London suburbs

Hello Everyone,
Is it possible to save money by living in a suburb instead of living in downtown London?  My spouse would need to commute to work (near Hyde Park) preferably within 35-40minutes.    We have a family and so having a back yard/garden is something we would like to have, even if it's small.  Are there any suburbs you could recommend?

A little off topic, but, are public schools in England of good standards like they are in the US?  I don't understand how some expats send their kids to the private American or British schools that are 15K-25K! 

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have :-)

You're moving from the US to Lebanon, but asking about London?

There are no good places. I went to Caterham High School. School is amazing, one of top 3, easy to get in, but the area unless you travel for 45 minutes is terrible. There are people living in Kent and visiting my school. There is only one with this name in all of England ecaterham.net incase you get mistaken.

Send your kids to there and look for houses but DO NOT live in:
Ilford
Barkingside
Gants Hill
Clayhall
IG1-7
E1-20 codes

I'm American, was in North Africa, currently in Beirut, and moving next year.

My kids are elementary school age, sorry I should've specified.  Thanks for your reply.

First thing - An English public school is a fee paying school (Yes, we're weird)

Government schools vary a lot.
Many have very high standards and produce excellent students, whilst others are totally rubbish, failing to educate at all.
You can find reports here
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ofsted

Thank you Fred, that's a great resource.  I really appreciate your help.

So, let me make sure I understand you..an English public school requires fees, meaning there is no such thing as a free public school in England?!  I think it's safe to say we also have some rubbish public schools in the States, but there's certainly outstanding ones as well.

A public school is a private fee paying school.
That's just the normal term for such a school in the UK.
Government run schools are free schools (to any EEA country citizen), but vary wildly in standards.

Mixing up public schools, the British English term meaning a fee paying private school, with the American English public school, a school for the general public, funded by such.
This is a common misunderstanding, so it's well worth noting.

Fee paying public schools tend to be expensive, but the education is generally top quality.
Free (To EEA area citizens) government schools vary in quality.

https://www.gov.uk/schools-admissions-a … s-children

Hi everybody,

Just to inform you that some inappropriate posts have been removed.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers: