Safety in Italy

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Italy?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Italy and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Concerning safety it will be also needed to know with wich city we want to compare.
Personally I feel more safe in Italy than Paris but less safe to compare with Moscow

Arrigo14 wrote:

Concerning safety it will be also needed to know with wich city we want to compare.
Personally I feel more safe in Italy than Paris but less safe to compare with Moscow

Welcome to the forum.

This thread does not mention any specific city but does ask for information about the city you live in.

Here in Rome, I feel extremely safe. There is a good bit of petty crime (pick-pocketing, etc.), but random violent crime is extremely rare. I've walked through the "worst" neighborhoods at 2 a.m. and never felt in danger. Then again, I come from South Florida where people walk into grocery stores with guns...legally. So I guess it's a matter of perspective. But in general, the statistics show clearly that you're MUCH safer in Italy's cities than in any random city in the US.

Hahaha last year I lost my pant,mobile,watch  ,wallet  . It was a festival. I just walk with my shoulder bag 🎒, and suddenly I feel 0 , and I lost everything. Padova.italy.

Italy is incredibly safe. I've never once in my entire experience in Italy felt even the slightest hint of fear for my safety. That's something I certainly cannot say for America. Italians in general are very peaceful people in my experience.

Hello Christine,

We visit Italy every year but closer to Genoa area and I have never felt so safe. Currently we live in South Africa which is a really scary place so it is a pleasure to go to Italy and be able to walk around late at night without feeling threatened or unsafe. We are moving to Italy in January 2016 and I cant wait to be able to sleep at night without having one ear open and jumping at every sound.

Hi,
My husband and I are retired and we have a vacation home in a village of about 500 people.We spend about 5-6 mos. a year there. Generally I feel entirely safe both day and night.  That having been said, I would not take foolish risks either. I would not get into a car with someone I didn't know.  I would not walk a long distance alone after dark. I would not let someone I didn't know into my home if I were alone. I am careful with my personal information and I lock my doors at night. There is potential, however small, for angry unbalanced people anywhere. Weapons are available and we have an entire generation desensitized to violence by mass media, movies and electronic games. In our village, I do not dwell on negative thoughts.  I enjoy every minute of our lives here. I relish the sunny days, the flowers, the mountains around us, the pure water and air and above all the warmth of the Italian people. It is our good fortune to count them as friends and neighbors.
I am sure that there are different experiences in the large cities and other parts of the country, but we are at peace here,
SLH43

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not share personal contact infos on a public forum.

We live in  Lunigiana and generally feel safe enough. However, we were just burgled two nights ago while we were sleeping in our beds. Like so many other people we slept with our windows open because of the heat. This was a mistake as the thief(s) managed to clime 4 meters up to the window lift up the mosquito net and enter. Quite a loss in terms of loot but we have learned the hard way not to keep windows open at night.
This was our second burglary but the most unpleasant one as we were home with the thief(s) going through our drawers etc.
So be careful, the food is good the sun shines but there is an increasing amount of stealing and burglaries in Italy - avoid the complacency that we displayed and heat or not don't sleep with your shudders and windows open,
Best
Gunnar

I'm in the chieti region of Abruzzo and have never felt unsafe here. Yes we have petty crime, mostly opportunist but nothing major. Walking around alone at any time of day or night never is a problem as people here are generally very friendly and will say hello to strangers. It's certainly a more relaxed life here with less fear than in the centre of the UK I like my neighbours very rarely lock my car up and often leave the windows down to keep it cooler. Some people in my town never lock their doors, I do however as before moving here full time we were burgled by a gang of Romanians that had travelled to our area to house break. They broke into sevral house then made the mistake of breaking into my neighbour's house, he has 4 large Abruzzese sheep dogs, they detained the gang until the police arrived and thankfully they were all arrested and those that didn't get a prison term have been expelled from Italy.

I'am living in Vicenza.I whould Like living this city.because of this city security Systems are  ferfect.sometimes we can heared bad news.there are persones who wear thiefs.i think this case is in Italia; because of  economy problemes everywear.however this city has style ferfect security.l whould Like to thanks goverment.

I have lived in three different places in Italy. The safest I felt was in Chiesa in Valmalenco a small town in the mountains where walking alone at night was never an issue and leaving my apartment unlocked was okay. However petty crime has found its way to the small town. I've never really felt at ease in Milan late night when I'm alone. Am now living in Cusano Milanino, a few minutes drive of Milan and I feel safe whatever time of night or day

Hi. I live in Calabria in Crotone. I'm one of the only Americans I know here. It's extremely safe. I feel very comfortable even walking late at night.  All my girlfriends here feel the same. Naples, however, you have to watch out for the pickpockets. I have heard nothing of gun violence.

I wrote on a post on this a few months ago.  Italy is a safe country, but pick pockets are big...here are some suggestions on staying safe:

vinovitaviaggi.com/2015/07/10/staying-safe-in-italy/

Until Nov last year, I think Italy especially Turin is a safe city. However, someone broke-in my apartment in one morning in November 2014 when we not around. We lost our jewelries and valuables. The police are not helpful and I would rather say they do nothing to capture the burglar. I went few times to the police station after that incident and each time I was there, there are always victims  queuing to report either lost of wallets, house-breaking or being robbed.

It's very difficult for the police to figure out such an intruder, put it depends on the people that leave's around that area, I think any body that came to your house and stole proper ties have to sell them to make money, I can give an idea on what you or the police should do, because i have face a situation like that once, i don't know if the idea will work hear in italy,

The standard response to burglary in the USA is to use an electronic security system and to install a house safe with an unbreakable lock. The security system tends to cost about 25$ per month. It is also hooked up to the fire alarm, (to alert the firestation) so that is helpful. And, if you have house insurance, having the security system will give a discount! And, the house insurance will cover burglary!

So my question to you is : how easy is it to get these things in Italy? Can you easily buy a house safe? They are for sale here at local Mall Outlets. Average cost is about 100$. Can you easily get house insurance? Can you easily get a security system? If an American moves to Italy, does that mean that you have to order these things from abroad?

You can buy security kits at the mall, but average cost is not around €100, and i really can't tell about quality.
A double frequency wireless control unit can be found for €150-€300 with some sensors, unless you find some particular deal. You can have a look on amazon IT or by googling "sistemi di allarme" to have a good idea of prices available in Italy

You can also have an house insurance that covers burglary, and it's supposed to get lower if you have an alarm system: i know that because I've been proposed one last year by my agent. I kindly rejected because it added costs I wasn't able to bear at the moment. Again you can have a look to some online companies in Italy offering such services by googling "Assicurazioni sulla casa, furto e incendio". Some of them provides online quoting tools, but you're usually required to give some personal details, an email, and your address.