My experience renting from Europcar in Costa Rica

EUROPCAR REVIEW:   :mad:

Just wanted to give some info on renting a car in costa rica. This is just based on my own experience, having rented a half dozen times or so, and so feel free to add your own experience or challenge anything you think is incorrect here.I have used Budget, Avis and Europcar in the past, maybe a couple others that I can't remember.
My best experience has been with Budget which I've used 2-3 times, but it seems they don't have great reviews so maybe I was just lucky.

I used Europcar this time and it was the most confusing and frustrating and unpleasant experience I've ever had renting a car.

Let me count the ways...

1) figuring out their insurance options was totally confusing online, particularly how to use my Visa rental insurance coverage for collision and theft and not have to pay so much for Europcar's insurance. Hard to explain but basically their site is very confusing about these options. I asked questions and none of the answers were clear. So I ended up having to pay for Full coverage (zero deductable) because they explained that otherwise I would be taking great risk. I think there was a way to minimize my insurance and NOT be taking great risk but I think they did not want to explain this option to me and so pushed me into buying zero deductible. I tried to sort it out myself with the credit card people but what they said did not gel with what Europcar said.

2) Europcar is very hard to find. Even if you see it on the map, that area is confusing to get to. Even the taxi driver had trouble following the directions they gave him to arrive there. Then when I came back to turn in my car (coming from the opposite direction) it was still hard to get to. The major rental companies across from the airport are much easier to get to - there's even a sign to show you!

3) When I got to Europcar that day to pick up my car I arrived on time but still, I had to wait AN HOUR AND A HALF to get my car. Why? They lost the key to my car and instead of ordering a spare from the main office right away, they waited an hour before doing so. Why? I have no idea. Guess they didn't want to admit to the main office they'd bone-headedly lost or misplaced the key and I had to suffer for it. It only took 15 min or so to get the key after they sent for it, but it took them an hour and fifteen minutes to decide to do that.

This brings up several issues:
a) why don't they have a spare on hand there at that office?
b) why don't they have a System in place to keep track of keys - which, it seems to me, should be their #1 priority
c) why didn't they order a spare key from the main office immediately to prevent a review like this (i.e.; #1 should be keeping customers happy by not making them wait an hour and a half to get a car they've already paid for a month in advance

Okay, so I wasted an hour and a half of my vacation at Europcar. Big deal, right? Well, yes, it was a big deal. It was stupid and unnecessary and showed a lack of customer service and a lack of organization.

By the way, the bigger version of the Daihatsu Bego 4wd: Never get this one! It has ZERO power in 2nd gear and I had to go up every major hill in 1st gear only. I had used the smaller Terios before and it was fine going up the same hills in 2nd gear. I guess the bigger one may have the same small engine and so cannot get up the hills as well for that reason. I'm not sure why, I only know the bigger one was lousy to drive.

Okay so I had my car and I could only hope when I returned it, I'd have a better experience.
WRONG!

When I got there, on time, to return the car, there were 2 people in front of me. "Great!" I thought... But no...
The woman in the front of the line said she'd been waiting a long time and was very frustrated with Europcar.
Uh oh...
Everyone there seemed to be frustrated with Europcar. In fact I forgot to mention the day I had my problem with them losing the key to my car, another couple was there who were returning a car and they were frustrated with them too as it took an inordinately long time to return their car. I saw them there at least half an hour.

Let me note here that both when I picked up my car and when I dropped it off there were basically only 2 people working the desk/paperwork part of this operation. They clearly need at least 3 and should have 4. Budget had 3 or 4 the last time I rented.

So the woman at the front of the line continued to wait at least another 15 min. after I got there. When she finally got waited on I could hear she had some problem with them surrounding her credit card and I kept hearing her say "This is the credit card I used, I only have one!" So I don't know what the issue was but she was still there with them when I left... They kinda ruined her day I would say.

Meanwhile I also got waited on and in all it took me about half an hour to get out of there. That's not TOO bad but really, all they have to do is inspect the car and let me go on my way, so why should it take more than 10 minutes?
At Budget, last time I used them, it did only take 10 minutes plus it took only 15 or so to pick up my car.

In conclusion, Europcar gave me a lousy rent-a-car experience from the time I reserved my car on their confusing web site to the time I had to spend picking it up when they lost the key to my car (NO other key on file! NO other car to give me??), to the time I turned it back in, in the same condition it was in when I got it (except for dirtier).

Cost:
$717 for 11 days or $65/day
with supposedly zero deductible - whether it really would have been zero deductible had I damaged the car or other property, who knows? Thank goodness I did not have to find out.

I will never rent from Europcar again - you can make your own decision based on my and others' reviews.

When renting a car or truck or SUV in Costa Rica do not be influenced by the daily price of the rental. That is not what is important. What is important is the final amount you will pay with insurance per day. It seems - as far as I can tell - that the rental companies can charge what they want for insurance and so the rate varies quite a bit for various levels of coverage. Full coverage at one company may cost more than full coverage at another.

Not getting full coverage is like playing craps. With the bad roads and bad drivers in Costa Rica, no matter how good of a driver you are you might get run off the road or hit and it might be considered your fault so in my opinion full coverage is the way to go in spite of the exorbitant cost. So when you get quotes, compare them with the cost of full coverage/zero deductible.

Also the roads often have huge axle-damaging speed bumps that are not well marked or huge holes in the roads. Another issue is that when they do mark one ways or no turns in a clear manner (which isn't always the case) they do it differently than we do and you may not see the signs. So it's really much riskier driving in Costa Rica than in the USA. Get as much insurance as you can.

I would be EXTREMELY cautious about posting such a public negative review.  Libel and slander (not saying you are doing either) can lead to a world of hurt.  Better to wait until someone asks a question and then reply privately.
DISCLAIMER - - - - - - my opinion only.

I appreciate what you are saying... but I was careful to make it clear it is my opinion, my REVIEW,  and I was careful to state that everything I said was a fact (the waiting, the loss of a key, the being hard to find, the lack of staff, etc).

As far as I know, opinions and reviews of companies based on user experience are not subject to slander laws. Europcar may be a fine company but my experience with them was not at all good.

If there is an attorney who knows anything about this I will listen. But aren't sites like yelp and amazon and etc based on user reviews and aren't user reviews protected in a forum such as this as well? I have not said they cheated anyone nor committed any crime, only that their service sucked for me and others I observed when I was there.

You know ..... it is hard to try and help someone who does not want to be helped.  You state a number of very exact quotes, times, and experiences that only you can support.  I REALLY don't care what happens to you.  Best of luck.

"Also the roads often have huge axle-damaging speed bumps that are not well marked or huge holes in the roads. Another issue is that when they do mark one ways or no turns in a clear manner (which isn't always the case) they do it differently than we do and you may not see the signs. So it's really much riskier driving in Costa Rica than in the USA. Get as much insurance as you can"  as you wrote on an earlier post, detailing a previous experience with another car rental company, so you knew beforehand, what to expect, as you have stated  you have lived and driven here, many times.

kohlerias wrote:

"Also the roads often have huge axle-damaging speed bumps that are not well marked or huge holes in the roads. Another issue is that when they do mark one ways or no turns in a clear manner (which isn't always the case) they do it differently than we do and you may not see the signs. So it's really much riskier driving in Costa Rica than in the USA. Get as much insurance as you can"  as you wrote on an earlier post, detailing a previous experience with another car rental company, so you knew beforehand, what to expect, as you have stated  you have lived and driven here, many times.

Yes I knew that roads are bad and insurance is required if you want to avoid possible charges for the damages to the car you rent.
Not sure what your point is.
My point was simply that insurance costs seem to vary from company to company and that some companies make it easier to choose which insurance you need. i.e. if you have a credit card that covers theft and collision you are told not to get the rental co's theft and collision. However at Europcar they told me I did need to get their collision or I would not be fully covered so it was confusing.
Also some companies seem to have a better service in terms of getting you in and out of their office when you rent and when you return the car, so I thought my review would be helpful.

Sometimes I wonder what it is people think forums are for, if not to share info?

Terry, I appreciate your trying to help. I just don't agree with you that one is not allowed to write one's opinion re whether a service is good or not and why it's not - in my opinion. Isn't that's what forums are for? Everything I said was factual and I am not intending to hurt anyone, I am intending to help people choose the best rental car company and to help Europcar by explaining how they could improve their service.

I found this on a Costa Rica attorney's site: "Libel is to publish in print or otherwise broadcast an untruth with the intention to harm a person. "

If you have any links or info showing how what I wrote is "libel" please share, that would be very helpful.

Oh SanRamon, you will never survive if you use "that" word in Costa Rica - WHY.  My daughter and I always joke, "never ask why."  Things are the way they are here and they will most likely never change.  You have no choice but to adapt and accept the insane little things that go on around you.

- Expat Dave

Dave Thanks for the reminder!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-A1L_ickUo

Hello Samramon,

If you wonder why Canadian's show a fear of expressing themselves openly, it's because Canada now has a police state government who has stripped its citizen's of their basic right to free speech an expression.  In Canada even patriotic citizens who express their views about how excessive immigration is destroying the country are now classified as racists by government, I'm not joking, and that is one of the main reasons I left that country.  So, if you come across a Canadian who is afraid to speak their minds about anything "even if it's the truth" you'll now know why.

Hello Expat Dave, I think this video explains exactly what you are saying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tgOfqM94SE

Hmmmmmm .... another video from another unsubstantiated source.  Please folks, beware of what you read.  Ask for a REAL informational link.  It is so easy so be deceived or misinformed by posts that have no validity.

Edward1958 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-A1L_ickUo

Hello Samramon,

If you wonder why Canadian's show a fear of expressing themselves openly, it's because Canada now has a police state government who has stripped its citizen's of their basic right to free speech an expression.  In Canada even patriotic citizens who express their views about how excessive immigration is destroying the country are now classified as racists by government, I'm not joking, and that is one of the main reasons I left that country.  So, if you come across a Canadian who is afraid to speak their minds about anything "even if it's the truth" you'll now know why.

I think it's more or less the same in the US now but it's more "political correctness" in the US than actual censorship or branding by the government.

I do appreciate that Costa Rica has libel laws and that it could be bad for me to write a negative review of a company doing business in CR. However I just cannot believe that they would go so far as to sue me or otherwise punish me for writing an honest review of a business.

I would not write bad stuff about an individual who wasn't a public figure, that's a whole other ball of wax.

Hopefully CR hasn't become as politically correct or sue-happy as the USA. But even in the USA it is rare to hear of anyone being sued for writing a review of a business. Just read yelp or some other business review sites to see what I mean. Yelp makes tons of money (I assume) by providing a place for people to review businesses, and the majority of pages have extremely harsh reviews.

Another work that shouldn't be used here is 'always..'.

The Travelcostaricanow videos being presented are being created by two men who have lived in Costa Rica for nine years.  Michael and D'Angelo have never been known to tell lies in their videos, nor have they ever sugar coated any conditions that exist in Costa Rica.  Their videos have millions of viewers around the world, and are so well respected that they now have commercials in front of all of their videos.  There is no other source of "truthful information" than
Travelcostaricanow.    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Travel-C … 2245651802

TerrynViv,  You people should be ashamed of yourselves, by trying to hide the truth about living conditions etc. in Costa Rica, in an attempt to lure people down here.  Doing that seems so un-Canadian.  Are you involved in real estate sales?  Is that the reason you do not want the truth being told?  What are the reasons for your desires to sugar coat everything?  Your next door neighbour could be mugged and robbed, and  you'd never come into this sight and tell anyone.

Your last crop must have been a potent one Edward!

If conditions are so bad Edward, why are you, a perpetual tourist, still living here?

Saying everything that is posted by Michael and D'Angelo is the truth, is just like saying Bart Simpsons word  is gospel... :lol:

Hello Cupofcoffee -  I am living in Costa Rica because the conditions here are better than in Canada.  I might point out some of the negative things about Cost Rica "but only because so many expats refuse to expose them to people considering moving down here".  I LOVE COSTA RICA.  Canada has become a multicultural cess pool which is controlled by a police state government, and down here people live a happier life.  There are no mosques down here, and the Costa Rica government does not pander to desires of immigrants "and I love that".

If anyone ever sees lies being told in Michael and D'Angelo's Travelcostaricanow videos, I sure like to know about them.  Even TripAdvisor is now using their videos, as everything they provide is true and factual.

OK...so "where are the facts that say 80% leave the country within a year?" Provide them.

Hello Cupofcoffee - I will do some research and try to find more information on what percentage of North Americans throw in the towel and go home "Like even Andy and Fran eventually did".  Even if it is as low as 50% as Samramonon has claimed, that is still a high percentage, and the reasons are clearly indicated in one of these videos. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So_2yOemch0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC_ysmcUCko

50% is very different from 80% .  'Andy & Fran' stayed more than a year, didn't they? And accordingly, they did state that it was due to a specific medication that was not available in Costa Rica, that they did return, plus they were now eligible for Medicare...or at least one of the main reasons. I did not read their blog nor any others...but was made aware of their departure by a friend of theirs.

Everyone leaves for different reasons, our good friends left because they could no longer survive on their Social Security incomes, the rising cost of living here caught up with them, especially the cost of electricity, and an increase in their CAJA premiums.  http://insidecostarica.com/2014/08/04/n … stay-visa/

"Michael and D'Angelo have never been known to tell lies in their videos"
"Up to 80% of North American's who move to Costa Rica end up leaving."
" Over 75% of all expats return to their home country in less than a year,"
OK .... time to up the ante, all three are quotes of posts of yours Edward so I have three questions as you say you have NEVER lied on this forum:
1)  I have numerous instances of people here calling Bullchit on Michael and D'Angelo posts.  How would you ever know they have not told lies or misled people?  Cupacoffee is so right in saying that your belief in them is gospel and his belief is in Bart Simpson is gospel, any chance you can see the analogy?
2) "Up to 80% of North American's who move to Costa Rica end up leaving."  Very true ....... up to 80% could be 5% so not a lie just you doing your thing.
3) " Over 75% of all expats return to their home country in less than a year," Cupacoffee already called you on this, give us FACTS !!!

I can only hope that one of these "facts" that you site for people leaving Costa Rica will include you.

In luxury development called Costa Del Sol, which is close to us... 75% or more of all the nice homes in that development are for sale, and most being used as rentals until owners can find buyers.  Part of the exodus from Costa Rica is because the CAJA premiums for those with decent pension incomes have gone as high as $700. per month, which is insane for a Canadian that has had free health care all of his life.  The cost of electrical power in Costa Rica (to keep full size homes cool) is the highest in Latin America, with many people paying about $500. per month.  There are simply too many other countries to retire in, which are a lot less expensive, so why stay in Costa Rica, "where the import taxation on something as simple as a refrigerator if over 80%"? , and cars may just be the most expensive in the world, next to Saudi Arabia.  It seems impossible to find a site which can provide an exact figure on how many North American's fail in their attempts to live full time in Costa Rica, but I will keep searching for that information.  A realtor in Belize claims that nearly half of his clients are couples who have sold their homes in Costa Rica, and have decided to relocate to that country, with the cost of living being the main factor.
http://retireforlessincostarica.com/why … osta-rica/

You are making my point !!!  Again another post without any substantiation.  Thank you !  Your quote about electrical cost is great !!!  We paid on the average of $200 CDN a month in Canada.  Here we are about $60USD.  You say it is impossible to find a site with the figures that you quote but you keep spewing figures <lol>  Head north Edward ...... you fit right in with what your complaints are of Canada.  Read your posts ..... "up to" "as high as"  AGAIN no substantiation and you shoot yourself in the foot when you talk about Belize as we researched it big time before we headed south after Mexico.  Perhaps you would be good enough to explain why you are not a resident of Costa Rica and still complain?  Would it not be easier to just leave?  {Sorry Canada}

Since I started this thread I apparently have the right to close it down but I'd prefer not to.
So all I'll say is, please don't use my thread for personal attacks and bickering amongst yourselves.
Civil disagreement is one thing, discussion is one thing, and bickering and name calling is another.

I hate getting emails that say i have a new post in my thread that I figure just *might* actually relate to my original post ... and then I come here and just find people fighting with each other over stuff that has nothing to do with renting a car.
(to be honest I don't mind people going "off topic", I just mind people fighting with each other in every thread.)

I HAD CONTACTED A REAL ESTATE AGENT IN JACO REGARDING HIS OPINION ON WHAT PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE DO NOT MAKE IT IN COSTA RICA.  I HAVE CUT AND PASTED HIS REPLY FOR YOU.

Hello Ed,

Good to hear from you again.  Janet and I bumped into your wife at the Jaco market a few weeks back, but she was with a few Tica women so we didn't have much opportunity to talk.  Thank you for suggesting that I could provide you with an expert opinion. I must say that I do not think anyone really keeps statistics on what percentage of people return to the states.  Based on my experience I'd have to say it would be in the area of seven out of every ten, which is really the reason why we have a continual flow of business.  In most cases it's the wife missing the grandchildren, or the couple being frustrated with the language barrier, and in some cases it's the many weeks of rain in most parts of Costa Rica.  I think they are the most common reasons.

You mention the high cost of electrical power here:  It appears that the Costa Rica government has financed an advanced electrical generating system from a foreign company, a so called Green System.  The payments for this new system are astronomical, so the costs per kw for those who use AC is much higher that it is back in the states.  The answer to  your question is yes, many retirees go into shock when they see how much it costs to keep their newly purchased retirement home cool.  Example:  One  home which normally rented out for $1,200 per month, was given to a couple for only $800. per month.  When the electric bills came in at $500. per month, the renter came after me and claimed I should have informed him of what it would cost to keep the home cool.

In regards to your question on tourism;  We are still getting a lot of first time tourists, and some repeat tourists as a result of the Monkey Bar and legal prostitution here, but many tourists become disillusioned with the high cost of vacationing here in Costa Rica.  Example: To rent an ATV is $250. per day, which is of course absolutely insane.  Sorry I could not provide you with published information on the percentage of people who return to the states, but I have provided you with a few websites which substantiate the information I have provided.  Rental rates have dropped nearly 50% over the past two years, so if you know of anyone who needs a rental be sure to let me know.

Come visit some day,  Michael

http://www.ticotimes.net/2011/02/04/why … ca-so-highhttp://axrjaco.net/jaco-beach-rentals/r … -specials/https://plus.google.com/117404365697029 … PTeW7KKpgjhttp://www.energyeconomics.cr/why-is-el … osta-rica/

So now you are asking for our Cedula numbers... LOL

While I do certainly do understand the mass exodus from Jacó ... and would 'guess' that most of this supposedly, 80% that are leaving, would be 'seasonal tourists or snowbirds' as I mentioned in a previous post.

Hello everyone,

I would like to remind you that the forum is not meant to promote bickering and hostility, personal attack is a no no.

I would advise you to discuss on the current matter at hand i.e my experience renting from Europcar in Costa Rica.

And please do refer to this  : COSTA RICA FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT

Thank you for your cooperation,
Gavind.
Expat.com Team.

This is a simple explanation why Costa Rica is more expensive than other Central American countries.
http://thecostaricanews.com/the-real-re … ices/23026

The person who created this link would never tell a lie.
http://thecostaricanews.com/the-real-re … ices/23026

Good morning,
I have a new question today. Can anyone give me any info on getting auto insurance?
A good Company to use. I know that insurance is also expensive too.
Thanks,

Mike

We pay INS $386.79 every six months for their top of the line insurance on a 2009 Hyundai Tucson

My experience with Europcar in Spain, Okinawa and Mexico was just the opposite.  In both countries, I rented through the hotels  where I was staying and got a nice discount.  In Spain, I took the car down down narrow alleys and in one instance, the metal grill on the window of a building scrapped the passenger side mirror off the car.  When I left the car in the Airport, the office was closed.  I was billed only for the basic rental fee.  In Okinawa, driving on the "wrong" side of the road had me disoriented and I hit a guard rail on the left side of the car, leaving a crease in the sheet metal from from bumper to rear bumper.  When I returned the car, not a word was said about the damage.  Overseas, I'm much more comfortable renting with full coverage.

I live in Mexico now and will be renting a car for 10 days to 2 weeks shortly.  I'll call Europcar, Hertz, Avis (Budget isn't available) and get quotes with full coverage.

TerrynViv wrote:

We pay INS $386.79 every six months for their top of the line insurance on a 2009 Hyundai Tucson

That seems quite high to me - is that 0 deductible? 1 driver or two?
I would have expected it to be closer to half that much. I guess everything in  Costa Rica is going up.

gudgrief wrote:

My experience with Europcar in Spain, Okinawa and Mexico was just the opposite.  In both countries, I rented through the hotels  where I was staying and got a nice discount.  In Spain, I took the car down down narrow alleys and in one instance, the metal grill on the window of a building scrapped the passenger side mirror off the car.  When I left the car in the Airport, the office was closed.  I was billed only for the basic rental fee.  In Okinawa, driving on the "wrong" side of the road had me disoriented and I hit a guard rail on the left side of the car, leaving a crease in the sheet metal from from bumper to rear bumper.  When I returned the car, not a word was said about the damage.  Overseas, I'm much more comfortable renting with full coverage.

I live in Mexico now and will be renting a car for 10 days to 2 weeks shortly.  I'll call Europcar, Hertz, Avis (Budget isn't available) and get quotes with full coverage.

I don't think the problem is with "Europcar" per se. It may be more of a management problem with this particular office in Costa Rica, and maybe - hopefully - they have fixed it by now. I will never know unless someone I trust tells me, because I'll never rent from then again. Ever.

Not sure what the deductible is but it is for two drivers.  They have two policies available and we relied on three people already here for years as to which one to choose and all three said the more comprehensive policy was worth it.  I honestly did not research it to death but relied on my three friends.  That was also before our Spanish became passable.

TerrynViv wrote:

Not sure what the deductible is but it is for two drivers.  They have two policies available and we relied on three people already here for years as to which one to choose and all three said the more comprehensive policy was worth it.  I honestly did not research it to death but relied on my three friends.  That was also before our Spanish became passable.

Thanks for the info. I am right now starting to research it. Maybe I'll start a thread on it.
My friend did tell me that buying theft insurance was not very good. He didn't go into detail. But that's what I wanted it mostly for right now - theft - because I wanted to buy a car and park it there in a hopefully-safe-location for a few months (because I heard about a good deal on a used car).

I will start a new post ...