Interested in retiring in Corozal and have a few questions

I am interested in retiring in Corozal and have a few questions.  Would you mind sharing your wisdom.  I take it we "Nortes" live in a enclave style community.  Basic housekeeping questions:  Water safe to drink, bath, cook, clean with?  Sanitation acceptable?  Security and safety acceptable without bars, gates, big vicious dogs, and hired guards with guns?  I've traveled and visited in the Mexican Yucatan: Cancun, Cozumel, Merida, Mexico City, and visited the major Mayan/Aztec sites.  Never been to Belize, wanted to for the diving, but never got around to it. Can you give me your perspective on life and lifestyle...just the steak, not the sizzle.  I already think of the Yucatan region as a much closer Kauai, but far more affordable.

I also would like to have my car transported there...since you did it do you endorse the idea or not?  If you do how did you do it?  I've been thinking of driving across Mexico, but have real concerns about the interior roads, and the local police who have been described as banditos  :o .  Choices are shipping by container, car carrier, or rail?

Thanks   :)

Hi ronnraymore,

since you reacted to an old post from 2013, i created a new topic for you on the Belize forum. You will have more chances of getting feedbacks on this one.

Cheers, :)
Bhavna

not all "nortes" live in conclave/gated style communities.  Many many live among the locals.  I guess my question is always "why move to Belize to live in a US style community"?  Most people use pipe water to bath, brush teeth, wash clothes, wash dishes, shower in, cook with.  Most drink purified water available in 5 gal jugs. Security all depends on what area of Corozal you choose to live in.  We have no burglar bars but do have an 80 lb rott/dobie mix dog, mostly as a doorbell but certainly is a deterrent. We shipped in a vehicle when we first moved here...but have since bought a new vehicle from a dealership and have been happy with the vehicle and the warranty service.

I am on a tight budget and looking to rent a room or a small place for under $400 USD any ideas for me Please?

Thanks, KN from Canada

I know of a very nice efficiency for $350.   there are others people who do short term rentals.   private message me

Thank You  :D

How is the feeling safe in Corozal?  I agree that moving to BZ to live in a US style community is pointless. I enjoy the latin culture, music, food, community, market, etc.  One of the reasons to choose BZ.

I guess the COL here in the KC area is so far below the national COL that 350/mo rental seems like home.  I will be looking for a little fixer-upper, since I am a bit handy and like projects to work on to keep me busy.  The drinking water situation seems the same as for anywhere on the Yucatan except for Cancun (Richie resort). 

A RottDob is certainly an adequate deterrent, I bet he's a real sweetie though...I've known a few and while they can be trained vicious it is not their real nature.  Very smart dogs that are very inquisitive. Two are best since, like small kids, they entertain each other and you don't have to...they hate being bored with nothing to do.

Since the QRP program is bummed how difficult is the citizenship path?

Looking into the means and cost of getting there.  I would like to bring my Prius v but I imaging driving through MX and BZ is irritating.  I doubt an equivalent car is available there.  Flying seems to be difficult from MCI and most seem routed through Miami...bummer! Anyone have a least difficult way to get myself there?

Gracias Amiga :)

I feel safe in Corozal.   I take reasonable precautions.    I know one woman who brought a prius to Belize.   It was a mistake and she shipped it back to the USA.     The vehicle that works the best here is a 4 cylinder SUV.    The streets often have nasty potholes and in the rainy season, the country roads are especially bad.    Gas is expensive,    also, the local mechanics are just not equiped to service the new, computer driven vehicles.

Go to either Kayak or TripAdvisor and check out cheap flights.  I think there are some good prices out of Texas right now.   Otherwise it is out of Miami or Atlanta.  Once you are familiar with the area, I am told that the least expensive is to get a flight into Cozumel, then take the Ado bus to Corozal.  This is a little complicated for me, so I can not share any first hand experience.   The best way to answer all your questions is to come for awhile a week or 6 months and make your own decisions.

Not sure why you think QRP program bummed, but for the residency program you have to remain in Belize for 12 months every 30 days you go to immigration office in your area and have your passport stamped for a further 30 days. The first 6 months the fee for this is 50 BZE dollars each time and the 2nd 6 months the fee is 100BZE dollars per person each time. Within the 12 months you can only leave the country for 14 days in total; if you over stay the 14 days you have to do 12 months from the date you came back.
After 12 months you put in the application papers for your Perminent residency. Once your papers are in you then continue the 30 day immigration stamps(@ 100$BZE) and wait, the time for a decision can be hard if not impossible to predict from 3 to 6 months is the time line suggested by immigration but some folks have been waiting over a year for the decision to come through. It is suspected that older  people who would be elligible for QRP  can wait  a very long time.  From the Belize perspective if you can do the QRP then they Know you are financialy contributing outside funds to the economy every month but as a perminent resident you could feasibly be adidng nothing and possibly taking a job from a local person. Either program has allowances for bringing in personal property duty free different rules for each.

Thanks :)   My Prius v gets about 51 mpg and is new so probably won't need electronics or mechanical for a while.  I appreciate the suggestion to travel via Cozumel.  That is an idea I've got to look into.

A contributor living in BZ informed me the QRP program was recently degraded so it is no longer as desirable.  I've read that BZ has eased the citizenship requirements recently so as to encourage permanent residency.  As I've said, I'm retiring in BZ or MX or wherever I can be comfortable and happy...not here, every day gets more dangerous and expensive while the gov't demands more and more money to support their lawyer tastes and those of their corporate sponsors.  At least in latin America the politicos are honest about being criminals. 

What is the $US to $BZ exchange rate? 

The devil is always in the details, which is why I need intel from the "boots on the ground" in making a choice.  I appreciate your frank details and look forward to more in the future...good contribution.

Not sure what changes in either of the programs for expats are in the air but with the QRP you are not eligible for citizenship with the resident program five years after being granted residency you can apply for citizenship. Definately heard nothing about any easing on the residency program, for some it has seemed  the opposite.
If you have never been here you need to visit. If just for the sake of that poor Prius. When roads are said to be unpaved you must realize most of these will equate to a poor country road elsewhere. and roads off the main routes  often equate to a cart track across a ploughed field.
51mpg is great, Belize is very small even though gas is relativey expensive compared with the US most people drive less miles over a period than in the US.   I seriously doubt your  prius would survive very long and there would be little chance of a mechanic who could work on it. Ok I will  have to admit don't really know the Corozal area so I may be wrong about the quality of the roads in that area, there may be good roads and your prius will love it in which case I will quietly envy an area with such roads.
The exchange rate is pegged at 1US$ gets 2BZe$

Thanks.  I currently live on a county gravel road...having escaped the city.  I understand and need info for the Corozal area.