Safety in Mexico

Some of the contrasts are a little hard to absorb.
Minimum wage of 60+ pesos a day.
A little while back, I became aware of a Sedesol pension for those 65+, even residentes temporale y permanentes if not too ashamed to claim it.

580 pesos a month paid as 1160 pesos every other month.  It may be enough to buy food if it's almost all tortillas and beans.  And here I spend between 1500 and 3000 a month on just eating out.

What does that have to do with safety? Except the pensions are so low they are desperate to steal? (possibly)

gudgrief wrote:

A little while back, I became aware of a Sedesol pension for those 65+, even residentes temporale y permanentes if not too ashamed to claim it.

580 pesos a month paid as 1160 pesos every other month.  It may be enough to buy food if it's almost all tortillas and beans.  And here I spend between 1500 and 3000 a month on just eating out.

It is for Mexican Nationals and legal immigrants living permanently in Mexico for more than 25 years only.

http://www.sedesol.gob.mx/es/SEDESOL/In … l_Programa

"Requisitos
Para las y los mexicanos por nacimiento:"

"Los solicitantes no nacidos en México deberán presentar un documento oficial, emitido por las autoridades migratorias mexicanas, que acredite su identidad y edad, así como su permanencia en el país por más de 25 años."

jeanfinney wrote:

What does that have to do with safety? Except the pensions are so low they are desperate to steal? (possibly)

It has to do with being aware of conditions in the country and adjusting your own behavior accordingly.

alleycat1 wrote:
gudgrief wrote:

It is for Mexican Nationals and legal immigrants living permanently in Mexico for more than 25 years only.

http://www.sedesol.gob.mx/es/SEDESOL/In … l_Programa

"Requisitos
Para las y los mexicanos por nacimiento:"

"Los solicitantes no nacidos en México deberán presentar un documento oficial, emitido por las autoridades migratorias mexicanas, que acredite su identidad y edad, así como su permanencia en el país por más de 25 años."

Good point.  I missed the 25 years and also that you can't have more than 1092 pesos a month income from pensions.

People living on so little is one of the contrasts.  You may not notice this in the expat and tourist meccas.

Hello everyone,

Thank you everyone for your contribution on this field  :)

@gudgrief and alleycat1, it is a very interesting aspect you have pointed out, maybe you should consider creating a new thread on the Mexico forum about minimum wage and pension.

It is better we stick to the topic here : Safety in Mexico

All the best,
Bhavna

This from maryellen1952, 16 July 18:40:13 on Page 1 -
"The best way to avoid being a victim of crime is to be AWARE of what is going on in your surroundings...and most expats here are not in that category."
Observation of and understanding of the social and economic conditions in an area is part of insuring your safety.
Sorry if you think that's a digression.  I'll leave it at that.

You can't compare living as an expat with someone on a pension.  Most Mexicans do not eat out often; that is part of Western culture.  This is a problem with expats when they move to a foreign country; they try to compare their lifestyle with a local and it is impossible.   You would probably ask me how I live on $1,000USD/mth on SS but I do it and have a car and a dog and still save money every month.  BUT I rarely eat out which consumes a big hunk of your budget.  Not every expat who lives in Mexico or anywhere else is on a hefty pension; I guess you haven't encountered many of them in your life in Mexico.  When I lived in Tijuana I met many Americans living there who were homeless or on the verge of homelessness when they were in the U.S.  This is one of the things I don't like about living around a lot of expats esp. those with hefty pensions.  They forget not everyone else is in their same situation.  it is called lack of cultural empathy and very endemic esp. to Americans.

Christine wrote:

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Mexico?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Mexico and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I feel very safe in Mexico.  I live in the State of Hidalgo for three months at a time.  When there, I travel by car everywhere.  Acapulco is 6 hrs. away, Veracruz is 6 hrs away,   Morelia, Michoacán  3 hrs., Queretaro is 1.5 hrs., and Mexico City is is only one hour away.  Everywhere I go I feel safe.  Even though my Subaru has New Mexico License Plates, it is not an issue.  Once in a while traffic police may ask about the car and I offer my documentation without hesitation.  They are super friendly and nice.

Christine wrote:

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Mexico?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Mexico and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I feel very safe in Mexico.  I live in the State of Hidalgo for three months at a time.  When there, I travel by car everywhere.  Acapulco is 6 hrs. away, Veracruz is 6 hrs away,   Morelia, Michoacán  3 hrs., Queretaro is 1.5 hrs., and Mexico City is is only one hour away.  Everywhere I go I feel safe.  Even though my Subaru has New Mexico License Plates, it is not an issue.  Once in a while traffic police may ask about the car and I offer my documentation without hesitation.  They are super friendly and nice.

Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone,

@gudgrief and alleycat1, it is a very interesting aspect you have pointed out, maybe you should consider creating a new thread on the Mexico forum about minimum wage and pension.

All the best,
Bhavna

Sorry , but I have to agree with goodgrief. the difference in life style and income is a major factor. It is as 2 others have pointed out. Poverty, especially next to affluence  and lack of empathy breeds instability and a decline in safety. It just is and always has been.

it is not the intended result but it is driven by attitude and inability to relate to others. People will meet expectations usually, be they high or low. So in my opinion those issues are part of safety. Trust and security can be built, but it requires action from both sides. You can not come to mexico with the usual myths of lazy, fat stupid an untrustworthy, You must make an effort to know and respect the people. If you make the effort you will be safer and feel safer because they will respond by looking out for you and informing you of risks,

Sorry I just tuned in and I am lost? I worked in a job in the USA that addressed inequality ( racial and economic) and discrimination that lead to the violence that we see in our country. Chicago being a excellent ( but only one of many ) examples. I feel much safer here using common sense than in the area I lived in the states. So does this address both topics?

Mel01 wrote:

Sorry I just tuned in and I am lost? I worked in a job in the USA that addressed inequality ( racial and economic) and discrimination that lead to the violence that we see in our country. Chicago being a excellent ( but only one of many ) examples. I feel much safer here using common sense than in the area I lived in the states. So does this address both topics?

Yes Mel01 I would say so.

travellight wrote:
Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone,

All the best,
Bhavna

Sorry , but I have to agree with goodgrief. the difference in life style and income is a major factor. It is as 2 others have pointed out. Poverty, especially next to affluence  and lack of empathy breeds instability and a decline in safety. It just is and always has been.

it is not the intended result but it is driven by attitude and inability to relate to others. People will meet expectations usually, be they high or low. So in my opinion those issues are part of safety. Trust and security can be built, but it requires action from both sides. You can not come to mexico with the usual myths of lazy, fat stupid an untrustworthy, You must make an effort to know and respect the people. If you make the effort you will be safer and feel safer because they will respond by looking out for you and informing you of risks,

Almost all Mexicans are open and accepting and respond to your openness.  The closer you get to people, the more they will accept you as part of their lives and bring you into their "inner" circle.  But to get back to the main topic of the thread, do as you would in any unknown area.  Go where the locals congregate, be alert and watchful of your belongings and don't walk down dark alleys.  Even in the middle of cartel territory, you're probably as safe as you are in your hometown unless you get mixed up with the cartels.

Thievery is rampant in the places I have lived in Mexico.I live in the historic district  Morelia where my girlfriend has had three battery's stolen from her car while parked outside my house.She lives in a desirable area but her house has sixteen foot walls adorned with razor wire,and of course she has the steel exterior doors,because as she says "I know what the people are like".I have planted trees outside,stolen.Put up exterior security lights,stolen.As for feeling safe in Mexico,just as in every other country I have lived in,I certainly do feel safe because I use common sense relative to where I am.

Yes I can relate , I lived in Palm Springs Ca. I went out to start my car , dead! Opened the hood no battery! That was 1979 . My parents were broken into 3 times in palm springs they put bars on all the windows and doors and bought a Doberman that was 1981. My dad said he lived in prison while all the criminals were out there free! My home was robbed twice in Rancho Mirage ca. In 1985.

"As for feeling safe in Mexico,just as in every other country I have lived in,I certainly do feel safe because I use common sense relative to where I am."

As you need to in most populous areas around the world.

stinkyboy1 wrote:

Thievery is rampant in the places I have lived in Mexico.I live in the historic district  Morelia where my girlfriend has had three battery's stolen from her car while parked outside my house.She lives in a desirable area but her house has sixteen foot walls adorned with razor wire,and of course she has the steel exterior doors,because as she says "I know what the people are like".I have planted trees outside,stolen.Put up exterior security lights,stolen.As for feeling safe in Mexico,just as in every other country I have lived in,I certainly do feel safe because I use common sense relative to where I am.

Yep, true in the U.S, and in every other country including Mexico. I have Crystal or broken glass cemented on top of my walls and locks on every door as well as metal bars that come down to lock the french type doors that face the garden. My car is in a locked garage, your girlfriend might want to consider that. No one took my battery on my other car but they helped themselves to all of the badges. antenna are popular also.

In the U.S. I have lost jewelry and someone dug up my plant on mothers day ( for their mother I assume).

My personal experience, travelled Mexico for 10 years with an RV, 4 years renting for 6 months and prior did 2 months with backpacks, visited almost all 32 states of Mexico. During these travers, always felt safe but all most use commun sence.
We now will be permanent residents in a Mexican town were the locals are opened minded.

Adios, GyC.