Nairobi it will be easier to get the information.

Prettyb,  I would not dispute that there are plenty of volunteering opportunities in Kenya.  Unfortunately, for a foreigner, you should have a work permit for ANY work, voluntary or paid.

It is likely that you would get away with doing voluntary work without a work permit, for a while, or by doing a few days in different locations.  However, things are tougher than they used to be and the penalties are higher, if you are caught.

[Moderated]

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Promoting your services is not allowed on the forum. Please resgister in the Nairobi business directory

Hi, I tried to do what you are doing a few years ago. Slightly different I was married to a kenyan citizen. You are not married but it dosent make a lot of difference you wont be allowed to stay more than 6 months. After 3 months  you can apply for a visa extension at the visa office in nairobi and it is quite simple. You must leave the east african community after that . So ethiopia is the nearest country. You are supposed to go back to the UK. The way you apply for a visa changes in september so it gets more complicated. You cant just go across to tanzania and get a visa at the border anymore. I managed to get away with that for a while but it isnt possible anymore. The other thing is you cant work even voluntary if they catch you they will try and extract a huge payment ( bribe) from you. Or send you home after a detention period. You will be told you can get a dependants permit. You cant because you are not married. I am married to a kenyan and I still couldnt get one unless I was prepared to pay a (bribe). I refused and found out later I had been granted the permit but the visa staff wouldnt release it until I paid the bribe I still refused. So I have to go back an forth between kenya and the uk. So you are stuffed if you want to stay with your girlfriend I am afraid. Try and get her to get a job somewhere else. Have fun

I am a Small Business Owner in Nairobi.

I suggest that you look into training for health and safety.
or the drilling thingy with Tullow Oil who could organize a work permit for you.

i cant help with job but volunteering i can.i worked in a childrens orphanage 7yrs in management and volunteered in others,currently am working in a construction company as project manager.if interested when you get here i can contact them and am sure they can welcome you.inbox me ***

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.

Hello everyone,

@Samukakai, i invite you to drop an advert in the Volunteering in Nairobi section of the website. Your offer will be more visible to whoever looking for volunteers.

Best of luck,
Bhavna

Samukakai; unfortunately, the fact remains that for a foreigner, volunteering still counts as 'work' and is therefore against the law, in Kenya, without a work permit.  Although you might get away with it for short periods of time, the longer you do it, the greater the risk of being caught, especially in these times of heightened security.

Further to my previous post (4), where I mentioned the Dependents Pass, I can confirm that this is ONLY available to married couples (for the partner that is not working).