Safety in Switzerland

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Switzerland?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Switzerland and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Switzerland is as safe as its reputation predicts. Criminality rate is low and social control relatively high, particularly in the countryside.
There are no explicit "very dangerous and unsafe" places to go during day or night - nevertheless it is always good to use your common sense and keep valuables in a safe place, particularly in busy places like railway stations, shopping centres, at events, in city centers and at places with a lot of tourists.

A completely different thing is nature: the mountains are beautiful and invite for walking, hiking and winter sports. Nevertheless, they can be dangerous, particularly in bad weather. Weather can change quickly and one should always be prepared for bad weather, even on the most beautiful summer days. The mountains can be remote and it may be difficult to find you if you are in trouble. Always tell someone (at your hotel, hostel, b&b, camping...) where you are going and when you expect to be back if you're going on a hike. It is better not to go alone on long or remote hikes: if you slip away and break a leg or have another accident, it is good to have somebody around who can organise help and take care of you.

Switzerland is an overall safe country; however now in big cities (Geneva) we suffer from criminality as any other big city. Apartments are hacked for jewerly and fast cash and phones and wallet are often taken discreetly away from their owners.

I feel very safe compared to Mexico (obviously) and I love walking everywhere and have never felt insecure or endangered. At night you have to be more careful and avoid certain streets, however in most cases you can do it without a problem.

****** however in general we feel very safe here.

Moderated by Stéphanie 8 years ago
Reason : Please don't generalize

I live in a village of 6,000 in Canton Zurich and feel very safe here.  Although living in the US all of my life (65 years) I have never been robbed.  But here I have had someone steal from me twice already.  Once in Zurich (Wiedkion) where I felt safe and once at a Migros store.  So now when I am on trains and mainly in the bigger cities, I am much more careful of holding my purse tight close to me. The first time I had a pick pocketer steal from me I actually saw this young woman about 2 meters behind walking away but never felt a thing that she had her hand in my backpack.  So Switzerland is not that safe anymore, yet I feel quite safe, especially where I live.  Just keep property tight next to you.

Any other big city??? That is not true....Geneva may be not so calm...but "like any other big city"...First of all Geneva is a small but cosmopolitan city. It has less than 200'000 people. how can you say it's a big city? not even for Swiss standards.

Sorry but I don't agree Geneva being dangerous or unsafe. Maybe*********..but not often and, thanks God, it will change as soon as the new law coming next year to close our border will reduce it.

Moderated by Stéphanie 8 years ago
Reason : Please don't generalize

Hi I have lived in Switzerland for 14 years I have never had any problems,I walk my dog at 2am, I've got night trains back from Zurich at 5am alone!
The trains are where you may have trouble.. But police do go on the trains and Zurich police are extremely difficult especially if your not European.
My children walk to and from kindergarten which is normal here.
I have never felt any threat maybe because I am more aggressive than any Swiss 😀

I agree this is a sensitive subject...but since asked here goes.  :unsure
I've lived in the Basel region of Switzerland for well over 30 yrs. and have seen big changes in that time, both demographically with large numbers of newcomers from SE Europe and third-world countries coming in, but also the general behaviour of the Swiss youth who have become louder, more prone to alcohol misuse and as a consequence generally more likely to get "stroppy".
The use of guns and knives among some people in 'downtown' areas of Basel to settle family issues and conflicts between criminal elements has become an occasional subject of local news reporting. This was virtually unknown in the days when I first came to Basel.
Social tension is also regularly caused because some newcomers (who are mostly male) are not familiar with Swiss customs and behaviour and seem to believe that local females dressing up attractively and 'showing some flesh' are the equivalent to whores on the make. As an example, as of recently trains in the Zürich region have introduced seating reserved for females to give them a feeling of not being too close up to strange men.
Crime, mostly in the form of pick-pocketing, drug peddling and breaking into residential houses has increased massively over this time period. That said there always was a certain amount of house breaking-in which the Swiss public put down to criminal-tourists from across the French border very often using young children dropped through small or barred windows to open doors for adults. The equivalent German word for "gipsies" was often used to describe them. However, nowadays house break-ins are often organised by gangs often believed to be from south-eastern European countries.
Many areas of 'downtown' Basel have more-or-less been deserted of the native Swiss and are now populated by 'new' Swiss and foreigners. Like me many people who can manage it have moved out of Basel-Town to the countryside surrounding Basel.
However, to put this into context I still get the impression that the level of crime in Switzerland is a lower than in many other European countries, and a lot lower than non-European countries.

How can u be of help to me, am called fola

How can we meet am bevey