Bulgarian cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in Bulgaria?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of Bulgaria and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Moussaka!! I am Bulgarian and this is definitely my most favorite dish! It is easy to be made, and extremely tasty. You can find a recipe on the following link:

grouprecipes.com/5844/bulgarian-moussaka.html

Enjoy  :cheers:

Kavarma is my favorite, they have one with chicken or pork, yamayamyam :P

Mixed meat Satch (not sure on correct spelling?)
I am a big old boy that can put away his food, but this dish will slow down the appetite of many munching machines!
Chicken, Pork, Bacon, Sausage, served in a clay pot with veggies, Potato, Tomato, Peppers, Onion, etc... not for a light bite!!

Tripe soup and grilled pork ears.  In my opinion, Bulgaria's best dishes.

I am studying to become a chef and will be in bulgaria in a month and would like to try new recipes.moussaka looks and i am sure tastes delicious too.it basically is a variety of a pie i guess and the ingredients are very interesting.i read a few places that it originated in greece.but i guess these conflicts happen with most of the dishes.indians and british fight about who discovered Chicken tikka masala which is like the fav dish in both the countries.

There are many recipes that mirror another countries dishes.
In Greek cuisine there's a lovely dish called " Stifado " where in Bulgaria the dish is " Monks stew "
Casseroles seem to most have a certain tweak of herb, or spice that makes it unique to their own countries.
I have had some great dishes and never gone hungry! Yes I am aware of the Brit's chicken tikka v an authentic Indian one, all goes back to the days of the Empire, I wonder how many Brit's sit down to a kedgeree for breakfast though.  ;)
Good luck with your new venture.
Regards Steve.

Turkey also has an excellent take on moussaka--- I can't decide if I like the Bulgarian or Turkish version better. (The turkish version is much soupier). Within Bulgaria there are variations on it, as well... the Plovdiv region is known for a very dry style of moussaka that is basically just the meat, potatoes, spices, and cream, without the tomato base... it is excellent if the right meat is used in it.

As far as I know Moussaka is a Greek dish and isn't Bulgarian

As long as Bulgarians claim it to be theirs, then it is Bulgarian. Is it also greek? Yep, and Turkish. There are multiple countries that lay claim to particular foods, and even if it originated in one or the other, once it has been so thoroughly adopted into one country--- and ADAPTED to fit their traditional food, then it is theirs.

We love shopska salad followed by chicken coated in cornflakes served with a garlic yoghurt dip. We also have polenka which is a form of garlic bread. Absolutely delicious and one of our favourites.

Satch (сач) is my favorite one and is to die for ! It is made out of chicken, liver, mushrooms and porky stuff mixed with some vegetables and is presented in a special dish.... (picture on  - grabo.bg/sofia/sach-i-vino-0nrugn)

Dober apetit !!

WOW :) thanks all for your BG cuisine suggestions,,am making notes of dishes,,can,t wait to try :) only been living here 4 months,so fairly new,,Kind Regards eddie,,,what a brilliant website :)